Newbie Achaean Discord?

I've been talking with some friends who've been interested in playing Achaea, but they've been worried about the learning curve of playing a MUD. I remember playing for the first time and being so lost and confused on what to do that it turned me away a couple times. I think there's an Achaean discord out there somewhere, but I was maybe thinking of making a discord catered towards new/newish players in terms of basic commands and sort of a place to go and ask obvious new people questions. You know, have a couple channels to explain the classes and how they work or like I just mentioned, a channel with basic commands and what they do/what they're for (i.e. CHELP, HHELP). And of course seasoned players can join if they'd like and offer to help out. Just sort of tossing ideas around :D 

What are your thoughts?
I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
discord: aciidwire#5240
Please check out my new art page!

Comments

• I think adding a #newbie channel to the current Achaea discord might be nice... But on the other hand, why not just ask your newbie questions in-game? 

Bit of a tangent, but I've often thought Achaea could use an OLDBIE channel or maybe just a clan.
  • Cailin said:
    I think adding a #newbie channel to the current Achaea discord might be nice... But on the other hand, why not just ask your newbie questions in-game? 

Bit of a tangent, but I've often thought Achaea could use an OLDBIE channel or maybe just a clan.
    See, I tried to get my boyfriend to do that, as he's completely new to MUDs and Achaea, and he literally can't bring himself to. I guess it depends on the person's personality, but I can understand how intimidating it may seem to ask a seasoned player basic things, not knowing how they'll react. (Suffice to say, most people are super nice!) 

All in all, I guess it'd be a nice hub to have stationary channels that someone can go back and forth to and openly discuss with new players as well. And an OLDBIE channel would be pretty great!

• That being said, he's from FFXIV where you custom emote with /em and he's slipped up and accidentally done that a couple times, forgetting there's an EMOTE LIST.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Xae said:
    That being said, he's from FFXIV where you custom emote with /em and he's slipped up and accidentally done that a couple times, forgetting there's an EMOTE LIST.
    Tell him to make an alias for /em!
  • I mean, you can emote too! That's what the EMOTE command is for.
  • Austere said:
    Xae said:
    That being said, he's from FFXIV where you custom emote with /em and he's slipped up and accidentally done that a couple times, forgetting there's an EMOTE LIST.
    Tell him to make an alias for /em!
    He's wanting to do basic emotes but will literally type em yay, by accident. Haha

• em wtf
  • Alias it so "em whatever" just sends the whatever.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited May 2018
    I would strongly advise using the NEWBIE channel in game, rather than a Discord channel. The information will be more accurate (especially if from a guide), plus they may get the guidance they need from questions other newbies ask.

The HELP files in game are really good too, and (usually) bang up to date.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Ah well, just a thought!

• I think adding a #newbie channel to the current discord isn't a bad idea. @Rom
  • edited May 2018
    current discord has way too many channels as is, just ask in general or #achaea (or ask your house/city/friends ingame ideally tbh. you're missing out on IC interaction opportunities everytime you ask ooc)
  • Xae said:
    See, I tried to get my boyfriend to do that, as he's completely new to MUDs and Achaea, and he literally can't bring himself to. I guess it depends on the person's personality, but I can understand how intimidating it may seem to ask a seasoned player basic things, not knowing how they'll react. (Suffice to say, most people are super nice!)
    Does he know that the newbie channel is usually staffed by guides who literally do nothing but sit around waiting to help newbies?
  • I mean, it's not the character interactions, it's actually how to play MUDs. His biggest struggle is not being able to ask people out of character how to do something or what to do. Like, I remember when I first joined, people kept telling me to use my scrolls and didn't explain that the HELP function was the scrolls lol.

• That being said, that's where the learning curve is lol. We're experienced roleplayers but trying to ask someone in character how to actually play is a little difficult. It was just a thought I guess

• Xae said:
    I mean, it's not the character interactions, it's actually how to play MUDs. His biggest struggle is not being able to ask people out of character how to do something or what to do. Like, I remember when I first joined, people kept telling me to use my scrolls and didn't explain that the HELP function was the scrolls lol.
    Tell him to just straight up ask OOC questions, then.

