The ongoing Yggdrasil event

Comments

• ELord doesn't take weeks to do just ask any of us we'd gladly help you.  Just might require a reshuffling of your time priorities until you get it.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • edited December 2017
    Karren said:
    Kiet said:
    Karren said:
    My original post came off a bit shittier than I intended, and I apologize. I would never intentionally insult the admin, I have nothing but respect for you guys and I do not envy your job.

That being said, my complaint still stands. The last two major releases have left me feeling incredibly frustrated. All of this amazing, fun content that was essentially locked behind absurd membership requirements or time consuming tasks. As the player base continues to age, and we all accept more responsibilities in our own life, forcing us to join Orders or quest for RL days, just to be able to access the new plane, or pickup a new class, is just a design that I will never get behind.

That's not to say I don't think people who do those things should not be rewarded. I think they should. I'm perfectly okay with them getting benefits that I can't get simply because they have more time to spend. That's a really cool idea, and I'd love to see more of that.

What I don't want to see is those people who do have more time to spend be the -only- ones who get to play with these new things. That's a ridiculously poor decision to make, because you're cutting off a huge portion of the game.

I'm really glad you guys have enjoyed the quest, and the new areas. That's great. Achaea is so much more fun when people like Zulah, Austere, Dunn, etc, are all engaged and participating in events. I think it's amazing that you can earn a new class completely IG, and I'm glad people are doing it, and enjoying it!

But I'd like to play, too, and I simply don't have/won't commit my limited free time to doing things that are not enjoyable to me. I don't think this is an unfair stance to take, and I think the burden is on the administration to figure out a way for players like me to be able to, y'know, play Achaea.
    This is some spoiled child mentality, no offense.

You don't need to 'quest for hours' to access any of the new areas. You can, right now, walk up to the embassy, take a 30 second scripted interview, and then explore all the elemental planes to your leisure. The rest of the tree is easily accessed by typing 'embrace flame.' If you meant nish... well nish isn't new. It's also a bit ridiculous to expect mechanics to strengthen order identity to cater to people not even affiliated to a divine. You don't even have to be in the order yourself.

It doesn't take ridiculous amounts of time to get elemental lord. Playing leisurely (like spending 30-60 mins a day at most), it should take a week or two at most to get unless you're a mhaldorian trying to get water (you're not).

If you're so narrow-scoped that you only enjoy one thing in achaea (here, pk, but it could be anything), then that's 100% your choice, and it'll, 100%, have consequences. If you never involve yourself in city politics you'll never make a difference in your city, either, but would you come here and suggest you should be able to buy city leadership so you can force your city to go to war so you can get more pk?

You have like 20 other classes to access purely through paying your way through. Allow people to have tangible rewards for content they enjoy, and don't seek to diminish the feeling of accomplishment because you can't be bothered.
    Firstly, you can't be a total cunt and then follow it up with 'no offense'. That's a Ricky Bobby mentality, and you're better than that. 

Secondly, I'm glad you brought up the ways to enjoy Achaea, because there are -so- many different ways to do it. What I enjoy isn't necessarily what you enjoy, and it's certainly not what Kyrra (first name I could think of) enjoys. I think people get so caught up in what they enjoy and are convinced that this is the 'right' way to play Achaea. There is no right way to play Achaea, which is the beauty of it, and a huge reason why I keep coming back.

I'm not suggesting that I be able to buy Dawnlord, because that's absurd. That circles back to my point that people who do have more time should get things I could never hope to accomplish, and that's a good thing. Achaea should never be a place where you can just buy things that should require a time investment.

What I can do, though, is join a city that actively participates in combat, and with minimal time investment, get involved and get my pk fix that way. That's really all I'm suggesting here. A way to participate in all the really, really cool stuff the admin cook up without ruining my social life, or calling in to work. 

I'm sorry if any of you feel diminished because I suggested that you should be able to buy into new content, but this isn't some world changing view. Achaea is a game, and I get excited when new things get released in games I enjoy, and I get incredibly frustrated when I find out that it'll require RL weeks of time investment before I get to participate. 

My criticism is of your (currently displayed, not overall) mentality, not of you as a person.

You can experience all the new content with very little time commitment, the same way you can join a city and let other people do the heavy lifting. What you want isn't just to experience it, though, you want the reward at the end like being a city leader would be.

You're hyperbolizing how much time EL needs, and you're arguing in bad faith by doing so. You spent orders of magnitude more time getting dragon just fine.

• Kiet said:
    It doesn't take ridiculous amounts of time to get elemental lord. Playing leisurely (like spending 30-60 mins a day at most), it should take a week or two at most to get unless you're a mhaldorian trying to get water (you're not).

