Sea of Thieves

Comments

• I hated that chest in Beta.
  • I haven't had any netcode issues.  Once I manage to get in game everything seems to be just fine.  Lately I also haven't had issues joining either.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Came to Achaea forums because I was burned out from playing sea of thieves. Found sea of thieves thread. Brb, playing sea of thieves again.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Connell said:
    Came to Achaea forums because I was burned out from playing sea of thieves. Found sea of thieves thread. Brb, playing sea of thieves again.
    Cliche optional playlist to listen to while playing:

• Only slightly less cliche.
    Notably more badass.
  • Got the game today, my xbox name is Impossibleian, get at me you skip scap scallywags!

• edited March 2018
    Daughter and I spent 3 hours fighting 2 galleys with our sloop and finally made off with the entire vault loot of a stronghold. 17k gold each
  • Zulah said:
    Daughter and I spent 3 hours fighting 2 galleys with our sloop and finally made off with the entire vault loot of a stronghold. 17k gold each
    I'd love to see more people go nuts on sloops. All I ever see is them banging u-turns til I give up the chase. 
  • I kind of like sloops better, they're a lot less clunky than galleys. Galleys are good if you have a full crew of people at 100% attention paying, probably, but a sloop can still outmaneuver them.
  • Totally more manoeverable, but there's something about captaining a three masted ship that really jollys my roger. 
  • edited March 2018
    Galleons I've found are faster than sloops when you have the wind at your back, and slower if you're going into the wind which  makes sense.  I like galleons personally, but I always play with 2-3 other people I know and talk to on discord which makes a world of difference.  Additionally, if you full sails and raise anchor you can just rotate the galleon and keep cannons trained on any enemy ship no matter how fast.
    Hopped on with some friends after work, spotted a stronghold and were in the process of clearing it out. Had fought off another galleon and had just gotten the boss to spawn when, "Server will be going down in 10 minutes for maintenance."

To be fair, they apparently did get advance notice two hours before, as well as the day before, just none of us had noticed.

I'm not subscribed to their Twitter feed to stay on top of such announcements.

• I'm with Torinn. Only time I'm on a galleon is with a number of friends and we're on voice chat the entire time. If I was making random groups I might feel differently about them, but as is, galleons are a lot of fun when you're with people you know.

• I also love finding random people and making friends.  We sunk a ship but one of their crew was on ours.  We made him walk the plank.  We also attacked an anchored galleon and turned out it had nothing and a random crew.  We befriended one of the sailors and took her on our ship and did a stronghold.  Fun stuff, it is very much a socially driven game.
  • Draqoom said:
    Found myself on a galleon with a couple of friends who decided to be dicks. I was not a dick. I was a homeless man/retired admiral who was down on his luck with a drinking problem. Decided to cannon myself onto the sloop my buddies were sinking, repaired it, sailed it away from them.

Meanwhile, crew of the sloop respawns. Sees some disheveled looking bastard boarding up holes on their ship that is sailing ever so elegantly away from the dastardly bastard Galleon. They accept me as one of their own. We set sail for the nearest Skeleton Fort, drinks and instruments in hand. Sadly, I drink so much I stumble off the ship as me new friends sail off into the sunset.
    The random events of this game make it great.

Daughter and I were on a sloop with no treasure and a galley attacked us, sank us. I was hidden on their ship and threw all their treasure chests off the back of the ship then jumped off and moved them all to a small island where my daughter came and picked me up. The last laugh was ours
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    How in the hell do you hide on a ship with a big ol' name above your head? I get galleons are big but surely not to that extent.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    How in the hell do you hide on a ship with a big ol' name above your head? I get galleons are big but surely not to that extent.
    Nobody really goes down to the bottom so if you can sneak aboard and head down there you're pretty safe. Alternatively, I've hid on the mainsail of a galleon for a long time while I watched a four man crew scurry about beneath me, even climbed a ladder passed me without noticing. It's all about being calm and still and trusting that you are invisible.

• edited April 2018
    @Melodie Your name isn't always visible. If you don't move for a bit it goes away. I always hide on the back railing outside the captians chamber. You go to the corner and sit against the wall. Wait for them to start sailing, run into the captains quarters and bring the chests all back to the walkway, then start throwing them overboard off the back.

Our favorite new trick is to drop dynamite off the back of our ship, if another ship touches it it blows up like mines.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Interesting, didn't know about the fading name bit. Will keep that in mind.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    Interesting, didn't know about the fading name bit. Will keep that in mind.
    Its really good in bushes and such, there is large bush near the skull fort vault usually, we've sat 4 people in that and waited for a group to finish to gank them and steal key. People will walk right through you and never see you if you're not wearing bright colors
  • edited April 2018
    How do you drop things over board?  In my experience if you're standing anywhere on the ship, then release, it'll drop where you're standing (even if you're right on the edge).  Is this not true?  Or do you do a little hop to get around that?
  • Torinn said:
    How do you drop things over board?  In my experience if you're standing anywhere on the ship, then release, it'll drop where you're standing (even if you're right on the edge).  Is this not true?  Or do you do a little hop to get around that?
    It takes a little practice but you just have to be standing right on the very edge of something to drop below it. 
  • Got in a fight with my galley versus two others over the course of a couple hours. Many multi-leveled battles later, we all sunk, all swapped treasure(unwillingly of course), and finally ended up calling a truce and running 2, 6-man galleys. That battle was everything I had hoped naval combat in SoT could be.....
  • The increased spawn distance after death has helped things a lot in terms of taking strongholds.
  • Torinn said:
    The increased spawn distance after death has helped things a lot in terms of taking strongholds.
    Yeah this was game changing big time. Sucks having to sail all the way across the map for a quest you were on and sunk though, but worth for the pvp aspects.
  • Was gaming my merchants rep up (stockpiling crates by cancelling voyages) and had a sloop with 16 full crates of gold tier animals when a galley decides to show up. Got hit with two low deck cannonballs before starting to head upwind. Boarded and bailed my way to the nearby bigger island with a ton of big rocks poking up around it (shipwreck bay?) and started the obstacle course getaway.

45 minutes later it’s two galleons, me, all the rocks, night, and a full blown storm. Free-for-all between the galleons and me while I run for my life with almost 10k and huge rep sitting on my deck.

Between bailing out the storm rain, firing rifle rounds in the dark towards the galleons behind me, avoiding big ass rocks, and playing the one good shanty on the [insert whatever you call the instrument that isn’t the accordion], I managed to survive long enough for them to sink one another. The champion galleon almost made it, saw them drop anchor and run down to board and bail, but too little too late. I should have sunk so many times. So, so many times.

Best Sea of Thieves session so far

• Hurdy gurdy
    I feel as if I burned out on this pretty quickly. It's fun to play, but it doesn't take very long to essentially do everything there is to do.

At that point it's just working to unlock new cosmetic items and sailing around fighting people. Still fun, but can get dull.