Idea: City Guard Command Posts & Semaphore Towers

Comments

• Other random thoughts, as I've kicked this idea around a bit:

- Would like to have a way to order guards en-masse, rather than one at a time. For example, group a stack of constables into a squad and manage them with something like:

CITY GUARD FORM SQUAD <guard_ID, guard_ID, guard_ID, guard_ID, guard_ID>
    -(or just limit it to the guards in the current room)
    CITY GUARD STATION <squad_ID>
    CITY GUARD SQUAD HOLDPOSITION <squad_ID>
    CITY GUARD SQUAD DISBAND <squad_ID>
    etc.

- To guard against abuse of the above, the channel time for squad movement could be the following:
    Peacetime (no raid in progress): 30-45 seconds (allows easy repositioning and rearranging of squads when not under threat)
    Pre-raid (deaths have occurred but not yet to the level of a sanction): 45-90 seconds
    During sanction: 120-150 seconds (close to normal channeling time for a full stack - too much? too little?)

Mind you, this is all based on a single person doing the work. A stack of five guards could still be moved in the usual 30-second channel time if you have five Security aides all moving them at once.

• Why is anyone wasting time, thought, and ptecious energy into something that will never come to pass? No one likes guards, no one wants to see them buffed, and any idea other than "make more ways for us to counteract and remove guards from the equation" will be met with derision and contempt. You are thinking in the complete opposite direction of where people want this game to evolve, sorry to say.
  • edited April 2018
    Aegoth said:
    Why is anyone wasting time, thought, and ptecious energy into something that will never come to pass? No one likes guards, no one wants to see them buffed, and any idea other than "make more ways for us to counteract and remove guards from the equation" will be met with derision and contempt. You are thinking in the complete opposite direction of where people want this game to evolve, sorry to say.
    Um, hmm, last time I checked this *was* the "Ideas" forum...you know, for ideas and suggestions in general, not just "Only ideas that suit my playstyle and fuck the rest of you" type of ideas.

• If it's not the latter, then why did you post in the first place? :/
  • It's an actual idea. It's not set in stone, it can and would be adjusted to strike a balance between our playstyles.

• Suggesting a buff to guards in any fashion is absurdly ignominious and, as far as I'm concerned, a rather poorly thought out joke. Serious ideas only please. Like how to make guards LESS impactful to city defence and raids
  • Reyson said:
    You do, though? Enemies hit totems every time they enter a room and have don't stacking on them just to stand around. How are those not massive terrain advantages?
    In fairness, totems are rarely going to be an issue. Smudging an area around you before the defense team rushes is going to happen much more often than them being ready to rush you before you can finish smudging.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Aegoth said:
    Why is anyone wasting time, thought, and ptecious energy into something that will never come to pass? No one likes guards, no one wants to see them buffed, and any idea other than "make more ways for us to counteract and remove guards from the equation" will be met with derision and contempt. You are thinking in the complete opposite direction of where people want this game to evolve, sorry to say.
    I wouldn't mind seeing more guard buffs, if it meant that raiders got more counters other than "Have a mage? No? Get fucked."
  • Nazihk said:
    Aegoth said:
    I wouldn't mind seeing more guard buffs, if it meant that raiders got more counters other than "Have a mage? No? Get fucked."
    Or Earthlord!

...pfffft :lol:
  • I'm not sure guards have to be less impactful. Maybe in some minor ways, but otherwise they serve a purpose as is. They definitely don't have to be stronger though, yeah.
  • I would also like cities to be better defended. Raiding a city directly should require some significant prior setup to disable what ought to otherwise be fairly absolute defenses.

It'd give more meaning to winning a direct raid, whereas now there is little.
  • Lenn said:
    I would also like cities to be better defended. Raiding a city directly should require some significant prior setup to disable what ought to otherwise be fairly absolute defenses.

It'd give more meaning to winning a direct raid, whereas now there is little.
    That's what players are for.
  • People also said priests wouldn't get worked on.  I definitely like the idea of guard specialized side-grades.  There could be interesting types, such as mentioned earlier.  More utility and less "come to room, kill stuff"
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • TalamondTalamond Atop his throne of books
    I changed my mind. Delete guards, make every factional class available to everyone, combine Eleusis with Ashtan, delete Mhaldor, split Cyrene off to its own game about arts and crafts or whatever they do, make all city layouts like Mhaldor's, integrate Starmourn, and flip the wilderness map on its axis just because. Also, rename the game Planetside III: Artefact Promo.

...I don't have anything productive. I just like talking about Achaea.
  • @Minifie But as I understand it, current raid strategy 101 is to raid only when there are no players.
  • yeah in an alternate reality
  • I swear you have been avoiding Farrah.  Do you guys just not like her?  She is nice, really.
  • lawyers are bad people :angry:
  • Talamond said:
    combine Eleusis with Ashtan
    On behalf of most of Ashtan: No thank you.

We'll take forestal classes, tho. The rest can go somewhere else.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Pyori said:
    Talamond said:
    combine Eleusis with Ashtan
    On behalf of most of Ashtan: No thank you.

We'll take forestal classes, tho. The rest can go somewhere else.
    We actually want our Gods to stick around.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kiet said:
    lawyers are bad people :angry:
    That's clearly not always true since Farrah is good people

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Aralaya said:
    Kiet said:
    lawyers are bad people :angry:
    That's clearly not always true since Farrah is good people
    Jinsun and Bonko aren't.

That's 2:1, lawyers confirmed bad people.

•  :(.       
  • Leonard French. 2:2 (I got your back).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=691s&v=gVsbOz4OHIU
  • Harvey Birdman 3:2
  • Jackie Chiles.. 4:2
  • Johnnie cochran 4:3
  • TalamondTalamond Atop his throne of books
    What the hell does any of this have to do with PK litigation? Get back to work.
  • Talamond 4:4
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Herenicus 5:4