Dragon Talisman swap

Hello everyone!

So @Nataliia and I were talking as we've been trying to work our way toward Elder Dragon. Pieces are fun to buy and trade, gold teeth and blue scales are still terrible to come across, and it is a good time sink for post-Dragon bashing. 

But, after the change to transmutation and reviewing the forgotten gold sinks that exist in the game, she had an idea that I loved. 

The pitch: You are able to spend X amount of gold to change 1 dragon talisman piece of x level into another dragon talisman piece of x level within the same talisman. Example would be spending gold on a level 1 gold dragon bone to try to turn it into any other piece in the gold dragon set (scale, tooth, brain stem). The rare piece has a lower percentage chance to be the result, while all the other pieces share the same percentage. If you didn't get the piece you want, you can try to turn it again for the same gold cost, but the piece it was originally is on the table for results. 

For anyone who has played Diablo 3 semi-recently, it would be akin to the Kanai Cube business with set pieces, but instead of using mats it would use gold. Perhaps the gold would even scale for the level piece you're changing (i.e. 10k for trying to change a level 1 piece, 70k for trying to change a level 7 piece). For those who have not played Diablo 3, you get an item called a Kanai's Cube. Set armor is powerful armor that is a very rare drop and is more powerful the more pieces you have. For the longest time, you could only get set pieces if and when they dropped randomly. With the Cube, you could put in a set piece you owned with a good amount of materials and try to change the set piece into one you didn't have.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes the piece you changed turned into a set piece you already had, then when you tried to turn the piece again, it turned back into its original piece. It was a gamble, but it could possibly give instant gratification for the cost of materials. This would add in a gold-sink to the game, it would create a decision of risk/reward for gambling with your pieces, and it wouldn't speed up the path to Elder any more than buying the pieces from other people like it is now. 

Thoughts? Feedback? Discussion? Have at it! 

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    A level 7 piece is 64 level 1 pieces, not 7, so if a level 1 piece would cost 10k, shouldn't a level 7 piece cost 640k?

You can buy most pieces from other players for 1k each, so you'd only really ever have people trying to get gold tooth and blue scale with this mechanism, which would then lower their value.

The beauty of the Dragon (and Azatlan) talismans is that they can't easily be bought wholesale, unlike every other talisman set in the game.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Not sure why people think gold teeth/blue scale should be as rare as they are... when they're supposed to be -common- pieces. There are actually rare dragon pieces for rarity, so devaluing teeth/scale with this change is a no-brainer, to me. People are too spoiled
  • Klendathu said:
    A level 7 piece is 64 level 1 pieces, not 7, so if a level 1 piece would cost 10k, shouldn't a level 7 piece cost 640k?

You can buy most pieces from other players for 1k each, so you'd only really ever have people trying to get gold tooth and blue scale with this mechanism, which would then lower their value.

The beauty of the Dragon (and Azatlan) talismans is that they can't easily be bought wholesale, unlike every other talisman set in the game.
    Change isn't intended to make it easily bought wholesale. You'd still need 64 pieces of each of them, and if you are intent on getting all pieces via this mechanism, you'd still need to acquire the same amount of pieces either way. 

And to agree with @Aegoth, Gold Tooth and Blue Scale are meant to be common pieces, so devaluing them from 5 credits per is not a bad thing. The acquisition of the set should not be artificially lengthened by a bug in the code. What instead would happen is I decide if I want to bash up my pieces, sell my extras to people who are trying to buy their own pieces via the talisman roullette, or keep them in the hopes of making a second Elder set or something. At the end of the day, though, the -goal- of this is to create a gold sink that has a reward everyone can enjoy, creates an opportunity of instant gratification with gambling, and removes a rarity that should not be there. 

I can still get 50k-100k/day bashing, and even with having spent ~150k on pieces in the past three days, I'm still up 300k from where I started a few days ago. Now imagine the possibility to NOT inject that much more gold into the system if I could take all the extra pieces I have received and instead decide to gamble with them to try to complete my blue/gold/silver/green talismans. Hell, even IF it was 640k to try to change my level 7 extra piece into another level 7 that I do need, it would be tempting. Why? Because time spent spamming market, bashing and hoping, trading pieces, etc. I can -still- do that, sure, or I could drop 1.2 million and have my piece I need, or I could drop 2.4 million and still be needing, just frustrated and having removed millions out of the system/game. 

All the change would do is devalue gold teeth/blue scale and add a way to remove a lot of gold from the system. Win/win, in my opinion, apart from the 1% who somehow get a lot of those to drop and make a good handful of credits out of them. 
  • Honestly, a good idea, in theory there should be an abundance of all pieces, but in different hands, so having another way for people to melt excess stuff down for a “chance” to get something they need seems like a
    no brainer, and a gold sink to boot.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Supposing the swap mechanism is brought in, with truly random (or as truly random as possible) results. How long before the complaints start that people 'never' get the pieces they need, and pitchforks come out for making swap results guaranteed? Then the denizens might as well just drop identical tokens and people just collect up however many are needed and then just swap for what they want.

Do you know for a fact there isn't already an abundance of all pieces? People may just not be selling...

As for the prices people charge, if people didn't pay those prices, people wouldn't sell at those prices. It's perfectly possible to collect the entire Dragon and Azatlan set without buying a single piece.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I think this is a great idea and a proper way to drain gold, just make it expensive. I believe 640k for a lv7 is not enough, not even close. 
  • I would have it restricted to dragon talisman pieces and only level 1 talisman pieces. Only one chance to re-roll/swap a piece and have it around 1000-1500g per turn. Or maybe if we were to have more chances to re-roll/swap a piece it should increase in price each time (1st time 1000g, 2nd 2000g, 3rd 4000g)