The biggest release in Achaea's history will be happening

Comments

• Penwize said:
    Xaden said:

If it satisfies any of these criteria then I click post comment.
    Even better when it satisfies more than one.
    Hey, at least you're satisfying something for once, amirite?
    Gotta take your W's where you can get 'em :D
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Strength spec'd Sirens. 
  • Nicola said:
    Popping in to say that I really loved that difference between the earth, belters, and martian folks in the Expanse, especially the Martian Marines on Earth and their training in higher gravity suits in case war ever came to a head.
    @Nicola where can I find the 2nd season for free? :(
  • Aegoth said:
    Nicola said:
    Popping in to say that I really loved that difference between the earth, belters, and martian folks in the Expanse, especially the Martian Marines on Earth and their training in higher gravity suits in case war ever came to a head.
    @Nicola where can I find the 2nd season for free? :(
    Can you Torrent? I have a spare invite to a private Torrent website that has everything you could want. Just keep a positive ratio and enjoy free shows. 

*Disclaimer: Some of the older stuff or less popular things wont be available. Example, my mother wanted some obscure Sandra Bullock title I couldn't find there. >.>
  • edited October 2017
    Regarding the "big" term being used as proof that "It's a new continent bigger than meropis"
    A mighty Dalamyrr
    Part 6

The Saga of the Worldreaver

The attack by Bal'met, the Worldreaver - a being of immense power from the future - was the biggest event ever to happen in Achaea, and lead to the death of over a dozen Gods, the complete destruction of Shallam - one of Achaea's two original cities - and much more.

Not saying this completely disproves the continent theory, but they've used big to describe events that don't include new continents.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Nicola did say "Bigger in terms of build and development time and scope", rather than size or room count.
  • does this mean the gods are coming back to life?
  • Nothing is impossible (we already saw Deucalion and Aurora returned at the end of the Bal'met stuff), but it's extremely unlikely. They were killed off for a reason, and those reasons haven't exactly gone away.
  • Whatever happened to that war/battle system tested during the Underworld event?
  • Makarios decided he didn't like how it played out and wasn't worth implementing as a long term war system.
  • Ysela said:
    Whatever happened to that war/battle system tested during the Underworld event?
    It was not very fun, and was scrapped.

• What I reckon, is that we'll probably not guess correctly. We might come close or touch on the right answer, but not nail it entirely. Either way, here are my favorite picks:

Imperian merges with Achaea - Probably the most unlikely event, even if it is my favorite. Imperian was my first serious MUD. It will always be special to me, even if its dead. The fact that it's dead also makes this more plausible. There's no way they'd bring in that many new classes though. But it does fit the bill of 'Bigger in terms of build and development time and scope' than any release since Achaea launch.

War system - From my experience across IRE, this is one of the hardest things to make. How do you make a system that lets the victor feel like they're conquering the enemy in terms of battle and land taken/occupied without making the losing side feel like they're being griefed back into the dark ages?

Gods coming back - Unlikely, but god damnit I love gods. Gods are awesome. Gods are like one of the most interesting and unique things in all of the IRE games. They make everything better! Yay gods!

Something something Starmourn - I don't see how you'd be able to cross the two universes, but it's a fun idea. Spaceships suddenly land in Cyrene and the aliens first experience with Achaean life is getting snuggled.

• As long as it isn't like the Jungle Inferno update from Team Fortress 2 (Yay, new stuff, but as an Engi main, boo on the Rescue Ranger nerf), I'll be good.
  • Devran said:
    What I reckon, is that we'll probably not guess correctly. We might come close or touch on the right answer, but not nail it entirely. Either way, here are my favorite picks:

Imperian merges with Achaea - Probably the most unlikely event, even if it is my favorite. Imperian was my first serious MUD. It will always be special to me, even if its dead. The fact that it's dead also makes this more plausible. There's no way they'd bring in that many new classes though. But it does fit the bill of 'Bigger in terms of build and development time and scope' than any release since Achaea launch.

War system - From my experience across IRE, this is one of the hardest things to make. How do you make a system that lets the victor feel like they're conquering the enemy in terms of battle and land taken/occupied without making the losing side feel like they're being griefed back into the dark ages?

Gods coming back - Unlikely, but god damnit I love gods. Gods are awesome. Gods are like one of the most interesting and unique things in all of the IRE games. They make everything better! Yay gods!

Something something Starmourn - I don't see how you'd be able to cross the two universes, but it's a fun idea. Spaceships suddenly land in Cyrene and the aliens first experience with Achaean life is getting snuggled.

I know, but.. Yes, please. 

It would be amazing to see more done with the villages of the realm. Ways of gaining alliances (not influencing like Lusternia please), support on the battlefield, reasoning to hunt particular areas (although the inverse has draw backs), etc. Whatever this is, consider me excited to be a part of it. I missed the whole tsol'teth thing completely so this will be my first "big" thing in Achaea really!
  • HataruHataru Midwest USA
    edited October 2017
    There's nothing really stopping people doing this with villages, though. I mean Mhaldor does it with Blackrock and Enverren, Ashtan does/did/not really any more with Thera, Good guys got Jaru/New Hope. We don't need system for it, but people are likely to complain more than they already do if there isn't one to back up any RP regarding it if it really spread.

