The Burrito War

Comments

• comparing shawarma to a gyro is like comparing a big mac to an artisan burger. Shawarma just doesn't stack up in any way to the gyro, unless you have a very active imagination
  • Craving both gyros and shawarma, and I'm not sure I've even ever had shawarma. No longer winning..

The burritos that I made WERE good, though. (sniffle)
  • Everyone except @aegoth, c'mere, I know an excellent Lebanese place. 

Aegoth can go suck the iron out of a railroad spike for dinner.
  • Sorry, I'll be too busy enjoying the culinary superiority of Greek food.
  • Greek is just shy Lebanese food, where you try to patch over everything that's wrong with it with yogurt.

I can do this all day.
  • Sorry, I can't hear you over how Greeks literally invented meat wrapped in a pita. And modern civilisation... but hey, if you want to go eat something because you thought it was cool that Iron Man mentioned it in Avengers, instead of it actually being good food, that's on you.

Gauntlet has been thrown a while ago
  • edited May 2018
    Yeah for sure, cuz unleavened bread is only possibly found in Greece. Middle eastern mountain bread is miles better than whitewashed pita, and some of us don't hang onto fads, we're actually good at picking the right thing, pleb. The Greeks have only contributed some decent olives and tzatziki, and you can't ride that train the rest of history. 

For the record, paederasty was one of the cornerstones of that drug-addled corner of the world, but by all means, let's turn a blind eye to the things that suck, again.
  • edited May 2018
    Man, I didn't know you had a craving for moldy, stale bread. That explains why you must have no tastebuds to truly appreciate the flavourful bounty of the gyro. Tzatziki is indeed a monumental contribution to society, but I wonder what the lebanese have contributed aside from meat slathered in heavy spices so as to mask the fact that it has been marinated in dirt. Truly it is a wonder you are even making such a poor attempt at elevating such a food to a pedestal it will never earn.

As for paederasty, that's been a thing looong before Greece, dating back to Messopotamia. And let's not act like Catholicism didn't support it either
  • Yes, all those middle eastern Catholics. 

Sumac as a spice is at least tzatziki's equal! And if you can't appreciate a good falafel or a perfect kibbeh, then I've gone from angry to sorry for you in one second flat. 

• edited May 2018
    The fact that you even compared a mere spice like sumac to the glory of Tzatziki shows your vast ignorance as to matters concerning exemplary victuals. I am disappointed and alarmed that such reprehensible zealotry exists to disrupt the natural order of the culinary world

Edit: Re: middle eastern catholics.... Byzantine Empire, bro
  • Fake Romans have a different culinary heritage! Also a spice > a sauce. 

I'm glad you didn't decide to try and speak up against two of the most perfect street foods on earth. 

Like I said, a bunch of mediocre stuff covered up with decent yogurt. 
  • Lmao, a simple thread about Darkwalker VS Artemis (Wrathwalkers, anyone?) turned into a food/culture/history thread. Lmao. This is what happens when I leave for a night. NOTED. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Lol perfect street foods? Clearly you have not had souvlakis or tiropitas, because that's just sad. Spice > sauce will never be a thing, because the flavour profile is far more complex for tzatziki. Like I said, dirt-soaked meat covered in spices.

Byzantines also started off as catholics bc of Emperor Constantine. It wasn't until the Ottomans took over that its religion changed
  • edited May 2018
    What you consider traditional Turkish culinary heritage is primarily of Persian/fertile crescent descent, not southern European!

Without that sauce, that food is nothing. Persian lime, sumac, and fresh herbs and everything that comes off those coals is perfect.

Also, if you think there's anything better than a perfect falafel, I've lost my will to fight you. Just... get help. You don't have to live like this :(
  • Dude, even a lowly empanada is better than a falafel.. c'mon. That being said, I'm much more partial to imagawayaki as a street food snack. Also, it sounds like you never had an actual greek gyro which, being that you live in america, I can understand and sympathise. Go to Greece and have a real one. I promise you that you will never go back. Nothing beats fresh Greek spiced lamb rested on oven-roasted pita, nestled betwixt cool lettuce and tomato slices. Don't even need the tzatziki to appreciate the perfection, since it's served on the side :)
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Boys, you're both fucking nerds, it's okay. Just kiss already.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I was eating shawarma long before the Avengers. Dearborn, MI (part of the Metro Detroit area) has the largest middle-eastern population outside of the middle east, and as a result that food is BOMB. I'm not knocking Greek food either, given that I've been in Greektown in downtown Detroit more times than I can count, but if it's between shawarma and gyros, the former wins out.

• Firmly in the falafel camp on this one

• <-- has had Greek food made by real life Greeks! Not in Greece, in Italy, but they were pretty genuine. Didn't speak a lick of anything else, point-at-the-menu kind of place (it was really good). Am srs foodie. 

Also have had a lot of Middle Eastern food in a few places in the Mediterranean, and Turkey! Sorry, homie. This shit's for real. 
  • We have a massive amount of greeks in Melbourne, and they make some fantastic foods. I don't think I could say what's my favourite, because it really depends on what I'm going for. 

However, if it ain't got meat, get your ass off the street. 
  • Rangor said:
    I eagerly wait for the unknown God who comes from the side and lays claim to the Darkenwood while we're busy fighting eachother!

Lots of fun though, most of it's incredibly even and it's good to see so many new and old players coming back to join in.
    Incoming dubious Genesis.

"Tlalaiad shall see the Tsol'teth rise...

... Even if that means all else must burn."
  • I don't know who to trust here. @Aegoth likes his steaks medium-well... Soooo.....
  • An Italian Greek is just a lie. 

Medium RARE Puxi >:(
  • Can I just have all of it pls thanks. Food is the best, but Mediterranean/middle Eastern is my favorite. 

One of the best food experiences I had in my life though was hot fresh falafel wrapped in a pita with some other stuff, street food near a market in Egypt. Not all falafel is good, but that stuff was uhmazing.

So are gyros.

I'm hungry. :(
  • Cailin's assertion of Gyro over Shawarma means I win. Suck my Dickbigdick, Reyson
  • -eating Nutella straight from the jar-

that’s real fucking neato guys
  • Everybody knows cheeseburgers are king. 
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Five Guys wins

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • In n Out > Five Guys
  • edited May 2018
    Puxi said:
    In n Out > Five Guys
    Five Guys > Restaurant Regulations > In n Out