Fixing Player Housing

Comments

• On a cost basis, a barebones cutter costs you 2.5mil. A single room with no prism and privacy in a subdivision is going to cost you a little over 2mil in comms just looking at the commodity market. The cutter comes with crew upkeep, a house comes with sigil upkeep. The functional difference between the two? You're immune to radiance on a ship. If you go dormant, you can drydock your ship, for your house the ministry of development can lock your plot, making it so you can't even access the plot room. You also don't have to wait for sigils to decay to replace them, mushroom sigils take care of that. Cost only becomes a comparative factor once you get into luxury housing, and well then it's a luxury, it's going to cost you.

Thought I'd look at the claims of cost in the original suggestion, it was interesting to compare. That said, I like my house, I use it all the time and find it preferable to sitting on a ship. I wouldn't be opposed to sigil-like housing upgrades, given all the new order temples seem to have been populated with them as well, but again, convenience comes at a cost. I don't expect that we'll make housing any cheaper for anyone.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    While I would of course love it if housing and its perks were made more affordable, I'm willing to settle for the cost to be exorbitant if we at least get the options to have them. People can save up for them and those who don't want to fork out will just have to accept the added risk, so it seems like the best middle ground possible for both camps. And, as mentioned, a great excuse for a gold sink.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I would still like house guards as a type of servant that happens to hit harder than most. I don't mind there being limits on how many you can have or if it's not OP, since I mainly want them to deter small-time threats like common pick pockets.

This is primarily as the owner of an OOS property who has plans on making it public, a rather niche group (though at least I'm not completely alone), but as far as I'm aware there aren't any options for personal customisation in this regard (even though I'd probably be willing to go that route as long as the end result covered the above utility).
  • Lenn said:
    I would still like house guards as a type of servant that happens to hit harder than most. I don't mind there being limits on how many you can have or if it's not OP, since I mainly want them to deter small-time threats like common pick pockets.

This is primarily as the owner of an OOS property who has plans on making it public, a rather niche group (though at least I'm not completely alone), but as far as I'm aware there aren't any options for personal customisation in this regard (even though I'd probably be willing to go that route as long as the end result covered the above utility).
    Creative ideas are great, but I don't think you want to add any sort of guards or strong denizens to houses. To someone like me, that is an invitation to bring a group into your house to kill them.

• Then I'll hire marks on you or eventually issue you for harassment. Like I said, it's not to deter groups, it's to deter pickpockets. o.o
  • Lenn said:
    Then I'll hire marks on you or eventually issue you for harassment. Like I said, it's not to deter groups, it's to deter pickpockets. o.o
    Issue for harrassment for guard killing? Are you daft? This is precisely why people who issue are ostracized by the community, and why people who do have legitimate issues feel guilty and often don't follow through. 
  • I don't recall spending 20 million gold to entertain griefers, so yes, if someone constantly breaks into my house just to attack me and my things, I would definitely issue without any real remorse. You have plenty of people who enjoy Achaea's group PvP mechanics, I'm not one of them, leave me alone.
  • Who said anything about constantly?  Knee jerk issuing is a problem.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Lenn said:
    Then I'll hire marks on you or eventually issue you for harassment. Like I said, it's not to deter groups, it's to deter pickpockets. o.o
    More reading comprehension on the text forums of a text game, please.
  • Yeah, killing loyals is in no way grounds for issuing for harassment, no matter how many times they do it.
  • House guards go in houses. They don't even let artefact pets deal real damage, and those things cost a fortune, I highly doubt they'll ever introduce housing guards that aren't strictly limited.

Unless our crazy imaginary scenario is that someone will constantly break into my house for no reason, kill my servants, and politely leave, never bothering anyone inside. I guess if you somehow don't bother me, there's no reason to issue you, but I'd probably ask the admins for a refund on the guards if they're okay with another player making them useless for no actual IC reason.
  • Lol   

• Okay, @Cooper, you win.

You're right. @Kiet is right too, and @Nicola is wrong.

Make housing as safe as ships. Then I won't need guards to deal with pickpockets. :)
  • Lenn said:
    House guards go in houses. They don't even let artefact pets deal real damage, and those things cost a fortune, I highly doubt they'll ever introduce housing guards that aren't strictly limited.

This is sadly not true either :/ Farrah's stupid pet does anywhere from 4% to 8.1% my max health, it definitely makes a difference.

• What the heck. I was told mine would deal the minimal damage available.
  • There's just no point in leaving interesting things in your house for visitors to enioy. That coral brazier from Lothos? Better buy 10 cause you're going to need to replace that constantly. Or stick it in a display case where no one can interact with it, making it pointless. Or you could spend 100 credits to make it permanent, and I sure do hope you didn't have plans of redecorating your house every now and then like we do in real life.
     <3 
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    edited January 2018
    Nicola said:
    I'm not going to weigh in on subjects like theft, but ships are not where we want them to be at the moment. They simply aren't changed because we haven't settled on the best course of action for everyone, please don't base player housing expansion on ships as they stand.

