The Elemental (and Yggdrasil) Retrospective!

Comments

• There's a pretty good chance you beat me! I was at a wedding for the beginning of this whole event, and missed a lot of it. :(
  • Excuses! JK I really enjoyed this entire event. My favorite part was the elementals randomly becoming noncrittable and wrecking my face about 6 days in. Great times. 

• I really enjoyed figuring out how to kill earth and fire elemental groups solo.  Curing puzzles like that are a lot of fun for me.  I sure did die a lot along the way, but I actually think I broke even xp-wise by the end of it. 
  • Penwize said:
    I really enjoyed figuring out how to kill earth and fire elemental groups solo.  Curing puzzles like that are a lot of fun for me.  I sure did die a lot along the way, but I actually think I broke even xp-wise by the end of it. 
    so .00001% ?

• @Nicola Any chance to see the numbers of each faction now that it is a few days in? Pretty please? 
  • I am sure Earth wins. 
  • Earth air/fire water is my prediction. 

• Water is definitely the lowest by a wide margin.
  • Wonder if people just don't like water as an element or if it was a 'well I'm not touching that after what Mhaldor did.' Or its focus on affing being unattractive for people who don't pk a lot.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    I feel like they also have absolutely zero utility? (Not being moved by currents is barely a utility.)
  • edited December 2017
    That and blowy boi, spicy boi and rocky boi >>>>>> splashy boi.

Unfortunately if we buff splashy it'll be too OP. Thems the breaks.
  • edited December 2017
    DRAGON GUT (19 strength) is 18% vs. Forest Watch buckawn swordsmen
    TERRAN PULVERISE (17 strength, maximum shaping) is ~16.5% vs. the same mob.

edit: Gut drains 40 endurance, though, compared to Pulverise at just 20. That doesn't even include the endurance/willpower upkeep of DragonArmour! Right now, I think of EL as DragonLite :)
     <3 
  • Water has the least utility from a non-PK standpoint (Water's free Gauntlet doesn't compare to Fire's triple Pathfinder/Air's Wings and barely compares to Earth's Shovel), wasn't really a connected element compared to Fire/Air/Earth to Hashan/Ashtan/Targossas, and everybody coming late already probably heard "Water is reeeeeally slow" and chose something else.

The fact that Asahana was pissed at everybody, including Mhaldorians, probably didn't help either.
  • Kiet said:
    Wonder if people just don't like water as an element or if it was a 'well I'm not touching that after what Mhaldor did.' Or its focus on affing being unattractive for people who don't pk a lot.

I think a lot of it is just that no city really "aligned" with Water during the event. A disproportionate number of Targossians are going Earth, Ashtani going Air, and Hashani going Fire, giving each of those a solid base. So maybe some of the former two points you mentioned, but I don't think it has much to do with the combat style. From what I've observed at least, the majority of the people for Earth, Air, and Fire are there for RP reasons.

Who wants to be a peasant?
  • Farrah said:

Who wants to be a peasant?
    Everybody who joins Hashan.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Hashani CR1s do :joy:
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I feel like its partly the lack of utility, and partly the word of mouth that has spread of it being relatively slow compared to all the other elements

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Water seemed awesome from a PvP perspective but yeah I didn't choose water due to RP reasons
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Any dwarf or tash'la who doesn't choose Earth will be stoned to death!
     <3 
  • I don't think Earth or Fire has more utility than Water though. Especially not Earth. Unless bashing tankiness = utility I guess?

Earth was the biggest faction pretty much immediately though, before people even took the time to read ABs and things, so I really don't think most of it could be said to be based on that. I'm sure there are some late-joiners who chose based on skills, but I think a lot of people picked it because Targossian/dwarf/etc, just like I'm sure a lot of people picked Air because Ashtan/Vastar.
  • Let's agree that Air gets the most utility. Free wings. Free. Wings.

Beyond that, Water doesn't offer anything to a non-combatant. Scepter of Aqueous Mastery on steroids is amazing for combatants but kind of just there for non-combatants. Water gets self-healing and affliction curing. Woo?

