Heirloom

This is historically something that has been denied in the past, and I don't anticipate it being a thing in the future, but I had a few ideas mulling around and I wanted to put digital pen to paper before heading to bed.

Proposition:
A new system to pass down relics to family, friends or promising proteges when giving up the adventuring life. Pass down your trusty blade to your son - bestow the symbol of your forebears upon your protege to honor them before you leave this life for the next. Let Tuerney come back and let the Grimoire of Ineffable Madness and the Long Arm of the Law reign on after he is gone.

Limitations:
A total of three (3) artefact powers may be handed down when an adventurer retires, spread across a maximum of three items (minimum one). An artefact weapon, while not possessing powers, counts as one "power" for the purposes of this, as does artefact armour. Paragons slotted into armour similarly count as powers, so passing down a suit of armour would allow a maximum combination of two paragons and/or powers vested in the armour, leaving one, two or three empty paragon slots. In addition, due to their nature, a unique/semi-unique auction item counts as one power by itself, regardless of not having any transferrable characteristics via the ARTEFACT POWER TRANSFER commands.

Powers/items transferred in this matter have their values stripped (This artefact has no value). They cannot be customized past what was already on them (these are family heirlooms to be handed down with purpose, not a way to get cheap artefacts). The previous value of the item/powers do -not- count towards retirement any longer. They may be passed down further, still following the above properties. This is also not a way to transfer an artefact to your newly created retiree alt: anyone caught attempting to use this system to bypass retirement to give their new character more artefacts to start will be permanently shrubbed, as will anyone assisting them.

EDIT: This isn't 100% complete, but since it's likely never to happen it's good enough for hypothetical discussion.

Comments

• Artefacts being transferred between characters isn't going to happen - even if this was something we would endorse (which we don't!), on a company level its just not allowed.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Makarios said:
    Artefacts being transferred between characters isn't going to happen - even if this was something we would endorse (which we don't!), on a company level its just not allowed.
    What about just passing the object in some fashion while removing the artefact powers off it? I am aware it'd do away with much of the point of the thing, but it could still be used as a memento, specially if the person bestowing them is going to retire anyway.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Makarios said:
    Artefacts being transferred between characters isn't going to happen - even if this was something we would endorse (which we don't!), on a company level its just not allowed.
    What if it was made so that the passed down artifact became a "heirloom" no artifact powers, only a non-decay relic?  Imagine the RP if it was stolen, imagine the family fueds or interfamily struggle if one of the family members got something and not the other! Don't limit us, enable us @Makarios!
    Okk tells you, "You 'woof'ed on a house channel in a conversation with the Lord Bard."

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I don't care about artefact powers - that was realistically never going to be a thing - but I'd love a way to, say, link an item to reset to a person holding a particular position. That way you could have something like 'mantle of the Insid'atori' and it would reset to the person that was actually holding that office, and you could assign particular reactions to it. 

Of course it's already possible to make that now either with the help of Gods or through the crafting system, but Gods aren't always going to be active and if you have a design that you can just make multiple copies of, it sort of loses its appeal - not to mention there would be no point adding any additional reactions. It would also make it easier for clans.

I doubt this will be possible either, but it would be nice. 
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• edited November 2017
    Makarios said:
    Hence my disclainers at both the top and bottom of the post!

Edit: this is all hypothetical, it's not a real suggestion, just one that is interesting to talk about.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Jurixe said:
    ...link an item to reset to a person holding a particular position. That way you could have something like 'mantle of the Insid'atori' and it would reset to the person that was actually holding that office, and you could assign particular reactions to it...
    +1 to this idea

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."