How do you limit your Achaean play-time?

Hello everyone!

I've been playing Achaea for a couple of months extremely intensively during 2013. At some point I only felt alive inside of the game, and eating and sleeping were the only non-achaean activities I was doing each day. (This was during the time I had dropped out of school and was still living with my parents).

At some point, while I loved Achaea very much, I decided that this was really detrimental to my health, so from one day to the next I stopped cold-turkey.

Now, we're five years down the road. A couple of days ago I booted up my old Achaean account again, and it feels like coming home :-).

I really want to continue on playing. However, I do not want to lose myself inside Achaea that much as I did before.
Are there any strategies that you employ to ensure that you do not over-play (and e.g. still catch some sleep every night?)

Thank you!

~Accidaente

Comments

• edited January 2018

Are there any strategies that you employ to ensure that you do not over-play (and e.g. still catch some sleep every night?)

The exact same way I manage any other game. By treating it as a game: if I shouldn't be playing at <x> time, and be doing something else, I do that something else; doesn't matter if I'm doing something "important" in-game. Real life is more important than a game. Self-control is an important trait to learn.
  • Zackery said:
    • BEDTIME! Set a time of night at which you will log off, no matter what.
    This is the big one for me. I’m not as young as I once was, so stay in up until 2-4am before a work day have to be reserved for special occasions. I try to be out of Achaea by 11pm, with emergency cutoff being 12am. Sometimes I fail, but I try to stick to this schedule. It helps that my work/school schedule force me to stay off most of the day, so my play time I’m usually busy be entire time.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I basically work Achaea around my job. I get up two hours before I need to leave for work in the morning so I can log into Achaea for a half hour while eating breakfast to do things that need doing.

When I get home from work, I generally have around three hours to play and some of that time gets spent on cooking/eating dinner so I like to do ship trades during that time.

I have a generally strict bed time of 9pm so I can get 8 hours of sleep every night but I generally don’t go to bed until 10pm.

I tend to be at work during most of the fun stuff so I rely on friends filling me in on Skype so I can catch up during my lunch break. I tend to read/respond to messages on the mobile website during my lunch break but otherwise focus on doing my RL job.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Prioritize real life activities over Achaea.  Achaea is a game and should fit your schedule, not the other way around.  When I have 1-2 hour gaps in my schedule I may play, otherwise work, family, friends take priority.  I also multi-task a lot so I watch tv shows on netflix/hulu/hbo while I'm waiting for something to happen in Achaea.
  • Multitasking is something I do a lot.  Deciding on your priorities and sticking to them too is important.  If you have lots of free time and Achaea is what you want to spend it on, I don't see that as a bad thing.  It's a hobby just like anything else.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Austere said:
    Kids. The ultimate limitater
    This.   And actual life. Work.  War. The usual.

• Austere said:
    Kids. The ultimate limitater
    Fuck my life right now. This so much!
  • Turn yourself into a zombie via work. You'll be too tired at the end of the day and if you got kids or pets, that'll be a bonus.

If in college, look for extracurricular like joining clubs or student orgs. It'll keep you busy and boost your resume too.

If nothint else, going to a gym or setting a plan to spend your free time outside for at least 1 hour a day helps. 
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • The solution is to play Achaea and do everything you need to do at the same time.

Who cares about quality of work?

Someone help I have a problem

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Aralaya said:
    The solution is to play Achaea and do everything you need to do at the same time.

Who cares about quality of work?

Someone help I have a problem
    I tend to allow myself to MUSH a little while having quiet times at work, but I've steered quickly away from Achaea as it is very demanding in terms of urgency/attention, and my phone basically cripples me. Otherwise, as others have said, give it a time of day where you allow yourself to play, and stick to it. Avoid starting demanding activities an hour before that time comes.

For me, that means if bedtime is coming up and suddenly raiders attack, or we launch a raid, I will retire to my bed and make myself innocuous for the last few minutes, or downright QQ and head to sleep. Having been unemployed for close to 9 months, I'm very happy to have my night shift job and for me, it's important I keep a healthy sleep schedule to maintain work quality. 

• By installing Titanfall 2

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • By installing Titanfall 2
    Ewww fps

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Bed time for me. If its near bed time, I won't participate in anything that may take awhile.
  • Solnir said:
    Bed time for me. If its near bed time, I won't participate in anything that may take awhile.
    Sleep is for the weak

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • If you really enjoy the roleplaying elements, consider making it part of your career if possible; if you like it, you may end up loving it and being good at it. If you don't like it, you'll probably stop playing Achaea or play less.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• Tysandr said:
    If you really enjoy the roleplaying elements, consider making it part of your career if possible; if you like it, you may end up loving it and being good at it. If you don't like it, you'll probably stop playing Achaea or play less.
    I'm picturing achaeans dressing up in cloaks and shouting weird shit at work trying to 'rp' 
  • All shall praise the Bloodswarm, now go get me coffee!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Had kids.
  • Get a job that requires me to be up at 4am on work days.  :'(
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Get responsibilities, either irl or in-game, and your eternal tired state will handle it for you!