If you're so narrow-scoped that you only enjoy one thing in achaea (here, pk, but it could be anything), then that's 100% your choice, and it'll, 100%, have consequences. If you never involve yourself in city politics you'll never make a difference in your city, either, but would you come here and suggest you should be able to buy city leadership so you can force your city to go to war so you can get more pk? .
    Cooper said:
    If you don't like questing, ask friends to help you. You can get EL in two days if you try.

Checks progress. Um, clearly, @Jadys & I  doing something wrong. :confused:

Save me, Tom Cruise! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get the fire on me!

But 100% agree: Making this a purchasable class is wholly antithetical to its introduction and set-up. Imagine too the frustration of everyone who can't afford to go this route and has taken real-life weeks to work on it. 
  • Kiet said:
    Karren said:
    My original post came off a bit shittier than I intended, and I apologize. I would never intentionally insult the admin, I have nothing but respect for you guys and I do not envy your job.

That being said, my complaint still stands. The last two major releases have left me feeling incredibly frustrated. All of this amazing, fun content that was essentially locked behind absurd membership requirements or time consuming tasks. As the player base continues to age, and we all accept more responsibilities in our own life, forcing us to join Orders or quest for RL days, just to be able to access the new plane, or pickup a new class, is just a design that I will never get behind.

That's not to say I don't think people who do those things should not be rewarded. I think they should. I'm perfectly okay with them getting benefits that I can't get simply because they have more time to spend. That's a really cool idea, and I'd love to see more of that.

What I don't want to see is those people who do have more time to spend be the -only- ones who get to play with these new things. That's a ridiculously poor decision to make, because you're cutting off a huge portion of the game.

I'm really glad you guys have enjoyed the quest, and the new areas. That's great. Achaea is so much more fun when people like Zulah, Austere, Dunn, etc, are all engaged and participating in events. I think it's amazing that you can earn a new class completely IG, and I'm glad people are doing it, and enjoying it!

But I'd like to play, too, and I simply don't have/won't commit my limited free time to doing things that are not enjoyable to me. I don't think this is an unfair stance to take, and I think the burden is on the administration to figure out a way for players like me to be able to, y'know, play Achaea.
    This is some spoiled child mentality, no offense.

You don't need to 'quest for hours' to access any of the new areas. You can, right now, walk up to the embassy, take a 30 second scripted interview, and then explore all the elemental planes to your leisure. The rest of the tree is easily accessed by typing 'embrace flame.' If you meant nish... well nish isn't new. It's also a bit ridiculous to expect mechanics to strengthen order identity to cater to people not even affiliated to a divine. You don't even have to be in the order yourself.

If you're so narrow-scoped that you only enjoy one thing in achaea (here, pk, but it could be anything), then that's 100% your choice, and it'll, 100%, have consequences. If you never involve yourself in city politics you'll never make a difference in your city, either, but would you come here and suggest you should be able to buy city leadership so you can force your city to go to war so you can get more pk?

You have like 20 other classes to access purely through paying your way through. Allow people to have tangible rewards for content they enjoy, and don't seek to diminish the feeling of accomplishment because you can't be bothered.

You are behaving like such a hypocrite

You and your friends said it was 'alright for people to feel frustrated from IC mechanics and should be allowed to express that here' when you were leaping to defend one of your citymates.

Someone else comes to complain and suddenly you seek to insult them and state they have a "spoiled child mentality"?

To quote one of you:

"She does have other options, but bringing feedback is not "tantruming", even if it is worded in a way that comes across frustrated and upset. Devs will take it and apply it or not change it, that's fine."

Let him express his dissatisfaction to the system. That is his right as a player. At least he worded it well enough and expressed the issue, rather than just cuss the system.
  • Karren said:
    That's really all I'm suggesting here. A way to participate in all the really, really cool stuff the admin cook up without ruining my social life, or calling in to work.
    Elemental lord already fits this perfectly.  Yes, you won't get in on it first couple of weeks because you didn't rush it, but spending an hour a day on it will get you there in a pretty reasonable amount of time.  Especially now that quests are mostly known and people can help out. 

If you want to buy your way to it, offer commission for people to kill things for you or acquire items for you.  I've seen plenty of people doing that, and it's actually been one of my favourite things about the tree.  I've almost become a mercenary with how many people have paid me to go kill very strong mobs they need for quests.  It's been a lot of fun, and I've had some neat interactions with people I ordinarily wouldn't have had the opportunity to interact with.  Especially offensively, @Shirszae (grumble grumble).
  • edited December 2017
    Fuck guys... it's only been realised for 3 weeks. Just .. shhhhh. Shhhhhhhh.... You have months (at least) to check out the new shit before something else world changing happens. You don't need to start sprinting for the finish line right away.
  • Truax said:

Save me, Tom Cruise! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get the fire on me!

It's dependent, of course, on how stuck you get on certain parts! Some people will take much less or much more, depending on how quickly they figure out puzzles.

