What have you designed today?

Comments

• Imperial measurements suck! :(
    Base 10 > Base Fuckyou 

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Hi everyone. Got a tailoring permit thinking I'd give it a try. My first design has been returned twice now, and I could use some help interpreting the rejection. The line in question is:

Sophistication at its best, this breathtaking gown features a strapless, sweetheart neckline and form fit, closely following the curves of the body from the bared arms and shoulders to the tops of the thighs before releasing into a cascade of shimmering intensity.

The rejection is that "a cascade of shimmering intensity" is subjective and inappropriate. The original was "a cascade of shimmering ecstasy." I am trying to describe the degree of the shimmer. It's not a subtle shimmer, so I am trying to describe it as a frenzied, intense, ecstatic, brilliant, fervent, whatever shimmer. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    an intensely shimmering cascade
    a cascade of intensely bright shimmers
    cascading in vibrant shimmers

dazzling shimmers
    vividly shimmering

I think the main problem is that "intensity" and "ecstasy" suggest, in part, an opinion of the viewer, which is not allowed in designs.
  • The problem I see is that "shimmering ecstasy/intensity" is very different from "intense/ecstatic shimmering". The former sounds pretty figurative and subjective, and I would never have guessed that the latter was the intended meaning.
  • You will also need to mention the light source which will cause it to shimmer. 'Blah blah can't shimmer in the dark'

• Thank you everyone!
  • Submitted, approved, completed.

Appearance: an immense, rugged shield of earth and stone
    Dropped: A pile of disturbed earth and stone in the shape of a shield lies here.
    Examined: Large chunks of stone bound by earth make up this colossal shield, with strips of dragonleather within to wield it. The outer stones are engraved with runic symbols, producing a faint heat and a pulsing vermilion glow.

Appearance: an imposing scythe of sharpened stone and earth
    Dropped: A large earthen scythe is here, melding into the ground.
    Examined: The long earthen handle of this scythe is wrapped tightly with dragonleather to provide ease of gripping, while the heft of the weapon is in its blade. Sharpened to a razor's edge, the blade is a solid piece of curved stone, runic symbols engraved along it that pulse with a faint heat and vermilion glow.

I know they aren't perfect, but I'm super, super stoked they got approved. :D
  • edited December 2017
    All approved (crit pendant)

an anatomical heart and soulspear charm pendant

Luminous silver, rendered into a fifteen-inch long chain, gleams like a polished corona, each linked loop delicate in its lustre, but undeniably sturdy in construction. Not even the throes of battle or daily wear will rive this pendant from its owner's throat. The chain coils sinuously around the neck, draped across the the protrusion of the wearer's collarbones, and suspends two sinister charms. Carved into an anatomically-correct humanoid heart, the left charm shimmers as if fresh blood still pumps through it. The effect caused by the faceted rubies studding its globular surface. The important parts of the organ are visible in miniature: the triple aortic tubes bulging from the top, both broad ventricles, and tiny snaking slivers of flowing obsidian marking veins and arteries. The right charm is radiant in its simple construction, an elongated spear of murky crystal with swirls of molten gold gleaming inside the milky gemstone. The tip of the soulspear menaces with deadly intent, honed to a vicious silver-plated point despite being a simple charm.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    @Syndra:

I'd join these two sentences with a comma, because the second seems incomplete:
    Carved into an anatomically-correct humanoid heart, the left charm shimmers as if fresh blood still pumps through it. The effect caused by the faceted rubies studding its globular surface.

I would add a comma between 'point' and 'despite' in the last sentence.

The last three sentences all begin with 'The', you could join the last two into a single sentence with a little light editing.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited December 2017
    With help from Krypton at the start and the final touches from Trey:

a slender scimitar of ink-black steel

A masterfully-crafted scimitar lies here, dark smoke wisping methodically

Crafted with a single purpose in mind, the gentle curve of this blade looks ready to part mail and flesh alike with effortless ease. Three feet of glossy black steel, its razor edge gleams evilly in any light, and trails curious tendrils of dark smoke, like smouldering brimstone. The hilt is carven snakewood in the stylised likeness of a sea serpent, its strong knucklebow guard of polished steel travelling from the base of the blade to the open mouth on the pommel. The wooden surface has been oiled with care, the dappled patterns giving the wood its name rippling in stark contrast like adder skin. Inlaid into the face of the guard, three perfect sapphires sparkle brilliantly, their vivid blueness almost glowing with their own luminescence. Etched near-invisibly into the throat of the blade is a minute smith's mark: crossed rapiers over a forge, the initials "T.A." to either side in flowing calligraphy.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    'has been' is the devil's work. Is. Not has been. Also, you're missing a space between 'and' and 'flesh' in the first sentence. 'the dappled patterns that give the wood its name'

Otherwise I like it :)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    'has been' is the devil's work. Is. Not has been. Also, you're missing a space between 'and' and 'flesh' in the first sentence. 'the dappled patterns that give the wood its name'

Otherwise I like it :)
    the space was from editing into the forum post, fortunately I didn't let -that- go through :D
  • I have some tailor designs I want to make for Lhex, but I want to have them looked over before I submit them (and get them non-decayed because I really like the look of them). Woot for ice figurines. Any suggestions and whatnot welcome! Spoilered because there are eight designs.