Edit that being said, a system that allowed tangible benefit and shut down whiners who don't think RP/history is a good enough reason to protect an area is something I'm totally down for.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Hataru said:
    We don't need system for it, but people are likely to complain more than they already do if there isn't one to back up any RP regarding it if it really spread.
    CITY RELATIONS exists because otherwise people come up with shit reasons to defend: like, just being the same race as the Tsol'aa villagers, or Arcadians.

And also because RP with villages has to be two-sided/mutual. Cities don't just impose their will on the villages -- the villages and their (ICly) living, breathing, thinking denizens have to agree to mutually want each other's support. If CITY RELATIONS doesn't show a village as allied with you, it means they don't accept/want your help.
  • Kayeil said:
    Makarios, the Meticulous says, "Safe to say it is not something that will be guessable."

Not Azatlan/Therophage.

Nicola says to Zulah, "In fact, the biggest release in Achaea's history will be happening before the year is out."
    Nicola says to Melodie, "Bigger in terms of build and development time and scope."
    Nicola says, "And bigger than Meropis."
    Makarios, the Meticulous says, "Bigger than the last three times its been said."
    One active God or Goddess per city and at least one major RP quest/event every RL year would be worth more to the game than ten new Meropis's.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Pretty sure you can't wave your hands and make volunteers appear. The latter bit already happens, and usually more than once a year!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    Pretty sure you can't wave your hands and make volunteers appear. The latter bit already happens, and usually more than once a year!

Agreed, it takes more than a hand wave.

In the entire time I've been playing Achaea, I have never seen more than three Gods active at any given time (three being the absolute maximum). I have yet to see a major RP event/quest such as apparently used to happen in the "old days".

Something about the system clearly needs to be changed. A mud as big and powerful as Achaea should not be having these kinds of problems filling God roles and a lot of things feel outright broken without even a modicum of divine support. Fixing whatever is wrong would be, in my opinion, the single most terrific thing that could happen for the game.
  • The Black Wave 2 event can still be considered recent-ish, I think, weren't you around for that? :o

Also, godmin volunteers are usually faced with many thankless tasks. In addition to that, players are not only thankless, but they will also berate you for doing your job (making things happen). I would love more God roles filled, but I also understand why there aren't a lot of volunteers.
     <3 
  • Mercer said:
    Melodie said:

In the entire time I've been playing Achaea, I have never seen more than three Gods active at any given time (three being the absolute maximum). I have yet to see a major RP event/quest such as apparently used to happen in the "old days".

Something about the system clearly needs to be changed. A mud as big and powerful as Achaea should not be having these kinds of problems filling God roles and a lot of things feel outright broken without even a modicum of divine support. Fixing whatever is wrong would be, in my opinion, the single most terrific thing that could happen for the game.
    The number of active God roles at any one time has declined over the years, but so has the size of the playerbase so it's not that surprising that the number of volunteers for God roles has dropped. Personally, the longer I play the less appealing taking on a God role is; partly because I realise how unqualified I am, and partly because my character becomes a bigger and bigger investment that I'd be leaving behind.

There have definitely been periods with more than three active Gods in the past though.
  • You've been playing like a RL year and you've already had a really big event that spanned many months and several smaller events. There's also been at least 4 active gods at some point  in the past year lol, possibly even 5. It does no one any good to deal with weird hyperbole about how things never happen.

Also, again, most cities can function just fine without an active patron.
  • Mercer said:

In the entire time I've been playing Achaea, I have never seen more than three Gods active at any given time (three being the absolute maximum).
    Important distinction... just cause you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there...
  • HataruHataru Midwest USA
    Kiet said:
    You've been playing like a RL year and you've already had a really big event that spanned many months and several smaller events. There's also been at least 4 active gods at some point  in the past year lol, possibly even 5. It does no one any good to deal with weird hyperbole about how things never happen.

Also, again, most cities can function just fine without an active patron.
    Active when I came back in April: Twilight, Aegis, Sartan, Deucalion, Aurora.
    Twilight to a lesser degree than the others, but this is a minimum list. I saw @Kayeil
     mention Pandora had checked in at some point 6-8months ago (unless I'm remembering wrong). Also keep in mind this is just based off of who did anything public, so these are divine anyone could have seen some presence of. (Twilight shouted at people that one time and it was lolz)

It does seem like Twilight is gone and no on on forums is unaware of the Aurora situation. But that's still three active divine right now. Which seems a pretty crazy thing to claim is the "maximum" @Mercer when that's been consistent.

There have also been several godmin that were divine (not admin-type immortals like Nicola/Mak) who weren't active on the worldstage and were more admin than anything else (like Lupus). So the "true" number of divine is usually not the same as the ones you see blatantly, actively out there.

I honestly, in 15 years of play, can't think of a time where we had less than 3 active divine.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • Mercer said:
    Melodie said:

Really?  I've only been back since about August, and I've seen 3 or 4.  Aurora, Deucalion, Twilight, Aegis.  Pretty sure there's a log of it.  Might have even been 5

• Babel and Neraeos always seemed to have cool things going on in the past. I do think the "major" worldwide events have been great lately though. I'd like more faction v faction events - like the Arboretum and Marvinogian events. City invasions with real consequences.
  • hail nerose

• Farrah said:
    Babel and Neraeos always seemed to have cool things going on in the past. I do think the "major" worldwide events have been great lately though. I'd like more faction v faction events - like the Arboretum and Marvinogian events. City invasions with real consequences.

I have always wanted to see a military occupation of a city. Would be awesome, where you could actually set up camp and win over the guards or something. 

(Do this to Hashan and then the only way Twilight will aide them is if they embrace Darkness)