Speech based magick

***WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD***

So I was exploring the forests and found some cairn stones with inscriptions, and the inscriptions when used properly activated a teleportation spell. My question is, are there other spells that are reliant on usage of proper words to cast? Such as a ritual to summon something or even a tome of old magick? I would be very interested if there was such a thing, because in most games I typically am a collector of little-known lore that (sadly) have little effect on actual game play. If such things do exist, please let me know!

Best Answer

Answers

• edited January 2018
    There's several quests or secret areas that use words, and depthswalkers have an entire skill for word magic, technically.

Most rituals are dependent on the right words, but rituals are a role-play thing more than a mechanical thing (though they can sometimes have tangible effects, if you put enough effort into them and grab someone's notice).
  • There are still things that have not even been discovered yet, would be my guess. It is a world of mystery.
  • If you're really big on word magic, you might be very interested in Depthswalkers, wielders of stolen Tsol'teth arts. Such is the complexity of Terminus - the Tsol'teth art of using words of power - that even the strongest of Depthswalkers may only 'research' a limited set of words, and must purge his or her mind if they wish to use a new set of magical words.

• So can non-depthswalkers use terminus?
  • VaarShal said:
    So can non-depthswalkers use terminus?
    Unfortunately, yes and no. No because - mechanics-wise - you need to be a Depthswalker, and it would probably be OP when combined with your other class skills. Yes because - RP-wise - the knowledge of Depthswalkers has been planted into our...subconscious, so to speak(you might want to look for the Events post where Parni revealed the class to us for specifics. It's a good read so I won't spoil it for you), and one only needs to choose the path of the Depthswalker to make full use of it.

• They cannot.  It is locked to the Depthswalker class skills
  • Some artefacts also use words. Wings and gems of cloaking spring to mind. 
  • Alright guys, you we're all extremely helpful, but it is very unfortunate there are no hidden voice based spells that aren't class based. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to switch to a depthwalker because I'm a druid, and that night complicate things slightly. Thanks to everyone for their contribution!
  • Anything can be a verbal spell if you just say something beforehand:

chant All your nuts are belong to me!::morph squirrel
  • Dupre said:
    Anything can be a verbal spell if you just say something beforehand:

chant All your nuts are belong to me!::morph squirrel
    No, it can't. Also don't do this.
  • VaarShal said:
    Alright guys, you we're all extremely helpful, but it is very unfortunate there are no hidden voice based spells that aren't class based. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to switch to a depthwalker because I'm a druid, and that night complicate things slightly. Thanks to everyone for their contribution!

To expand on Dupre's joke, might as well do this:

SETALIAS MW exclaim FORM OF...WYVERN!/morph wyvern

Also, Antonius will definitely kill me for suggesting this. Hi Antonius.

• No, you need it to be a trigger on you saying it for it to actually work, otherwise you might have stuttering or in a room with a silence vibe or something and still transform which breaks the RP.
  • SETALIAS MS emote exclaims, "By my powers combined... I... am... CAPTAIN SQUIRREL!"::morph squirrel

Problem solved.