Asmodron said:

You are behaving like such a hypocrite

You and your friends said it was 'alright for people to feel frustrated from IC mechanics and should be allowed to express that here' when you were leaping to defend one of your citymates.

Someone else comes to complain and suddenly you seek to insult them and state they have a "spoiled child mentality"?

To quote one of you:

"She does have other options, but bringing feedback is not "tantruming", even if it is worded in a way that comes across frustrated and upset. Devs will take it and apply it or not change it, that's fine."

Let him express his dissatisfaction to the system. That is his right as a player. At least he worded it well enough and expressed the issue, rather than just cuss the system.
    There is no 'feedback' behind 'let me just buy this.' Letting people buy this would worsen the game. Making water lord harder or easier would not have had a tangible effect on the overall game. Situations differ through context.

You shouldn't cling to 'lost' arguments so hard that you bring them up like a week or two later, it's weird.
  • Kiet said:
    Truax said:

It's dependent, of course, on how stuck you get on certain parts! Some people will take much less or much more, depending on how quickly they figure out puzzles. 

I can't even get to the puzzle part. Fire faction people are being about as tight-lipped as a doxy house worker on her day off too.  :s

• Truax said:
    Kiet said:
    Truax said:

I can't even get to the puzzle part. Fire faction people are being about as tight-lipped as a doxy house worker on her day off too.  :s

every quest's a puzzle!
  • edited January 2018
    Kiet said:
    Truax said:
    Kiet said:
    Truax said:

every quest's a puzzle!
    When you're only getting 1 quest per day and you're still a Colonel..after 3 weeks. While other people get EL for your faction in 3 hours. It feels like it is way beyond figuring out puzzles. 
  • Yeah. Definitely helps to actually get quests to work on. I have zero problem with figuring things out. Just give me something to figure out!
  • Truax said:
    Kiet said:
    Truax said:
    Kiet said:
    Truax said:

every quest's a puzzle!
    When you're only getting 1 quest per day and you're still a Colonel..after 3 weeks. While other people get EL for your faction in 3 hours. It feels like it is way beyond figuring out puzzles. 
    If you've talked to other people and what was working for them isn't working for you, you should BUG it. You should definitely be getting more quests than that.

• edited January 2018
    Cooper said:
    Truax said:
    Kiet said:
    Truax said:
    Kiet said:
    Truax said:

every quest's a puzzle!
    If you've talked to other people and what was working for them isn't working for you, you should BUG it. You should definitely be getting more quests than that.
    Thanks, we already did that - @Jadys and I both did actually, and we were told it was working exactly as intended. How that's possible, I don't know. The "factors" that go into deciding whether someone take 3 hours to get EL and someone else takes over 2 weeks are super secret, I guess.

It's just terribly frustrating though to see someone come into the realm not having done any of the quest line prior and 3 hours later have what you've been toiling at for 14 days. 
  • Does Ashtan have any fire lords? I'd hit them up!

• Zulah said:
    Synbios said:
    Zulah said:

It's a horrid bashing class. (Currently newbie kicking bashes faster than air lord)

Not to be nitpicky, but as an Earth Lord, bashing as one is a god-send for me.

Other than that, I agree with the rest of your statement.
    I should have been more specific as I don't know how other lords bash. Air Lord bashing alone is what I was referring to. Its bad on a whole other level of bad.

Also just realized - while bashing a Dreadpilar in a group, I realized that I could possibly survive its last few health percentages by GOING TURBO going Titan. The stun-at-end is less of a liability when other people are smacking it around.

• I support Karren's points. 
  • @karren if you want to pay me 2k credits I can carry you there. 
  • @Ictinus don't forget you helped me when I basically broke the entire Earth Plane!

do I get an honours line for that

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • edited January 2018
    Minifie said:
    @karren if you want to pay me 2k credits I can carry you there. 
    I can do that for 2K credits as well, plus give you a free earthen shovel set. <prolly illegal so...
    I will sell you an earthen shovel set for 2K credits from this month's promo, in appreciation I will bring you to get Earth Lord.
  • edited January 2018
    Cooper said:
    So now that this has been out for a while, here are some general frustrations that have been bugging me. If you don't like to read extreme bitching and complaining, please skip the rest of this.

1. The amount of "fuck you" that is on the tree, or on the various planes. Examples being things that block all your exits AND chase, or prevent you from leaving the room entirely, or that do insane afflictions so that running isn't really an option. Walking up the tree without bashing for 15 minutes is almost impossible as a high level, massive artied dragon. Normal people can't even think about doing it.

2. The amount of extremely powerful stuff that just randomly smashes you and you die, causing you to have to spend the time to embrace death, embrace flame, walk back to the plane, embrace flame, and then hope that thing doesn't walk into your room again.

