Staff of Nicator in 850: The journey from zero to hero.

Hey there.

I'm probably insane, this probably won't work, and this thread will end forgotten and abandoned. Then again, what if it does work? It's something I've had in mind for a long while, creating a journal/blog for my own amusement to trace the rise of my own character. So I picked a goal I think I may be able to obtain someday, winning the staff of Nicator. More than that I wanted to rise above what meager littler I have managed to accomplish on my other characters in Achaea. So here goes.

I am an absolute sucker for any thing ancient Roman. I love it all. From the myths, the way the Legions functioned, the daily lives of the citizens. Without shame I decided that I'd name my new character after one of the most (if not most) influential Roman ever, Gaius Octavius Augustus. It was probably hubris on my part to think that the name Octavian or Octavius would be allowed. I'm not sure how they decide which names are allowed or are not, but as you're reading a post by Augtavian... Yeah, it was a no go.  Dead set on the name I think I was pretty cleaver in dropping the Oct and picking up the Aug. Who knows, maybe I'll get a bestie who is awesome at combat named Agrippa.

Augtavian's namesake was a sickly individual (who somehow managed to make it to the rip age of 75.) So with the name picked and that in mind I chose to play as a Magi, eschewing a more physical class for something more magical based. There wasn't much thought put into picking human, it's just the race I felt like playing. My choice of city however I did put a lot of thought into.

I've never played in Mhaldor, and know very little about how they operate or act. I've been playing there for about three days and ooooooooboyo let me tell you, I'm impressed. Within 10 minutes of joining my house I had three people reach out to me to see if I needed help. Then there was the ritual last night (which was amazing) and a nice discussion with my new mentor.  The RP is frequent, intense and already left me feeling like I'm going to really need to step my game up if I want to hang.

It's time to end this because I need to start hunting up some gold for tattoos.

Oh. So far I've spent $20 on lessons, and $25 on the iron elite for a total of $45.

Comments

• Xaden said:
    If you manage to keep this thread going for the three RL years until 850AF I will be more impressed than you actually winning the staff.

Three years? QQ.

• edited November 2017
    Augtavian said:
    Xaden said:
    If you manage to keep this thread going for the three RL years until 850AF I will be more impressed than you actually winning the staff.

Three years? QQ.

Achaean date 1 Sarapin, year 850 at midnight would be 1/21/2021 at 9:00

ETA : I realise how very discouraging that may have been - you could shift your aim for year 800 which would be around July 2019. A shade over a year and a half from now.

And I do think your idea of chronicling your adventures between now and then a very cool one. I hope you stick with it.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Chronicle every time you pk krypton
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I love this thread already.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Kiet said:
    Chronicle every time you pk krypton
    do threads have page caps?
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    @Salisa
    Kid's coming for your deserved Y850 Staff win.
  • Kiet said:
    Chronicling stuff is definitely cool! So much of Achaea's very rich history is kind of lost to the ages cause no one figured out they should've had it put into written form.
    You'd be amazed at my personal logs of Tritons, Kashari, Divine interactions, etc. Someday maybe I'll organize it all... Though I imagine many people have old dusty logs of impressive events and histories.
  • Zulah said:
    Kiet said:
    Chronicling stuff is definitely cool! So much of Achaea's very rich history is kind of lost to the ages cause no one figured out they should've had it put into written form.
    You'd be amazed at my personal logs of Tritons, Kashari, Divine interactions, etc. Someday maybe I'll organize it all... Though I imagine many people have old dusty logs of impressive events and histories.
    I wish I'd kept more of mine. Having the whole Garden show up for a party in the CIJ when Kherranos got Dragon was amazing. Shame I was a little too new to really grasp the situation for what it was. 