In regards to preservation of items, players do have to pay for this in some fashion (ice figurines or credits) because there is something of a load on the server created by the sheer number of items in the game. Simple ways that create mass preservation effects for gold or very little effort are very unlikely to be added to the game beyond what exists now.
    It's good to know this re: ships. If that's the case, then housing has more of a chance to be made more desirable. Personally, I think making ships prismable in harbour is fine - they can just buy anti-prism for their cabin if they want - but maybe there's a drawback I'm not aware of. 

I would still like no prism to be upgradeable to no travel so we have the option to bypass sigil upkeep. The cost factor is what would deter people, so it would be a mere convenience thing - you could still just buy monoliths. But this would also enable outdoor rooms to actually be used instead of being a security risk.

Essentially, I just want more options for housing overall. I'm not really sure that guards that can actually hit are necessary given the playerbase's penchant for guard killing, and servants are expensive. But I'd certainly like the option to have that denizen category in housing denizens, as mentioned.

Edit above: Not really housing related but I really would love it if the items in display cases could be interacted with. Their interactions are half the reason they're special and worth preserving in the first place. Also please let me make certain talismans resetting to a home. :( I would have bought talisman dummies if this was the case.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Mathilda said:
    There's just no point in leaving interesting things in your house for visitors to enioy. That coral brazier from Lothos? Better buy 10 cause you're going to need to replace that constantly. Or stick it in a display case where no one can interact with it, making it pointless. Or you could spend 100 credits to make it permanent, and I sure do hope you didn't have plans of redecorating your house every now and then like we do in real life.
    Have a brazier sitting in my shop that works with the room decor. It decays after forever. So far as I know, you can’t pick them up after they are dropped either unless that got changed on the sly.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited January 2018
    Trey said:
    Tiamat, you're channeling Cain right now. Decide whether that's something you want to do.
    What's this? I sensed some hurt feelins and came running. Who's whining about what now? Waaaahhhhhh I don't know how to use an eye sigil! Waaaahh!
  • Cain said:
    Trey said:
    Tiamat, you're channeling Cain right now. Decide whether that's something you want to do.
    What's this? I sensed some hurt feelins and came running. Who's whining about what now? Waaaahhhhhh I don't know how to use an eye sigil! Waaaahh!
    Cain, we go way back and I love you bro, but you're consistently the most unnecessarily belligerent player I have ever met on the game. That's what I meant. Tiamat's points aren't without merit, but his argument loses all validity when he drops into the snowflake mockery that you tend to lean on.

• Lenn said:
    House guards go in houses. They don't even let artefact pets deal real damage, and those things cost a fortune, I highly doubt they'll ever introduce housing guards that aren't strictly limited.

Unless our crazy imaginary scenario is that someone will constantly break into my house for no reason, kill my servants, and politely leave, never bothering anyone inside. I guess if you somehow don't bother me, there's no reason to issue you, but I'd probably ask the admins for a refund on the guards if they're okay with another player making them useless for no actual IC reason.
    Didn't you hire a Mark on me after I broke into a house that wasn't yours, took nothing, didn't attack you and just told you to leave while we waited for Cyrene to come fight us?

More on topic: I'd get house guards for pure cosmetic reasons. I don't mind them being useless. 
  • I don't see the problem. You broke in fishing for PK, so I sent a mark after you. Isn't that what you wanted? ^^

Though I did consider carefully if hiring was appropriate, but I figured after the threats and such, any PKer would have probably considered attacking you too. You know, later, when you're not surrounded by citymates, not unlike a mark!

Plus, they're always complaining about being starving. o.o
  • If I got hired on for that I'd gank the hirer after (idk maybe you did hire and I cancelled the contract though, which means I never knew. I hate the current mark system cause of that!)
  • I'm confused, how is prisming to someone in a private home -not- valid roleplay justification to attack/hire on that person?
  • Lmao we're back at it! From brazier tattoos to prisms! 

The 'PKers are Devils' question of the month,

"Is TOUCH PRISM enough for cause??"

Let's hear it from the audience!!

/s
  • Keorin said:
    I'm confused, how is prisming to someone in a private home -not- valid roleplay justification to attack/hire on that person?
    Prisming to someone else's house is about as justifiable a reason to hire as seeing someone's desc and not liking it.
  • Just a note on housing guards : Isn't the potential thief just going to kill the guards and then rob you? It sounds like you're just going to get double 'griefed'.
  • Tahquil said:
    Just a note on housing guards : Isn't the potential thief just going to kill the guards and then rob you? It sounds like you're just going to get double 'griefed'.
    The idea is they'd not be soloable.