-- Jerkin (1 figurine)

Appearance: a sleeveless and hooded ebon leather jerkin

Dropped: A sleeveless jerkin lies here in a heap of ebon leather 

Examined: Made of simple ebon leather, this unadorned jerkin is bereft of its sleeves in standard fashion. Small silver buttons hold the garment closed. A rather deep hood sits atop the cloak, the insides lined with an equally dark cloth. The tail of the jerkin reaches down to the wearer's knees, the leather splitting at the waist.

------------------------------------

-- Doublet (1 figurine)

Appearance: a simple, loose-fitting ivory doublet

Dropped: A simple doublet lies here in a heap of ivory cloth.

Examined: Made of simple white cloth, this unadorned doublet is rather airy and loose on the wearer. Thin white ropes allow the garment to be pulled closed and tied. While the upper arms of the sleeves remain light and loose, the forearms of the garment fit closely, almost tightly, to the wearer.

-- Trousers (1 figurine)

Appearance: a pair of loose-fitting ebon trousers

Dropped: A pair of sturdy trousers lies here in a heap of ebon cloth.

Examined: Made of simple ebon cloth, this unadorned pair of trousers is rather airy and loose on the wearer. Lacking a buckle or drawstrings, the trousers bear loops designed specifically for thin belts. While the waist and thighs of the trousers remain light and loose, the calves of the garment fit closely, almost tightly, to the wearer.

-- Boots (1 figurine)

Appearance: a pair of knee-high ebon leather traveling boots

Dropped: A pair of slightly dusty black leather traveling boots sit here.

Examined: Made of simple ebon leather, these traveling boots are thick and durable. Reaching to a little below the knee of the wearer, the boots bear multiple silver buckles meant to make the boots a snug and firm fit for the wearer. The soles are thick and heavy, ready for the wear and tear of adventure.

-- Deck (2 figurines)

Appearance: an ebon leather tarot deck

Dropped: A slim ebon leather deck lies here in a heap of leather straps.

Examined: This black leather tarot deck is of simple design, lacking any decoration past a symbol of a grinning horned mask imprinted front and center. Two long leather straps and silver buckles are meant to be used to strap the deck to the wearer's thigh, where the wearer would be able to easily draw and use the cards held within.

-- Belt (1 figurine)

Appearance: an ebon leather belt with a grinning mask buckle

Dropped: A simple leather belt lies here, the mask buckle shining dully.

Examined: Made of simple ebon leather, this thin belt lacks any decoration past its silver buckle. The silver has been shaped into a small horned mask, the mouth of it grinning broadly. Its eyes are similarly contorted in humour, and laugh lines give the mask some semblance of realism.

-- Gloves (1 figurine)

Appearance: ebon leather forearm gloves

Dropped: Simple gloves lies here in a heap of ebon leather.

Examined: Made of simple ebon leather, these gloves are most notably long enough to cover the forearms of the wearer. The gloves leave the thumb, forefinger, and middle finger uncovered. Dark drawstrings lace the underside of the forearm gloves, meant to be pulled tight and tied off.

Missed one :/

A shrieking cackle echoes through your mind as your grasp the daemonic skull in your hand.
  • The dropped description doesn't make sense. How does a skull wrap about a chain? I assume you meant that the chain is wrapped about the skull, but you've said the opposite.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    You have an extra comma in the first sentence, too.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Does it cost extra to redo typos?
    I just TYPO designs.
  • Oh, alas, the many mistakes of a poor writer. Thank you guys for putting the scrutiny goggles on and finding what I missed, they should be remedied soon enough!
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I love the mental imagery of that bow. Trey's broken me for fantasy weapons though so I'm wondering how it functionally works as a bow when it's made from stone.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Darkbows are made from obsidian and I've never understood how it works, but at least there's precedent here. :(

• Kyrra said:
    I love the mental imagery of that bow. Trey's broken me for fantasy weapons though so I'm wondering how it functionally works as a bow when it's made from stone.
    Uh... idk, magic?
  • Can't believe I never actually posted these, they were designed months ago.

@Talamond and I, being the zealots we are, built shrines to the Bloodsworn in our subdivision house, because yes (rooms are called shrine to <bsworn>, shrines are the room descs)

I designed the Aurora shrine with some help from Talamond and some Aarashi. Talamond designed the Deucalion shrine on his own as far as I know

Aurora Shrine:
    Dominating the centre of the room, a massive statue of Lady Aurora commands the full attention of all who enter. A gleaming scimitar is held aloft in Her right hand with battle-ready poise, an ethereal, pulsing light emanating from its pommel of perfect Eudialyte. Resting on Her opposite side, the blade's twin lies secured in an ornate ivory scabbard decorated in gold filigree. Gripped in Her left hand is a brilliant prism, scattering the light from the scimitar to form a radiant display below. A triad of statuettes encircle the base, the Dragon, Eagle, and Phoenix conveying the Lightbringer's ferocity, compassion, and championing of Life and Rebirth. A raised basin filled with water stands at the forefront, attached to a prominent plaque carved with the words, "These are the facets of Life, which fill the whole of Creation."

Deucalion Shrine:
    Intimidating flickers of brilliant orange cascade across the walls, originating from a towering statue of Lord Deucalion. An authoritarian stance and stern visage convey the Righteous Fire's uncompromising demeanor, punctuated by featureless eyes of solid gold directed at the unseen distance. His left hand maintains a firm grip on a luminous ivory shield while His right extends commandingly forward, presenting a roaring fire atop an open palm. Scores of charred iron braziers stand at varying heights, their quivering flames flaring and conjoining to conceal the majority of the torso and waist. Precariously close to the scorching display is a raised pyre, joined by a plaque engraved with, "In the Flame are all things made pure."

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates