Professions

Comments

• HataruHataru Midwest USA
    Torinn said:
    @Hataru what they meant is you can do what you love but it won't pay the bills unless it's a good area of expertise.  They tend to leave that last part out  :s
    This is a misconception though! Most degrees (yes even English ones!) can get well paying jobs... if you want to work in that part of the market.

English majors with a minor in say, computer science, who write manuals can make very good money. Anthropologists who go work in HR departments can make super good money. An Archaeologist with an MA can make $25/hr to manage field work in a CRM firm.

But if you're not in bio/chem/medical/tech/AI, basically fuck you if you want to do research these days.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • It's cool to read about what everybody does in real life!

I'm a federal management consultant, so my day-to-day work changes from project to project. These days, I research and evaluate software to support my client's enterprise architecture. I also help lead my firm's LGBTQ+ diversity/inclusion and community engagement efforts. Can be a tough gig, but I get to learn a lot and pay my rent (if only barely).
  • I'm an attorney. Yeah, gross, I know.
  • Really?  I'm super surprised Farrah.  I honestly thought you were in software somewhere
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    I earned my bachelors in Accounting earlier this year and am working towards my masters in accounting with the goal of being a CPA.
  • Farrah said:
    I'm an attorney. Yeah, gross, I know.
    and I used to like you

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    Farrah said:
    and I used to like you

:(
  • Farrah said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Farrah said:
    and I used to like you

Ok then. Shall we see who is most disliked? I'll go against my previous comment about not mentioning who I work for...

I work for McAfee.

• Antonius said:
    Aegoth said:
    Farrah said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Farrah said:
    and I used to like you

I still like you, my sister in evil atrocity. Let the world burn 'neath the judgment ye cast down upon the pathetic peasants! Yea, lay waste unto the wretched and meek, for thy comprehension of basic law shall be their undoing!!! ARISE, OH HARBINGER OF DISSOLUTION, FOR THY TIME IS NIGH! AND SO SHALL THE WORLD TREMBLE IN FEAR!!!!!!!!!
    She's our attorney, thank you very much. Keep your hands off.

• Antonius said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Farrah said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Farrah said:
    and I used to like you

Ok then. Shall we see who is most disliked? I'll go against my previous comment about not mentioning who I work for...

I work for McAfee.
    We all already knew that, right? "I work for a security company, but I won't say who it is because everybody hates them." doesn't really leave that many options.
    You're quite right... 

• To be fair, Norton can suck my left nut too.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

Not gonna lie, when you posted @Sobriquet I immediately mumbled "fuck Norton and fuck Mcafee too" at Pickles who looked at me wistfully confused in his blissful ignorance of 15-times-a-day "UPDATE ME FUCK YOU" messages.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
    Aralaya said:
    Anyone who works at Comcast is steering very clear of this thread..
    Anyone who works for an internet or phone provider*

*Except maybe Verizon Fios
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Can't blame 'em. You'd only work there if you really had no other choice of keeping yourself fed and housed.

That said, my aunt worked at AT&T for years and years (but not for quite some time now) and still has awards she won there. But she's a real groovy lady, so I more or less expect anyone who works at these places to generally be fantastically awesome people, or just the worst. There is no in-between.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Physics instructor. 
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Hataru said:
    Torinn said:
    Stuff about not making enough money with a job you love
    Other stuff I accidentally deleted.
    Or you can just skip the crushing stress of trying to find a job in the market you love, go to vocational school, and join one of the many trades that are going unfilled because schools are brainwashing kids away from working with their hands and hate your well-paying job like everyone else.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    Or you can just skip the crushing stress of trying to find a job in the market you love, go to vocational school, and join one of the many trades that are going unfilled because schools are brainwashing kids away from working with their hands and hate your well-paying job like everyone else.
    Well..  you never know, that may end up being the thing you love to do. Plus it doesn't require a shit ton of debt to do it.

• Telinus said:
    "Oh hey there buddy, nice new computer. Did you know it comes pre-installed with me on it? No? Haha, you will.. you fucking will know.. even if you think you've removed me I'll be here. You think you understand popups? Oh my sweet child. Also, once you've finally managed to uninstall me, I'll be re-installed when you download a 3rd party piece of software. We'll be together forever and ever and ever.. Oh by the way you got a virus that I didn't detect."
    You're talking about Kaspersky, right?

Right??

• edited October 2017
    It's a bit ingratiating to have more degrees than the nurses who boss me around all night, but now I can pay my bills and the student loans are slowly melting. Plus next time I teach a semester I'm guaranteed to have a full credit card paid back, because that's not bill-paying survival money anymore.

Edit: Also. As much as it sucks to say, healthcare is a growth industry, I'm unionized and on government payroll. So I have really good social advantages, even if the schedule is soul crushing. That's actually why I stepped down as House Leader. Can't run a house if I can't think straight when I'm off duty.

• What sort of attorney, @Farrah?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• Caelan said:
    Rackham said:
    Mechanic from New England! Hail, rust! And I'm one of the good ones, not the ones who sell Johnson rods and Fromunda bearings.

But do you sell blinker fluid? Where in New England? I'm in CT near UConn.
    Masshole here from Woostah kid!  Hope y'all like paying too much for gas
  • edited October 2017
    Rackham said:
    Caelan said:
    Rackham said:
    Mechanic from New England! Hail, rust! And I'm one of the good ones, not the ones who sell Johnson rods and Fromunda bearings.

But do you sell blinker fluid? Where in New England? I'm in CT near UConn.
    Masshole here from Woostah kid!  Hope y'all like paying too much for gas
    Well.. our governor did go to the Duval Patrick School of Idiot-Governance

Worcester?  Damn I'm less than an hour away.

When are you folks going to stop banning Quakers and witches?  (and charging a licensing fee for the wearing of goaties..  especially since that's kind of your thing up there along with lambchops)