Fire gets immunity to ablaze, reduced clotting, and three fast travel points.

Earth gets crazy bashing tankiness, vitality, a talisman shovel, and reduced mineral usage.

You can't compare Water's utility to the others because Water's utility is miniscule compared to the others for someone not interested in combat.
  • Cyrene's populace seemed torn between water and earth. Likely a mix of our most prominent faiths being the Nerai and Phaesteans, as well as our home being both mountains with a tie to the Muurn. There was a weak effort to earth, but we knew Targ was pretty intent on it, so the focus shifted to water. Cyrene made a pretty sizeable push for water but @Alrena and all of those Mhaldorians had to go and do cool things with a stupidly impressive 4 day marathon. And really, for all the hard work they did, I'm completely down with losing the race to that. This event was a bit odd for me because, for the first time as a player, I felt kind of jaded with my city and was mulling over the idea of leaving to be with a more active playerbase. 

Back to topic though, I think water being slightly unappealing comes from all three of the things mentioned. Compared to Air/Fire,  Earth/Water really are lacking in the utility they bring out of combat, with water looking particularly sparse. It is hard to compete with healing from fire, triple raido, crucible hearth, lightning travel, stratosphere, and balance/eq reduction in the skies, because that is some pretty solid stuff. It is also hard to support a faction that (after the corrupted amphora) pretty much screams that they don't want you or your help. So it's a lot easier to say, "Bye Felicia, enjoy a weak showing in the elemental war." Not saying her reaction is unwarranted, mind you. 
  • Elisella said:
    Let's agree that Air gets the most utility. Free wings. Free. Wings.

Beyond that, Water doesn't offer anything to a non-combatant. Scepter of Aqueous Mastery on steroids is amazing for combatants but kind of just there for non-combatants. Water gets self-healing and affliction curing. Woo?

Fire gets immunity to ablaze, reduced clotting, and three fast travel points.

Earth gets crazy bashing tankiness, vitality, a talisman shovel, and reduced mineral usage.

You can't compare Water's utility to the others because Water's utility is miniscule compared to the others for someone not interested in combat.
    I don't feel it. I dunno if I'm doing something wrong or what, but I don't feel it compared to monk.

• Realised it might have something to do with Horkval natural resistance to blunt/cutting being higher than Earth Elemental Lords, as well as the monk damage buffs on top of that (toughness, boosted regeneration etc).

• edited December 2017
    Elisella said:
    reduced mineral usage.
    I’ve missed something, care to explain this one?

EL doesn’t feel as tanky as Dragon, to me. Fighting things as EL were hurting, but they didn’t in Dragon. I would really prefer EL to be considered a higher form than Dragon, and be a tick better at tanking/attacking. Feels like such a cop out to have to dform out of EL.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Honestly ... the wings aren't even that fantastic, unless you don't already have them.  The ability comes at a pretty hefty eq cost, so if you use it to escape you're likely just going to get caught.  The additional exits from the stratosphere are definitely great, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure I'd say that wings are instantly "the most utility."

The other stuff air gets though? Yeah, definitely top-tier, like Dunn said.  Curious how the other elements wind up comparing there.
  • Honestly, I really don't understand the distribution of utility/powers between the elemental lords. Air not only has far and away the best out of combat utility, but also some interesting group combat tools and the most unique (and one of the stronger) offenses of the bunch.

Fire has it's multiple hermit, remixed deliverance, and single target damage. Which is all cool, but doesn't really feel that comparable.
  • In Water's defense, we haven't seen any of it yet.

For all anyone knows, Cohesion is secretly a free SoA, Blade is secretly equivalent to a level 3 bastardsword with battlefury speed in terms of DPS, and Lifestream is secretly a targeted kai heal.
  • Also, clearly Air wins. I mean, how did most of you not waste time killing rats if you can't worm warp.

Flying.

That's right.

Long live Air!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."