Sob has not just been a character, he's been a 15yr long adventure novel that I wish I'd written down a lot more. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Zulah said:
    Kiet said:
    I'd love if we one day all shared those little treasures collecting dust in storage 
  • Glad we know who to use radiance on in the next Great Hunt mazes.
  • You are no mhaldorian until you get enemied every city and can actually shout your sacrifice. Until then... Glad you enjoyed one of the best cities now. 
  • Thank you all for the positive feedback. Your approval sustains me. With every like my power grows stronger every day, STRONGER EVERYDAY HAIL SARTAN!!! Man that episode of South Park with the Christmas Critters was one of my favorites... I wonder if it'd be possible to create a ritual to trap Ironbeard and ruin Logosmas? ANYWAYS. I'm prepared to play this character for three years, and I chose the 850 games as just what I thought as a reasonable time frame, and this way I'll be able to use the 800 games as a practice run. There is a whole lot to do before I'll be ready for a serious attempt. Also I totally plan on keeping a running tally on how much I've spent on this character. It'll be interesting I think, though I'm loathe to know how much I can spend over the course of three years on making my text appear more powerful. So much text, so much power.

Wanted to take some time to talk about the arrpee. A pitfall I've found myself in more than once is going into a character with to much role play planned out in my mind. What I mean is having a destination planned out in my mind and then feeling listless when I fail to see my plans come to fruition. I, the player, attempts to dictate to my character how he ought to act, what his goals ought to be, what sort of characters he would associate with. I don't think having a very general idea is a bad thing, but I've let it destroy my enjoyment of the game far to many times and have left a slew of retired characters in my wake. When I reach dragon it'll be for my third time now, and really, fuck that.

So to hopefully avoid this pitfall once again I've made a few decisions in regards to young Augtavian. The first being to keep his backstory purposefully vague. He remembers little before getting whacked over the head by Beku. Warm days in fields of wheat, a happy childhood, caring parents. That's it. His current plans for the future are also vague. Not be a slave anymore, trust the process Mhaldor and his House (The Insidium whoop whoop!) have laid out. Beyond that any traits he picks up will be from in the game. To that end I wanted to mention a piece of brilliant bit of RP I managed with my mentor the other day (@Seortiae if you were a sauce you'd be sriracha, because you're the best.) Augtavian did something stupid, and said he was sorry. Seoritae pointed out the 4th Truth "The enemies of strength are those who trumpet the effeminate values of
    forgiveness, tolerance, and laxity of discipline." So asking for forgiveness is a weak thing to do. So moving forward Augtavian won't be asking for it. 

You have slain a muscular mountain lion, retrieving the corpse.

• Play the game as much as you play the forums and you'll be on track for 800 AF

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I'll write you a chrome addon that will automate your forum responses too. 
  • Stupid life getting in the way of fantasy. This season is always a busy one for me. Though I still find my thoughts drifting back to the game. I'm particularly bummed that I'm going to miss out on the next Upcoming event. Oooooooh well. I've been chipping away at getting my mudlet profile set up, svo, mapper updates. Next step is to plug in a UI from the forums. I really dislike doing all this stuff, so it's just further motivation to succeed so I never have to do it again. Ever. I bought 5 of the tokens for the wheel and got pretty much nothing. 68 bound credits, two orbs of swirling golden glass (which I'm told is an exp gain if I can ever figure out how to use it) and a grey and clouded glass bottle.  I also picked up the no-brainer credit package. I was planning on getting the new Battlefront, but pay to win is so ewwwww. Who would ever bother with a play to win game? So much irony.

45 for tokens, 50 for the credits, added to my total of 45 spent already and I'm to 140 dollars. 
    Turn the orb to activate it for 1 hour of double xp. Can't be stacked with great hunts or other double xp events, but can be used with iron elite.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Sell me an orb! :open_mouth:
  • Not off to the greatest start with a few months of dormancy. Sort of had a mental breakdown for a bit there. Didn't leave the house, didn't talk to anyone, even interacting with the pizza delivery guy was gut wrenching anxiety. Don't need to go into any more details than that, but suffice to say if you think you need help then you need help. I'm grateful to have had this little corner of the forums to come back to, it's made picking things up a little easier.

My mentor reminded me that she's awesome.

Does anyone use rp who?

What do ya'll like for a GUI?

Two months of iron elite has brought me up to 380 bound credits. I learned all of my class skills and survival. I'm thinking riding would be sweet for a magi to have, and avoidance is always useful.

