What's your favorite Runewarden spec, and why?

2»

Comments

• Get Trans Avoidance next

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    Get Trans Avoidance next
    Why is trans Avoidance such a high priority for one of the hardiest classes in the game? Engage in Chivalry is highly important for Runewardens, as is Fury.
  • I know it varies from class to class, but I would suggest transing all class skills + survival avoidance before getting artefacts. As a runwarden I would imagine some lessons in riding and weaponry is helpful too! 

To be honest, buying lvl1 weapons is the first step of a long ass slippery slope - you’ll end up with a set of lvl 3’s and a lupine and not even realize how you got there. 
  • It's a great defense boost, regardless of class. I value that pretty highly, personally. It's like a flat 11% reduction or something if I recall? 

You're right about Engage and Fury, though. 

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • LOL!

So, I should definitely not get artefacts first is what everyone agrees with.

Instead, I should either trans chivalry or avoidance? :)
  • edited November 2017
    Get Squint in Vision > Class skills > Survival > Avoidance  - that's basically my recommendation for anyone starting a new character. Early investment in skills is more important than artefacts, imo.

Edit: That includes Miniskills like Frost, Antidotes, Thermology, Galvanism etc - especially if you intend to PK. I believe you get better return for your investment than you do with l1s. To me, Artefacts are for after you've got as much of the regular resistances as you can get. Antidoes reduces arrow damage, Frost reduces fire damage, Galvanism reduces electric damage, etc. Those are all well worth the investment if you intend to PK, imo!

• Trans Evasion is the best mitigation-per-credit you can get outside of guild skills and it should probably be your next priority.

You'll want trans Chivalry also. Engage, Swiftmount, and Fury are all very important skills.

Trans Survival, as well. The speed increase on Focus/Tree is important.

As far as quality of life stuff goes, Tattoos up to at least Boar is a huge quality of life improvement.

Riding up to Mountjump is also pretty huge, though you may want to go up to Legendary mounts so you can get a cheap crated mount.

Calira said:
    Atalkez said:
    Get Trans Avoidance next
    Why is trans Avoidance such a high priority for one of the hardiest classes in the game? Engage in Chivalry is highly important for Runewardens, as is Fury.
    The modern combat environment is full of some very heavy hitters. Engage and Fury are kickass, yeah, but the fact of the matter is that dead people don't win fights.

It also has the side effect of being very helpful in hunting, which is a non-trivial bonus when considering a new player who is hunting their way up. 
  • I'd still trans skills first, avoidance after those for making bashing easier, then start to invest in artefacts. 
  • edited November 2017
    I believe it is more interesting to get engage and fury and vault / riding, trans avoidance, after that, get your L1s. Then you can take on vision squint and miniskills as and when you get the lessons off regular leveling. Miniskirts are important but you won't feel the extra fun as much as gaining new abilities or toy. I got my arties ahead of transing minis, feels more accomplished getting arties...
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Dochitha said:
     Miniskirts are important 
    Most important conclusion of this thread  :p

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Lenn Dochitha alt confirmed. No wonder she can afford all the auction items :joy:
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Don't need to learn tattoos, you can use stencils for awhile. 

Trans out all class skills, avoidance, survival, learn some vision (farsee so you can actually find people) and riding (to mount jump).  I would pretty much invest everything in skills and even miniskills before artefacts (ie ring of magus reduces magic damage and cost 700 credits!  That's the same amount of credits as transing all 7 miniskills).  There's also resistance rings which most people don't use for whatever reason.  

I would also look at buying a collared mount, you can buy them for pretty cheap now (maybe 50 credits?).  

• Stencils have definitely lessened the 'necessity' of learning a lot of Tattoos.
     <3 
  • Definitely finish survival, whatever else you're planning to do. 
  • Wow – this is awesome guys! :)

So, no artefacts necessary, and focus on Trans Chivalry. :)

Between Avoidance or Trans survival, which is more important?

Also, are mounts useful in combat? What is their purpose? And why is Squint helpful?

And do I have to wear a miniskirt?? :P
  • No, artefacts will help but not necessary, Trans chiv then survival then avoidance. Focus and fitness will make it a lot harder to truelock you, as well as breathing for raiding since kaichoke hurts.

Mounts are very useful, and squint doesn't cost balance or equil to see rooms ahead, great for chasing!

If you don't wear a miniskirt, I'll cry. No one likes when I cry :(.
  • Do kilts count...?

I have focusing, fitness, and clotting – do I need to spend the bajillion lessons for trans survival? :)

• You don't, but damn if breathing is handy! 
  • How are mounts useful in combat..? :)
  • block, trample, mountjump
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Atalkez said:
    It's a great defense boost, regardless of class. I value that pretty highly, personally. It's like a flat 11% reduction or something if I recall? 

You're right about Engage and Fury, though. 

Somewhere between 13 and 14 percent, but only on blunt/cutting damage.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Recommend practice, practice, practice now. What I found as a low level unartied dual blunt runie was that it wasnt possible to pulp anyone 1v1. They would either die from damage while I tried to set up pulp, or competently killed me before I got that far. Lots of people will duel in the village so practice is easy to get.

Dual blunt is my personal favourite spec. Sometimes you just want to smash things. I'm the first to admit I'm not very good at combat and I've only been playing this game for 3 months. I don't think I'll ever reach level 85. But I managed to kill people fairly consistently. This just means the spec has a low entry requirement, it's still going to take skill to excel with.
  • I do wish SnB was a bit nicer to hunt with, if only because it's so damn fun to bash stuff in the face with a shield. 
  • I do wish SnB was a bit nicer to hunt with, if only because it's so damn fun to bash stuff in the face with a shield. 
    I switched to SnB during the great hunt (because I like to do the opposite of logic) and found I could now hunt far above my level. Slow, yes, but steady and chill. Outside of the great hunt, I prefer to hunt in groups and SnB is really wonderful if you're with bigger stronger people who do all the killing while you manage to not die. Also good with littler people you can defend and take all their hits. I looooooved SnB for hunting. 
  • If you're going to do serious pvp one-on-one, then yes, you'll need to transcend Survival.

For the record, transcending Survival's benefit is not in getting new abilities, it's the recovery rate for the important abilities that you get through the transcendent Survival skill. Without it, most classes that tie you up with afflictions will do so much quicker, because you cannot use the Focus skill in Survival as often. That means you'd be reduced to fighting roughly half the classes in Achaea without standing much of a chance.

Avoidance, as mentioned, is very advantageous in cost-benefit: if you have the credits, it's definitely worth it.

As for squint, it lets you see up to five rooms away in any direction, which means you can get a heads-up about what's coming ahead, and at 9 lessons, it's basically a steal. No reason not to have it.

Mounts are incredibly handy, but you'll need like 8-900 lessons to get mountjump, which is the cream of the crop in Riding. Probably not a prudent investment early on, if you don't have enough to transcend Avoidance and Survival both, yet.
  • I dont do much 1v1s anymore but I can attest for a Runewarden...mountjump is great to have. Riding in general is great to have.  Being able to Gular a direction and mountjump over it to another room to heal is crucial sometimes
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Squint is below Nightsight, which literally every single person in the game needs to get anyway.
  • Got it!

I'll hold off on the riding, but I'll trans chivalry for Fury.

Afterwards, immediately focus on trans survival, and then avoidance! :)

Thank you all for your help!!!!!! \(^_^)/