If  he's concerned about it, he can just put up his //RPshields or something. Only a complete and total asshole is going to get upset about a new player asking an OOC question about how the game works, and surprisingly enough, most of here aren't complete assholes.
  • Nazihk said:
    Xae said:
    I mean, it's not the character interactions, it's actually how to play MUDs. His biggest struggle is not being able to ask people out of character how to do something or what to do. Like, I remember when I first joined, people kept telling me to use my scrolls and didn't explain that the HELP function was the scrolls lol.
    Tell him to just straight up ask OOC questions, then.

If  he's concerned about it, he can just put up his //RPshields or something. Only a complete and total asshole is going to get upset about a new player asking an OOC question about how the game works, and surprisingly enough, most of here aren't complete assholes.
    And I mean this in general, not every new player is gonna know that or who to turn to. It was just my biggest concern haha. 

• @Babel What I was trying to get at was that it would be an open discord, each channel having their own areas like Cities and Houses, which would be locked, and have basic commands like HNT and HHELP. And another for classes with basic commands, also locked, that people could refer to without spamming their current game. Of course there would be different channels for game related stuff or intro to combat, etc. I never suggested to segment the small community, but have everyone help out as a whole. Being new to a MUD in general can be daunting and I was only suggesting it for truly new players that can be ooc without having to wonder if they should break character and ask someone; with the help of seasoned players helping them. Figured it was better to get real time help yknow? :)

• @Xae I understand where you're coming from. Honestly, if someone is having trouble I'll usually tell them through tells that it's okay to be a bit insane so they can ask what they need. The goal is to make something that is very overwhelming to be welcoming as possible. Sending tells to the Guides is also a great way to get help if shy or not wanting to "feel stupid". Most of us have been there and understand. I learn new things constantly, so it's a huge learning curve and we all get it. 
  • You can be ooc on newbie channel though... or in // tells as someone said.

I understand that it's hard being a newbie sure but making an ooc discord to ask stuff that can be done in game is just going to be a crutch that people rely on to not rp or meet people ingame.

Thousands of people learned how to play muds while inside the mud itself, your friend will be fine.
  • edited May 2018
    If anyone dares to ask questions to me ooc, or tries to use //ooc:((RPSHIELDS)) on me, they will be killed swiftly. Especially if it's your boyfriend
  • Ah, it was just a thought! I just thought, maybe, it would help players since while playing with my boyfriend across the room, he kept asking me how to do simple things. Plus, like I mentioned, I asked people who had never played MUDs (my FFXIV buddies) and they felt the OOC help would help them all IC. :) Thanks for the feedback everyone. 

• You've had so many helpful answers, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I wanted to make sure that you caught it:

NEWBIE is an ooc channel.

Questions about how to play the game are perfectly fine on there, and so are ooc tells to the guides (Romeo and Juliet). Sometimes people even ask questions about Nexus on there. "How do I play the game?" "How do I emote?" are perfectly acceptable questions. As a mentor, I've answered the question "How do I buy from a shop?", on Newbie, about four or five times in the past few days. I'm thinking about making an alias for the answer.

As a matter of fact, the whole purpose of NEWBIE is to be exactly what you asked for. So while it might be difficult or intimidating for him, just try to encourage him to do that. :)
  • @Cailin Yes I caught it and know that. And the whole thing isn't about one person, it's about a group of people I know. I told them the same thing but they're like "ehh, I would prefer x". Whole reason why I even suggested it.

• Just make your own

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I appreciate the feedback everyone, thanks!

• Can I join the discord? new player I'm only level 14
  • Of course!

https://discord.gg/cgSz5w

invite tag, it's a WIP but questions and information is readily available in hopefully a more concerted environment :)
  • Can I get a new discord invite? I don't remember the email address I signed up for with it, and I've actually made a new discord account that I'm really using this time I swear, and I could totally use the Nexus channel. <3