Village Contracts

Comments

• edited January 2018
    Well, quisalis/ivory contracts wouldn't be for money but maybe more rep! Avenge the tribe or whatever. 

ETA: Like I said, I much rather prefer a big, angry denizen comes kick your ass if you're too frequent a flier in most cases! Just seems like it'd be a nice boost for the Marks. Also, you can defend areas, but afaik you can't really chase, nor can you gank someone after the fact for bashing in a spot, and a contract definitely lets you do that, so it's a neat little extra danger you can take upon yourself if you wanna hunt the biggest and the baddest. 
  • Reyson said:
    Also, you can defend areas, but afaik you can't really chase, nor can you gank someone after the fact for bashing in a spot
    Say that louder, for those in the back.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• I liked the event Imperian had a couple years ago. @Nazihk @Vender might be able to remember it, where if you hunted horde areas enough (that is, mobs with ogres/trolls/orcs/goblins in it)  They continuously sent assassins after you for a while, which could come at you anywhere- including while you were sitting in the middle of your city, although others could see them moving through your city.

They weren't particularly hard for people to handle (though multiple could come at once), but Achaea code seems capable enough to be able to tailor-scale the mobs to the level of the person they're hunting. Could also scale the amount/frequency with how many the person slays. That said, they could pretty easily kill people if they came after you while you were hunting another area, or if you were afk somewhere when they came. For some people it was enough to deter them hunting those places, and force them to find other places and explore... Although for others it just added more exp/gold :P
  • I would love for this to be implemented, for the sole reason of the satisfaction it would bring me when Achaea's population drops precipitously when all the non-coms inevitably quit playing and then the strongest proponents to the idea would be all "What, how could this happen? No one expected this outcome!!!"
     <3 
  • A system designed to only affect like 1% of bashers (who tf bashes that much, honestly?) is going to destroy the game? lol
  • Noncoms should already be leaving then. You already can't hunt the following types of areas without potential PvP happening: cities, villages allied to cities, treacherous planes, islands requiring ship travel, and now elemental planes.

So why are they still here? o.o
  • Let's do it, then.
     <3 
  • edited January 2018
    I think the mistake here on both sides is assuming there are two distinct groups - bashers and combatants.  If we want to talk realistically, we need to focus on something that works for both because there really isn't that divide.  Atalkez' idea for instance is great.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • You missed the part where people said to add new bashing areas to make up for the loss. o.o
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    The World Tree just opened up, plenty of places in there to go exploring

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • @Cadan so you don't care that whole villages are wiped out repeatedly and nothing comes of it?
  • Yggdrasil is terrible bashing for the non-Dragon or non-artifacted, due to the hazards of just travelling through it.
     <3 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited January 2018
    Torinn said:
    @Cadan so you don't care that whole villages are wiped out repeatedly and nothing comes of it?
    I mean, lets be real. Its been that way forever. I think its a bit late to want to throw it into people's face that they might not want to make bashing riskier when it is already a pain. 

I also think he raises some valid points, as did Nazhik before. This (specially in conjunction with player marks) will punish people people who go out to make gold or bash to dragon or whatever. The player marks have to do absolutely nothing, just wait until some poor idiot reaches the threshold and happily pound him or her down. At the very least, if things went this way, marks should have to actively and continually do something as well instead of just sit on their rears, just like people have to continually hunt to get 'hired' on.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Torinn said:
    @Cadan so you don't care that whole villages are wiped out repeatedly and nothing comes of it?
    My problems aren't related to anything IC. Right now, I don't care about IC implications. I'm far more worried about how the players themselves are going to react to these mechanics. Interesting mechanics and fun mechanics aren't always the same thing, and when interesting is not fun, it doesn't matter how much IC sense it makes or what sort of thoughtful feeling it gives to the player if the player stops playing, particularly in a game like Achaea.

These mechanics will put a significant portion of the playerbase off, plain and simple. All the IC justification in the world won't change that fact.
  • I think having a stronger version of one of the denizens found in the area attacking you would be interesting.

Player marks for this concept would be down right silly.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • I would be down for the original idea but only if there is a counterweight of a Dreadpillar coming down on people who PK too much. It will encourage conflict!

But seriously, in regards to @Penwize "what is the difference", PK is much harder than bashing, and if you are just messing around on Achaea socializing you still have a pretty good chance at defending yourself against a mob. If you haven't done work on a system you are pretty fucked if anyone decides to come kill you, let alone the people into combat enough to join mark.
  • Agreed with denizen scaling or denizen assassins for sure.  I don't ascribe to the "it's been this way forever" argument, personally, so would like to see some sort of consequences to drive RP with denizens.
  • Nazihk said:
    Atalkez said:
    Like I suggested, having it be a progressively harder denizen themed for the area would be awesome. Only when you’ve defeated their entire champion list, and continued to kill them, would a mark get generated.

That seems to be a fair twist to the system, imo. It would be awesome to have Oberion come down to kick my ass for killing so many of his people.
    "Your reward for excelling in all of these PvE challenges is that Dunn murders you because you're shit at fighting serpents" is a shitty design.

If the primary goal is just to make it feel like depopulating villages has consequences, it would be better just to keep scaling their denizen attackers up.
    Well that’s why I mentioned the big hitters like Oberion. You’re not surviving that encounter, but if you did, he would just hire an adventurer.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • It’s a fresh take on something that, as you mentioned, is widely used but nearly all the exact same way. Go grind this area, go grind that area, level up, repeat.

How is that interesting or fun? Removing the player mark idea, why doesn’t Istarion, a well-built, sentient village do anything to the person? As a first time hunter, or first time in the area - it wouldn’t effect you.

This would effect the people that mow these poor villages down constantly, every other hour, with the barest of care in the world. I can hunt Istarion and barely even be threatened by their mobs, so I imagine plenty of others can as well. How is that interesting or fun?

Adding a bit of spice to a rote activity is well worth trying, even if it’s on a small scale with like Tir or something.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I don’t think anyone would be too worried about NPCs coming to attack you for continual killing of a village, but having them send a mark after you meshes pvp and pve together as well as a medium rare steak and a handful of cow shit. Annwyn/UW/ivory tower/quis den all do a good job of mixing pvp and pve together just fine without too much trouble.

if villages want to hire marks, then make it so all marks have to quest the village to fanatical first, that way the village WANTS to hire other adventurers :D
  • edited January 2018
    Achaea is a game about roleplaying your character.  It's about making and telling stories.  That is the game, you can hunt or PvP all you want but it is story driven.  To have villages not do anything after being the victim of genocide completely ruins the immersion because it means those npcs that you're supposed to think of and look at as other people clearly are not.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Torinn said:
    Achaea is a game about roleplaying your character.  It's about making and telling stories.  That is the game, you can hunt or PvP all you want but it is story driven.  To have villages not do anything after being the victim of genocide completely ruins the immersion because it means those npcs that you're supposed to think of and look at as other people clearly are not.
    That stinks a lot of 'the only proper way of playing the game is the way I play it'

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Sometimes it's about winding off from a day at work and that means just mindlessly bashing to relax. Because it's dull, because it's predictable, because you don't have to be on your toes all the freaking time.

• edited January 2018
    https://www.achaea.com - right at the top, guys and gals, first thing is immersion.  It's not just me, so stop being so hostile.  Nobody is trying to take anything away, just trying to enhance this game's selling point.