Fixing Player Housing

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    You cannot non-decay forged armour/weapons, or enchantments. Nor a selection of other things, but those come up the most I think.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    It has been a classlead before that they make it so you can't go into homes as a soul or to make a housing only eye sigil artefact so that souls cannot enter, but obviously neither of those things passed. Would be lovely if they'd reconsider something along those lines, or just anything to make housing appealing and not exorbitantly expensive. I agree display cases shouldn't be the only answer to having items in your home to show them or have them out.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• GawiGawi Washington
    I always found it odd that once you put furniture down you can't pick it up... therefore it cannot be stolen. But other items in houses have to be made returning so that they aren't stolen. 

I really like the ideas for housing. I have always wanted a reason to actually use my house. I wish there were more furniture options, more things to spend your gold on and fill up your house. Things like cupboards, side tables, hutches, mirrors, buffet tables, and pedestals where you can actually see the items you place on them :P 

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    You can destroy furniture with disassemble though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited January 2018
    I love my house honestly, its a money pit sadly. At least its not 100 credits a room and 800 per noprism anymore like it used to be. Would like some options like everyone else, but in the end, one day I do want my house to be able to be broken into. It would be a shame to hoard all my stuff and for it to never, ever, have a chance to be seen by another. To spark imagination of the old times, or things just not available. I know some of you just stick a bunch of your crap in stockrooms or ships, but that is not really good for the community as a whole. I still think there should be some sort of middle ground, then again, if they go full LAX mode on houses, I would like a refund on some of the many things I have done to accomplish a nearly impossible theft proof house. 

PS Some of you guys belong on the Hoarders show. 
  • Houses should be infiltratable.

Houses should not by default be impregnable dump-rooms.

Houses should have an option for displaying cool items in ways that make sense/are organic.

Mannequins/display cases should be moved to furnishing, with an option to nondecay everything in them (like a stockroom) while they're inside the item via a 2 crown artie you can attach to them, to keep the SoW option relevant.

Furnishing should given an option to display stuff without it getting swiped by non-owner.

Things like wall-mounting plaques and pedestals/added functionality for tables, dressers, etc. should be a part of furnishing.

Room upgrade for storage openable by owner seems reasonable. (If you leave it open, you're screwed)

Yes, no, maybe so?

• edited January 2018
    Houses should be infiltratable. (agree)

Houses should not by default be impregnable dump-rooms. (really agree)

Houses should have an option for displaying cool items in ways that make sense/are organic. (agree)

Mannequins/display cases should be moved to furnishing, with an option to nondecay everything in them (like a stockroom) while they're inside the item via a 2 crown artie you can attach to them, to keep the SoW option relevant. -----------(would want a refund for all the things I have non-decayed, and that would assume this new item would be way more than 2 crowns. Maybe a quick Sow Item to have an item resetting in a house so one does not have to bother with emailing customisations all the time for simple requests.) 

Furnishing should given an option to display stuff without it getting swiped by non-owner. (agree)

Things like wall-mounting plaques and pedestals/added functionality for tables, dressers, etc. should be a part of furnishing. (able to not steal paintings easily would be nice, miss some of my old paintings.) 

Room upgrade for storage openable by owner seems reasonable. (If you leave it open, you're screwed) (agree)

Yes, no, maybe so?

(still think there are many other room upgrade options that could be made to make housing more enticing.) 
    (still think many people are missing out on the housing servants and the possibly reactions. @asmodron thanks for showing me again.) 
    (still think the price for some of the upgrades are a bit crazy.) 
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I definitely agree in regards to the upgrade prices. It's even more insane when you have an out-of-subdivision plot, and especially given how lacklustre housing is for anything right now. I also agree with the delete subdivisions proposal but I can't really see that happening, to be honest. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.

If nothing else, this topic is reassuring me that people are interested in housing and more would use it if it was made more interesting. Now I guess we've just got to wait as I know housing isn't high on the agenda right now (if at all).

We got ships, Sylvan and weather rework, we can get housing too...eventually.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I just wish houses weren't such gaping holes to the security of the city. I want my houses to be visited, with places open to all (like my library). But alas, gotta keep it under lock and key in case of raids. I got put off with developing houses because it can only be seen by like 3 people for security reasons.
     <3 
  • Easy Fix: Universal real estate. My house is on the moon. Check mate, thieves.
  • Mathilda said:
    I just wish houses weren't such gaping holes to the security of the city. I want my houses to be visited, with places open to all (like my library). But alas, gotta keep it under lock and key in case of raids. I got put off with developing houses because it can only be seen by like 3 people for security reasons.
    SUBURBS
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• I enjoyed Midkemia's concept.

There was a designated room in the city which was the entrance to the 'housing district' if you will. From there, someone would simply ENTER their home. Third party onlooker would see something akin to "X walks into the housing district, disappearing from sight".

It felt very realistic.

It was basically Lusternia's concept but without the sci-fi aspect.
  • Lol @ the idea that I should spend 1000s of credits because you're an asshole with no decency in you whatsoever. To think you bring conflict by targeting dormant people. The most conflict you've brought in the past rl year was when you tried to be rude to Alrena and got enemied before being destroyed by guards. Get over yourself. At this point instead of refunding you I'd hope they just took all of your items away from you because of all the dormant people you've probably caused to quit the game and will continue to cause to as they log back in eventually to find a coward with a credit card took all their things. Literally the worst kind of person.
  • edited January 2018
    Kogan said:
    Lol @ the idea that I should spend 1000s of credits because you're an asshole with no decency in you whatsoever. To think you bring conflict by targeting dormant people. The most conflict you've brought in the past rl year was when you tried to be rude to Alrena and got enemied before being destroyed by guards. Get over yourself. At this point instead of refunding you I'd hope they just took all of your items away from you because of all the dormant people you've probably caused to quit the game and will continue to cause to as they log back in eventually to find a coward with a credit card took all their things. Literally the worst kind of person.
    Calm your tits buddy, I mean I was buying items from your wife as well over the last year, and guess what, not with credit card swipes. Should they take all the other items I have accrued because your panties are in a wad, and your feelings are hurt? CC argument is as old as my first credit purchase 500 years ago. Glad you can relive the drama as a prima Donna. I have a talisman seatears set I can sell you if you need more ammunition in all the great sorrow I cause your person.
  • Tiamat, you're channeling Cain right now. Decide whether that's something you want to do.

• edited January 2018
    Trey said:
    Tiamat, you're channeling Cain right now. Decide whether that's something you want to do.
    What should I do, just take a blatant rant? I think his opinion is ridiculous. Achaea should never be made into a safe-zone hug box. And yes these are total Cain lines. The point that anyone would quit the game over an item lost is just .... don’t have the words honestly. I’ve been cleaned out numerous times, and well it made me more aware of the possibilities in an open world.
  • edited January 2018
    ^ makes no sense though, why would you drop off your prised possession? Theft is nerfed, this should not even be a point of concern. 

Comes back to the point, 2 crowns displaycase: problem solved.

2 crowns which is relatively cheap, is not 1000s of credits like it’s being made out to be.
  • lmao. Okay lets break this down.

Tiamat said:
     Calm your tits buddy, I mean I was buying items from your wife as well over the last year, and guess what, not with credit card swipes.
    -Congrats lol. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything said.

Should they take all the other items I have accrued because your panties are in a wad, and your feelings are hurt?
    -My feelings aren't hurt. You're just ridiculous and butthurt that someone called you out for being shitty. There's no way that purposefully stealing from dormant people doesn't make you an ass. You picked the wrong thread to walk into and get offended when multiple people have claimed people stealing from dormant folks are terrible for the game.

I have a talisman seatears set I can sell you if you need more ammunition in all the great sorrow I cause your person.
    -Its like arguing with a 12 year old. Nobody said you cause me sorrow, and honestly your response just proves how tilted and salty you got if anything.

The point that anyone would quit the game over an item lost is just .... don’t have the words honestly.
    -Yes, because we all believe you break into a dormant person's house and steal 1 item, and not take everything they'd ever worked for here and collected. You're not fooling anyone and your argument here is completely invalid since nobody is buying this.

• I give up. You guys win. I’d join the church but even that is no more. 
  • edited January 2018
    Tiamat said:
    ^ makes no sense though, why would you drop off your prised possession? Theft is nerfed, this should not even be a point of concern. 

