Best Mudlet GUI Elements?

Looking for input from people who use mudlet regularly. What's most important to have on screen, in your opinion?  

Comments

• edited November 2017
    The buffer.

Probably chat. None of them are particularly 'important' - most things have their uses, though.
  • I guess my biggest issue is keeping track of who/what is in the room at a given time. Hard to see it all when things start moving quickly
  • edited November 2017
    I like have the following (all are so necessary that I worked hard to get it squished down for a smaller laptop screen):

• Map. Mudlet map in its own square, crowdmap for best info.
    • Chat history. Especially useful for keeping up with convos when hunting or targets in combat spam. I put every telepathic channel in there, and do my best to include says when on a ship. If I could only get names to be properly highlighted - channel colours work fine, need to work on the other. Also need to work on shouts. Tried going by all the different variations, but may just colour shouts something very specific, and capture by that colour. Just thought of that, should really try it when I get back home from holiday stuff.
    • Room contents. I have three tabs that change the contents of a single pane - one for items, one for mobs, and one that's both. One column is the ID number, the other is the short name, gotten from GMCP. This is the one thing missing from my laptop screen, and I really, really miss it. It's great for quickly scanning a room's contents without having to parse a huge paragraph. Thought about adding a players in room, but never got around to it, mostly because of the problem I have highlighting names by city in these panes, same with chat. Will probably go in a separate pane, so I can have both the mixed mob/item list and the character list up at the same time, whenever I get around to it. No more WHO HERE all the time.
    • Character info. Two parts, so far - battlerage bars, which light up when I have enough rage for that attack, bars that decrease over time until they're ready to use again, both global and individual cooldowns. The other part is just my name, current class, level and experience, experience to dragon, gold on hand and in the bank, and thinking of adding some defences like whether I'm hidden, Rebirth cooldown, whether or not my fulcrum is still up and where it is. This is the one that's largely still in progress, and I've added and removed stuff over time.

Some might say "are these really necessary?", and to be fair, until you play with them, not really. But after having them, I really wouldn't want to live without them.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    edited November 2017
    Kalm said:

•  crowdmap for best info.
    Ha!
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Kalm said:

Ha!
    ???
  • Kalm said:
    • Room contents. I have three tabs that change the contents of a single pane - one for items, one for mobs, and one that's both. One column is the ID number, the other is the short name, gotten from GMCP. This is the one thing missing from my laptop screen, and I really, really miss it. It's great for quickly scanning a room's contents without having to parse a huge paragraph. Thought about adding a players in room, but never got around to it, mostly because of the problem I have highlighting names by city in these panes, same with chat. Will probably go in a separate pane, so I can have both the mixed mob/item list and the character list up at the same time, whenever I get around to it. No more WHO HERE all the time.
    Do you find yourself using all three item tabs or do you stick to the combo one?
  • Kalm said:
    Do you find yourself using all three item tabs or do you stick to the combo one?
    99% of the time, it's the combo. But some rooms are just filled with tons of shit, and if I'm looking to see something specific, I'll swap over for a moment. Usually in cities, or in large player gatherings with lots of pets/class mobs/stuff dropped on the ground.
  • Best GUI element? The bit where all of the text goes.

And the mapper, I guess. I've never felt a need to have anything else.
  • Ahmet said:
    Kalm said:

Ha!
    ???
    I think he's suggesting that the crowdmap doesn't have the best info. That's probably true, but it does have much better info than the in-game maps the majority of the time, so short of making your own (something I assume Ahmet does, but most people don't need to do) it's the best info available.
  • The one thing i found most helpful was a list of people in the room. Right above my command-bar.

Kill 'em all ded.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• The map is pretty vital. Outside of that, combat-wise it would be my limb counter, non-combat wise my chatcap. I've found that I rarely use my room-items list, but I do occasionally use my room-people list.
  • How do you keep track of what's around, then? Seems tough to read the room summaries every time and still keep up with what's moving around you
  • I use room item list and room people list all the time
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • How do you keep track of what's around, then? Seems tough to read the room summaries every time and still keep up with what's moving around you
    The only time I really care about what's around is when I'm bashing, and Keneanung's basher has those red callouts for bashable things in the room, so that's all I need. Defending raids and stuff, I just watch the party chat for targets. Outside of that, unless I'm looking for something in particular or trying to have a private conversation, I'm usually pretty ignorant of what's in my room.
  • Ahmet said:
    Kalm said:

Ha!
    Are you hinting at a map other than the crowdmap one that may or may not be private/restricted to certain people? Because if it IS restricted, there's not much point about posting about it and even if it is available to the public, you're not being very helpful by saying nothing about where to obtain it.

So what's the schoop behind that 'Ha!' ?
  • edited November 2017
    Devran said:

Are you hinting at a map other than the crowdmap one that may or may not be private/restricted to certain people? Because if it IS restricted, there's not much point about posting about it and even if it is available to the public, you're not being very helpful by saying nothing about where to obtain it.

So what's the schoop behind that 'Ha!' ?
    He's the top-ranked explorer, so he has the best info.

*********************************[ Explorers ]*********************************
      Rank Name            Explorer Title                
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         1 Ahmet           an Achaean Ranger, 2nd Class
         2 Krypton         an Achaean Ranger, 3rd Class
         3 Czanthria       an Achaean Ranger, 3rd Class
         4 Qwindor         an Achaean Ranger, 4th Class
         5 Tiamat          an Achaean Ranger, 4th Class
         6 Paine           an Achaean Ranger, 4th Class
  • The crowd in crowdmap means it's a crowdsourced map - if you see something missing, pitch in to help.
  • edited November 2017
    Vadimuses said:
    The crowd in crowdmap means it's a crowdsourced map - if you see something missing, pitch in to help.
    On that note, I've tried to offer a few times to help keep it updated but Qwindor has been hesitant to re-teach how to do it, or maybe just too busy to teach me. Either way, I used to be a pretty regular contributor but have forgotten how since its been ages. If someone wants to take some time to show me how its done again, I'd appreciate it and be glad to put in the time to keep the mapper updated!

• Yeah I'd be happy to walk you through it. How about Monday 8pm CET?