Seeking Combat Advice

Hello everyone! I've been enjoying Achaea so much recently that I decided to invest into multiclassing as a shaman.  So far, I really enjoy it! Conceptually the combat is really cool, the utility is neat, and the roleplay really clicks with me. The problem being, I only have a vague concept of the combat, as my first class (2h runie) doesn't afford me a very deep background in affliction-based combat.

From what I think I understand, we have tzantza, locking, and inflame as kill options. I've tried each, and have managed only inflame. I struggle to stick very many afflictions on anyone at any given point, and properly curing hemophilia shuts me down so hard it's kinda funny. So! Clearly I don't know what I'm doing. Would someone be so kind as to help me gain a proper understanding of shaman combat? Namely, how to stick afflictions and turn that into a lock or tzantza, and how to successfully inflame against hemophilia prio if this is at all possible. I'll admit, if I could do nothing but inflame, I totally would. That skill makes me extremely happy.

Thank you!

Best Answers

Answers

• @Amranu make yourself useful

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • @Kiet Anywhere I could read up on affliction theory?
  • edited January 2018
    Usually your house/mentors will teach that IC, though there's probably a forum post somewhere about it if you search for afflictions, herb balance, or the class forums for the aff classes.
  • edited January 2018
    Neraka said:
    @Kiet Anywhere I could read up on affliction theory?
    Cyrene, Shield and Cyrenian Academy of Combat clan. I am not joking.
  • lol, generally we don't try to recruit in advice threads. Mhaldor, Targossas, and Ashtan would all teach better.
  • Kiet said:
    lol, generally we don't try to recruit in advice threads. Mhaldor, Targossas, and Ashtan would all teach better.
    Cos CAC has very good scrolls and that's really where the theory can be read up. I think we teach really well, won't lose to the cities you mentioned. 

But it is very long winded if I have time I will write more, an on phone now, or approach me in game. 
  • @Dochitha You can always try and recruit Neraka IC, but know in advance, it's going to be very difficult. 

Update though! Ran through some libraries, talked to some people, and now I at least have a semblance of a clue what I'm doing. Progress! I just never feel like I'm using vodun to it's full potential. All I know to do with dolls is limb breaks and soulscourge imbibe slickness. Also don't feel like I could tzantza without a lock with my current knowledge.
  • @Kiet is a shaman :)
  • Neraka said:
    @Dochitha You can always try and recruit Neraka IC, but know in advance, it's going to be very difficult. 

Update though! Ran through some libraries, talked to some people, and now I at least have a semblance of a clue what I'm doing. Progress! I just never feel like I'm using vodun to it's full potential. All I know to do with dolls is limb breaks and soulscourge imbibe slickness. Also don't feel like I could tzantza without a lock with my current knowledge.
    I don't really recruit. But still feel free to hit me up with your questions. 
  • You should try and bother @Calira. She's in your city, and probably the best Shaman I know.
  • Does impatience really halve mana sips? I've never heard that before. 

• It does last I saw

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Cooper said:
    Does impatience really halve mana sips? I've never heard that before. 

Yus.
  • @Amranu Woah!! Thank you so much! I've actually been practicing that advanced kill you mentioned with the resto apply since my IC tutors made me aware of it. I've only gotten it once but it was so incredibly satisfying. You're definitely right about my not giving vodun enough focus. As for haemophilia... I still think inflame is incredibly fun purely based on the visual of setting someone's blood on fire, but I've learned to only really threaten inflame and never actually do it (unless they let me) because other kill paths are more reliable. I was way too insistent on inflame because at the time locks didn't make sense. They do now though!
  • Bad shamans use the momentum route and neglect Vodun and think it's a bad class.

Good shamans understand that Vodun is the heart and soul of the class.
  • @Armali It seriously is. I'm so happy I learned that!