The ongoing Yggdrasil event

Comments

• @Alrena myself and a couple others did that too but sadly no response.  We'll have to try again!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • There was only one.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• Quest 675 actually offends me.
  • My huge gripe with this EL questing business is the bugginess of it all.

Pretty sure at least three of my quests bugged out, I reset them all, did the exact same thing 24 hours later and got progression.

Have a little QC please because my time is worth more than beta-testing.

• @Tysandr dont know about you, but some of mine where time based... lile you could only do them at certain times in the achaean day..... dont know, could of been your issue
  • I didn't know Achaea was 100% volunteer driven. Who gets all the money that I spend, then? I'd better stop spending so much if the devs never even see a cut, that's pretty terrible company ethics. o.o
  • It's not 100% volunteers, there are several paid positions (at least Makarios, Nicola, and a few coders), but the celani and gods do a lot of work and are mostly all volunteers.
  • Lenn said:
    I didn't know Achaea was 100% volunteer driven. Who gets all the money that I spend, then? I'd better stop spending so much if the devs never even see a cut, that's pretty terrible company ethics. o.o
    https://www.ironrealms.com/about-us/ are employed (as far as I know), all other divine/celani are volunteers and don't get paid. Though sometimes they employ programmers to work on stuff like the website or the nexus client

• Yeah, my point is that the volunteer line and the "play or don't play" line that work for free games aren't quite applicable here. They could spend resources developing better QC processes. Maybe it wouldn't be profitable compared to relying on players for beta testing, but they could.

Every major event and release lately has been full of bugs, and it doesn't inspire confidence.
  • I pitied Asria for the quests. She had to repeat the final quest scenario 3 times to get EL. Most would have given up but hot damn is she determined.

Definitely deserves it.
  • Nicola said:
    @Tysandr
    We're very sorry that this has been a frustrating experience for you. As far as I can see we've not received any bug reports, issues, or messages from you regarding any problems, but if you do find something problematic with a quest and let us know via the usual channels we will do everything in our power to fix it or let you know if it's not broken, whichever is appropriate.

Yggdrasil has been an enormous release with a massive scope and we've been on watch all hours of the day all week long (even today) to tighten up and fix problems where needed.
    You guys are doing an amazing, fantastic job that goes way above and beyond what any human being would expect. Don't let the Grinches steal Christmas from your team!
  • Nicola said:
    @Tysandr
    We're very sorry that this has been a frustrating experience for you. As far as I can see we've not received any bug reports, issues, or messages from you regarding any problems, but if you do find something problematic with a quest and let us know via the usual channels we will do everything in our power to fix it or let you know if it's not broken, whichever is appropriate.

Yggdrasil has been an enormous release with a massive scope and we've been on watch all hours of the day all week long (even today) to tighten up and fix problems where needed.
    @Nicola

Thank you for being gracious. The most frustrating thing is not being able to tell if something is bugged or not. Unlike combat where there is expected behaviour on input, questing by design or technical limitation cannot inherently assist the user in differentiating between expected and unexpected behaviour.

I don't think I should BUG something every time I am stumped by a quest; hence, I abandoned the quests, waited, reacquired and replicated the same steps I did the day before. The ratio of quests that this fixed is what is driving my consternation. If I am bugging every third quest, I feel like there is something not quite right.

I am sure you are aware how precious time is, and I apologise if I came off rude.

• So, if that fixes the quest, why aren't you filing a bug containing that information so that it can get fixed?
  • Should we BUG every possible solution we try that doesn't work? o.o

That could add up very quickly.
  • Lenn said:
    Should we BUG every possible solution we try that doesn't work? o.o

That could add up very quickly.
    If you feel the quest didn't work properly the first time, then yes!
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I've bugged so many quests. I've bugged a single certain quest at least three times now, as it kept breaking itself. But the team (especially Ictinus) has been super patient (and super damn fast), and even if it's intended, they'll let you know and gently encourage you. This is a huge release and there's no way they have the manpower to test every little thing. I think something like 200+ quests must have gotten released.

Don't be discouraged. Just try everything you can reasonably think of, and if it doesn't work, bug with what the issue is and what you've done to try and do it correctly.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Remember kids, you can't ask for help with quests on a clan or discord but you can ask the admin directly if you're on the right track. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    Remember kids, you can't ask for help with quests on a clan or discord but you can ask the admin directly if you're on the right track. 
    You can totally ask on Discord, you just have to do it via PMs where they can't see you do it and so can't do anything about it.

That's what makes that rule the most utterly ridiculous rule they have, imo. Out-of-game communication channels make it completely impossible to enforce, so all it does is force people to do an end run around clt/tells/etc. It's not even hard to find people on an out-of-game communication channel, because the Discord is freely available to anybody who wants it.
  • As far as I know the rule is just to keep it off of public IC channels and the forums. I've never heard of anyone even getting a warning for sharing quest info in person (says/tells) or OOC clans.
  • Sena said:
    As far as I know the rule is just to keep it off of public IC channels and the forums. I've never heard of anyone even getting a warning for sharing quest info in person (says/tells) or OOC clans.
    Mathilda ate a credibility dock for sharing on OOC clan

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    Sena said:
    As far as I know the rule is just to keep it off of public IC channels and the forums. I've never heard of anyone even getting a warning for sharing quest info in person (says/tells) or OOC clans.
    Mathilda ate a credibility dock for sharing on OOC clan
    And, iirc, the info she shared was basically just telling people which verb interacted with an object that people had already been trying to interact with. Like people were trying "get ladder, pull ladder, push ladder, climb ladder, use ladder, etc", and she just told people that you have to "shove ladder".
  • I interacted and stuffed with -everything- I could in anyway I could, I would message ictinus what I tried, and if one of them was correct and it was bugged, he'd tell me one of those was correct and to try again. There is 0 reason for him to fix a bug then not give me a way to push back towards testing it again, same with anyone. I've not told anyone specifics of how to solve anything, and I've been asked a fair bit. 

hints are ok, getting more people to quest and play around is great, "Here is exactly what you do" isn't a great way to promote people to quest, all it does is make them try and pay/beg for help for moar honours lines, which is not exactly the reason to go probing into -everything- :D.
  • In my defense, we spent HOOOOOUUUURS with that particular interaction verb, so when I finally got it I spewed it everywhere in sheer excitement :D
     <3 
  • As a general concept I'm pretty okay with the 'don't tell anyone specific information about quests' for quest honor quests and the like, but with Elemental Lord being gated behind these quests you have a bunch of people who don't quest normally, and might never quest again doing this because we want to try Ele lord PK or just have the new shiny thing. I never would've gotten Air Lord without a huge amount of help from friends (special shoutout to @Dunn for getting on Christmas morning and helping me kill the thing), and well I enjoyed the storyline I'm not likely to do a quest again unless so ordered by a divine if I join an order or the next shiny thing like Elemental lord comes out gated behind quests. 

Dunn tells you, "I hate you."
    (Party): You say, "Bad plan coming right up."
  • I've always been of the mindset that if the person doing the quest doesnt care for the experience or spoilers and wants help..then I dont see why not to.

If they want to attempt the challenge, then I fully respect that. If they want a hint, then I toss them one (I think the one I gave Torinn was pretty nice). If they are near the point of breaking down from exhaustion and are begging for something...then yes, I will toss them a bone.