IRE: Origins

Comments

• edited January 2018
    The fiiiirst time I played a mud was during the Bal'met saga, where my only memory is being a novice, picking up something in the mountains and people yelling at me and then a bunch of things coming to kill me and then logging out and never playing that character again :lol:

But I actually started playing for real in late 2013! Not sure what drew me back, maybe a burning desire to understand why I got lol'stomped in .3 seconds.
    I think.
    Possibly early 2000. 

I think I was just a few months after Caelan.
  • Caled said:
    I think.
    Possibly early 2000. 

I think I was just a few months after Caelan.
    Yeah I remember you well.  We had an awesome bunch of Sentinels back then in the guild days.  Perseon, you, Jabbasfrog, Galdrion, Halcyon.. I still remember Othello being the best Sentinel and he got pissed when I beat him in the arena so he went monk and moved to Ashtan.  So many good memories.

• Believe this was my first character and im back on it now. Joined back just before Mhaldor was created and the shit hit the fan with the Infernals in ashtan. Infact that whole storey is probably what got me hooked. I was one of the many people who took the piss out of others for playing it before getting hooked :p
  • Started in Imperian during my freshman year.. That was uh.. 03?
  • Always been Achaea. Geez, I can't remember when I started my first character but I wanna say somewhere around... 2006? A few breaks in between each of course.
  • Native, started in 2002 while stationed in South Korea. Saw an ad for the game, thought it sounded interesting and went to play...and that was it =)

• UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    Started playing in 1998 or 1999, I think.

• I started way back in 06 or 07 for a year and then forgot about it for a long time. I remembered it when I was in Korea too and started again. Must be something in the air out there.
  • 2008, just turned 17, my parents had the computers at my house on lockdown after my Burning Crusade late night fiascos and my friend and I were sick of the PS2. When we found Achaea, we were glad we could play it on his shitty old laptop. God, those days were awful  :s

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • 2008, just turned 17
    Is this white Exel talking, or azn Exel?

• edited August 2018
    Native Achaean, though I have played all IRE games. Started in August 1999 though my first char that stuck was around April 2000ish I think. Achaea still feels like home, even with all the changes in the last 19 years. I've been playing Achaea longer than my non-Achaean life, which is a sobering thought, haha. 

I still miss the adventurer in Azdun that got stabbed in the back by a goblin during the intro. :anguished:
  • Pyori said:
    2008, just turned 17
    Is this white Exel talking, or azn Exel?
    Always stirring up trouble.
  • Herutar said:

I still miss the adventurer in Azdun that got stabbed in the back by a goblin during the intro. :anguished:

I remember that to this day.  I was all "OMG WTF how do I cure my health?  No one even told me that and they have me taking hits. Stupid game."  20 year later....

• When were maps implemented? I remember playing before you could use the map, I quit the first few characters I made because I kept getting lost. There began my addiction to making a new character every time I ran into an obstacle. 

I played MKO for quite a while and enjoyed it more than any of the other IRE games not including Achaea, was sad when they nuked it.
  • The map was the best feature they ever implemented. By far.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Maps came out 2008 as announced by Clementius

miss u clem <3
  • Didya know Perseon drew that, and didn't use any kind of mapping app?  I remember because the first time he shared it I assumed he'd managed to get zmud mapper to work and asked him how, but he was just as confused about that as me. I forget what he did use, but it was something like paintshop.
  • I knew that.  I still have that, and the overland graphic map originally made.  Good ol' Uncle Perseon

• XaeXae
    edited August 2018
    2007 Achaean here. Xae is probably my 4th character, whom I decided to stick with in 2010? I remember making her just before I graduated high school.
    I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
    discord: aciidwire#5240
    Please check out my new art page!

• edited September 2018
    First played MKO way back in 2010. Was a fan of the novels and I fell in love with the game, to the point that I became more addicted to MKO than the novels. I stopped playing in 2013 because I had started college and couldn't find enough time to play.

I graduated last year, hoping I could return to MKO, now that I have a lot of time to spare. Sadly, MKO had already shut down. So, here I am on Achaea, having way more fun and experiencing way more things than I used to on MKO. I'll never forget Midkemia Online though. Hehe.
  • Started in spring 2003 during my freshman year of high school, coming from the banner ad that was on 8-Bit Theater. I remember that I couldn't figure out how to create a character at first through the Java client, so I spent the afternoon reading through all the histories online. I probably would still have been a lore nerd, but that certainly set the stage for it.
  • My cousin introduced me to Achaea in 2001, I think. Never played seriously until I moved over to Imperian, then Lusternia on opening day, followed by MKO on opening day. Real life got in the way for a few years and when I came back MKO was gone and Imperian/Lusternia were way different from what I'd known and loved. Sooo I decided to try Achaea again after all these years and after a few abortive character attempts, I have to say I'm loving it.
  • Started Fall 2002 or so. I joined the Paladins guild and was hooked even in spite of the no curing systems and such the challenge made it worth it.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • Native Achaean. Started somewhere 1998. Even though I tried Aetolia and spent a ton of time on Imperian.
    @Achilles Remember those good ol'days, in order to get artifacts you had to attend the artifact auctions that were done in person. The realm would be bogged down, all of us in 1 room and 5 gods trying to quell all the pet spam. Eventually they got around to making the room silent and LOOK wouldn't crash your session..
  • Caelan said:
    I wanted to pick the worst class.  At the time he said it was Sentinel.  
    Dang. This was so true.
    Garner said:
    I first made a Sentinel, remember getting hoisted and carried into the House hall by someone who I can't remember. 

Back then, there were really only a few of us. Blackleaf, Perseon, Vertigo, Halycon. Everyone else mostly kept to themselves and bashed, which Sentinel was actually very good at.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Amitation said:
    Native Achaean. Started somewhere 1998. Even though I tried Aetolia and spent a ton of time on Imperian.
    @Achilles Remember those good ol'days, in order to get artifacts you had to attend the artifact auctions that were done in person. The realm would be bogged down, all of us in 1 room and 5 gods trying to quell all the pet spam. Eventually they got around to making the room silent and LOOK wouldn't crash your session..
    Well the initial auction was for gold, then credits (and this really led to the current artefact market once they realized they could make real money off it).  I don't remember any particular pet spam (I think the first pet was an imp from an auction in fact) unless you mean occultist entities or druid entities.  I do remember that quizzes would often have problems and they added a bunch of things to stop people from idle chatting during them (like BUZZing before you answered).  
  • edited January 2019
    When MKO died, there was a forum question: where will you go? My reply: I never left Achaea.

Edit: so how'd I find Achaea? Blame @Luca, who has been dormant since... meh, I forget when.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • I got reminded about this page today which was basically the old version on the events page: https://web.archive.org/web/20020208005359/http://achaea.com:80/art-lit/modern/modern01.html