3. The weird syntaxes that no one knows about that you're just supposed to figure out. No one would have been able to figure out the Water Lord quests without repeated hints from admin, because some of the stuff was so obscure that it was beyond reasonable to figure out.

4. The general direction of making mobs so powerful and so hindering, that it is almost pointless trying to bash them. See: things that do restoration breaks (or multiple restoration breaks at the same time) while proning you faster than you can cure, doing blackout over and over, doing double loki afflictions every 2 seconds, etc. This is not fun, or rewarding. Blackout causes massive anxiety, and adds nothing to what the denizen can actually do.

5. The general direction of making stronger mobs crit immune. Honours mobs I am fine with, but if it isn't an honours mob, it should not be crit immune. I paid thousands of dollars to be able to kill things more quickly, and this is almost entirely negated by "lol this mob is crit immune". It used to be only extremely powerful things were this way, but the amount of stuff on Yggdrasil this way (some of it that you have to kill to walk up the tree) has gotten ridiculous.

6. Low gold drops, low xp, for things that are much harder to bash than something like vertani or sidhe or Moghedu, etc. Not only does it take a long time to walk to these places, they are much harder to bash, AND the rewards are lower.

Hands down agree with all of this. And don't get me wrong, I LOVE the lore behind the World Tree--I always have. And I understand the new content needs to be difficult enough to engage the stronger players who have invested so much time and money into the game. However:

1)/2)/4)/6): I feel all these points go hand in hand. I rather dislike traversing up the tree anymore because of how much of a chore it is to even climb it. Not distance or time wise, just slogging through mechanics that exist only to seemingly one-shot me.

I have Atavian flying that luckily takes away the risk of the rats that dogpile on me and soak in two afflictions a hit or the Slavers that block all exits unless I tumble away (who chase and continue to block). But THE DAMN VINES almost up at the top prevent any sort of progress. They snatch me down which usually results in 3 afflictions and a Slaver pound fest. In fact, I have lost two sets of scimitars to the Slavers (finally got smart with fist sigils on my newest set). I'm not really sure why the vines exist in this area other than to snatch me down and ruin any motivation I have of exploring the top.

The mobs on the tree aren't really fun to bash. They are annoying and provide little to no reward for putting up with them other than afterwards I can actually play the game. Honestly I don't know how anyone around my level range (80-90) can walk around without flying or evasion or something.

I'm a bit confused at the recent mob power levels too. Many are listed as extraordinarily strong which I normally can tank with ease, even one or too crushingly strong mobs aren't too bad. But these ones hit like a Mack Truck laced with dynamite shooting up steroids. I walk into the Fire Plane and can almost immediately be indiscriminately smashed by Krractle's finger, a fire slime, or some random collection of rocky dudes that appear and start punching on me. Exploring other planes for fire quests have resulted in similar situations. Perhaps the game is just telling me that I can't do much without a group, which is a shame if I want to complete quests or bash but no one is around the fire camp or in city.

3): I haven't had this experience yet, though I've had some frustrating experiences with quests such as Digging the Latrines. Or after thirty minutes of hunting 5 lesser air elementals (see post above), I returned to turn them in but Rra'den apparently took the month off and was nowhere to be found.

5): I haven't experienced this yet either (and probably won't) but I would agree that only really important or honour mobs should be crit immune, unless it fits their lore and that's like their one power/gimmick. The rats give disease so I can understand the afflictions, maybe some mobs shrug off crits like D&D constructs and slimes used to due to lack of vital points or weak areas?

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    If you can't find a denizen in your camp, it is usually because there's a quest in another plane to kill them and someone has done so. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• #7 CONFIG MAPSHOW ON and then you don't need to type MAP every three rooms.
  • The problem is that PvE in these games is so primitive that there are really only two levels of difficulty.

Things are either utterly trivial and or they're bullshit. It's all but impossible to make anything in between, and I've never really seen any IRE game manage it outside of some gimmick bosses designed for multiple players(Imperian's Lhortae, Rynar, Alekmanhala).

If those mobs weren't such complete bullshit, they wouldn't present any kind of challenge at all to the artifacted upper tier of players who, let's face it, make up a large percentage of this game. I'd much rather have an area full of bullshit rats like the Tree than a supposedly high-tier area like Catacombs that I could basically AFK bash if I wanted.
  • Really feel you there, on most of the points man. 
  • I just wish there was a bit more information to base decisions off of. I've still yet to find any denizen that gives you any tips on how to deal with the Dreadpilar, or Ratatosk. Same thing with the various Titans of the Planes. Trial and error is fine, but that's only going to take you so far!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Here is how me and Proficy killed the Dreadpilar today:

dor kill dreadpilar

• Cooper said:
    Here is how me and Proficy killed the Dreadpilar today:

dor kill dreadpilar
    Solo or bust

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.