Two months of dormancy, two months of iron elite, that brings my total up to 190 bucks.
  • Glad you're feeling better!

RPWHO isn't very well used, unfortunately, but you're in a city where 90% of the people you run into are usually up for RP.

After class skills, you'll want to focus on survival and avoidance, with riding to mountjump probably if you're a mage.
  • As soon as I saw you log back in I was excited to see this thread again. IC I only bumped into you briefly, but I do remember! Time to get you participating by 800 and placing, then onto the staff at 850, and I'm glad you are picking up mentally again, I know how all that feels, so if you need someone to just chat to always hit me up.
    I knew there was a reason that my phone auto-completed to the forums when I was trying to search for something else.

I love this thread.
  • Jonathin said:
    I knew there was a reason that my phone auto-completed to the forums when I was trying to search for something else.

I love this thread.
    This thread is why I wake up in the mornings.
  • That's a lot of pressure! @Jonathin one time a few years back I was playing an alt and chose your alt (I think) as a mentor. You bought me a no-brainer lesson package and I've always loved you for it. @Minifie you could have told me there was something fucky going on with the primes! I ran out of potash hunting and figured I'd pick up synthesis so I could be self-sufficient and cool. Nope, not today motherfucker! Ah well. My Mom says I'm cool.

Got my first taste of group combat today, I had no idea what the fuck was going on and died within about .4 seconds. Sounds like another first time I had once. Combat on Achaea has never really held my interest, I like the RP repercussions of PK but I feel like it's always been a language I've just never been capable of reading. It's such a massive undertaking, learning your own offense, learning defense, scripting I don't have the slightest clue on where to begin. Unless @Tanris comes out of retirement to carry my ass through the twins tourney (do it, you won't) I'm pretty much stuck learning how to read Achaea combat.

What do you like about combat? How did you start learning it? 
  • Augtavian said:
    That's a lot of pressure! @Jonathin one time a few years back I was playing an alt and chose your alt (I think) as a mentor. You bought me a no-brainer lesson package and I've always loved you for it. @Minifie you could have told me there was something fucky going on with the primes! I ran out of potash hunting and figured I'd pick up synthesis so I could be self-sufficient and cool. Nope, not today motherfucker! Ah well. My Mom says I'm cool.

Got my first taste of group combat today, I had no idea what the fuck was going on and died within about .4 seconds. Sounds like another first time I had once. Combat on Achaea has never really held my interest, I like the RP repercussions of PK but I feel like it's always been a language I've just never been capable of reading. It's such a massive undertaking, learning your own offense, learning defense, scripting I don't have the slightest clue on where to begin. Unless @Tanris comes out of retirement to carry my ass through the twins tourney (do it, you won't) I'm pretty much stuck learning how to read Achaea combat.

What do you like about combat? How did you start learning it? 
    I ran in face first and got pwnt, again and again and again. I still am! I made sure after each skirmish (or during if there is downtime) to ask questions, log the fight and read them back to see where I did silly things (did I prioritise paralysis in a bad spot so I was near perma-para? Did I screw up my defensive shielding? Was I swapping targets efficiently and on time, or beating on non priority targets?) Used the logs to make new triggers for gagging/highlighting and where things didn't work but should have. As long as you ask lots of questions (have a mhaldor OOC combat clan you can join) and can grit your teeth for the tough beginning you'll come through really fine. 

Also you are magi! @Taryius and @aegoth can give you immense help as well!
  • I started by getting my ass kicked.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited February 2018
    Atalkez said:
    I started by getting my ass kicked.
    When are you gonna reach the point where that stops happening? =)

Chin up man, you killed Cahin when you were like lvl 40 and 20 years old with 0 skills trained. BM OP.

• Pyori said:
    Atalkez said:
    I started by getting my ass kicked.
    When are you gonna reach the point where that stops happening? =)

Chin up man, you killed Cahin when you were like lvl 40 and 20 years old with 0 skills trained. BM OP.
    I kick more ass than I get it kicked these days at least!

RIP Cahin.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.