Comes back to the point, 2 crowns displaycase: problem solved.

2 crowns which is relatively cheap, is not 1000s of credits like it’s being made out to be.
    A) Not everyone can afford crowns, even if they aren't 1000s of credits
    B ) In my opinion, theft shouldn't even be in this game, but that's a whole other can of worms that shouldn't be opened.
    C) Having to pay real money to protect your items from someone who steals things for the lulz is an incredibly stupid system.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • edited January 2018
    White wash achaea, awesome. 

Anyone that can afford a house can afford a crown or two.
  • edited January 2018
    There's a really basic reason the theft position is so weak, but I'll spell it out anyway. :)

It's true that there are consequences to theft, being enemy status and XP loss. However, you can just look to the forums to find that there are plenty of people who consider enemy status to be a matter of pride rather than a punishment, and also plenty of people who don't find the loss of XP from a single death to be consequential. Ergo, while theft's consequences may push away some people, they're meaningless for others.

Basic RPG 101 is to pick a build that benefits you, not one that hinders you, so since there are players who do not mind theft's consequences much if at all, we must assume that thieves in general will not mind those consequences, or else they would be unlikely to choose being a thief. Therefore, thieves get reward for little to no real risk, although these risks may admittedly be undesirable for the average non-thief.

Now we turn to the thief's victim. Since theft is possible anytime someone is in a place that makes them a target to theft, ergo any time they aren't on a ship or next to a bunch of guards, there's no specific reward for the thief's victim except that they get to actively play the game outside specified "safe zones." That's the current situation: thief gets reward for minimal risk, victim gets risk for minimal reward.

Edit: The only real exception to this is shop theft, which the reward there is managing a shop, because shops aren't already absurdly expensive, they need a risk factor too I guess. House theft is more along the lines of punishing people for being ignorant, and the only possible reward there is if you use your house as a sort of group storage facility. Both of these forms of theft usually involve people losing way, way more than a single death could justify even if the thief did value the EXP loss of a single death, so the risk/reward remains very skewed.

To argue that theft ought to be buffed is to increase the victim's risk and the thief's corresponding reward. To argue for the removal of such safe zones is to argue that the victim's already meager reward of "getting to play the game" gets reduced down to "getting to be logged into the game."

In other words, anyone who isn't a thief but happens to buy into the pro-thief argument, I've got some snake oil I'd like to sell you for 1000 credits a sip. It just says it's oil, but I assure you, it is 100% certified snake oil.
  • I have some snake priced talisman sets for sale, oh wait that’s all the other ‘respectable cc card swiping’ players around, disregard.
  • That being said, I disagree that display cases are too expensive for house owners. You can argue that houses are too expensive in general, which happens to include the price of display cases, but if you accept the price of housing as-is, then display cases are arguably fairly cheap, costing roughly as much as a couple rooms, not unlike many housing upgrades, ending up cheaper than some of the most expensive upgrades!
  • Make eye sigils nondecay-ble, put city subs in their own area like sewers to prevent houseraids. Also clan housing. Ty
     <3 
  • Except, as I pointed out, not everything makes sense being displayed in a case? You're referring to points peple have largely agreed would be nice to overhaul (i.e. being able to put things that belong on furniture on furniture, with owner-only movement) and bringing the conversation back to an unhelpful place. 

Given there's an entire system for upgrading rooms, I'm not sure why we'd turn to a SoW item to do housing stuff. Make display cases a housing upgrade, along with lockable, immovable containers and add an option for furnishing to prevent anyone but the house owner from putting on/removing from and bam, housing is reliable as a storage -and- display space.

If you want a safe spot, a room and the housing credits for the lockable chest upgrade should be cheaper than a million gold, ostensibly, and if accessibility is improved by allowing a straight-to-house travel option, as some people (myself included) have suggested, I think houses would be more worth investing in. 
  • Like I said, I would love reasonable upgrades, I WANT to use them myself. Calling people **** because we don’t abide buy normal rules, shouldn’t be a point. It’s achaea, this place should have all available options open. I still can’t believe I am getting **** because I am still operating with basically two hands tied behind my back.