How did you find Achaea?

2»

Comments

• edited January 2013
    I'm not 100% sure how I found Achaea. My first MUD was Gemstone IV (no clue how I found it), but I couldn't afford $30 per month (being 12 years old). As far as I can remember, I started looking at other MUDs instead (I chose TopMudSites for the poll, but there's a good chance it was another similar site), and Achaea was likely one of the first few I tried. Obviously I liked it.
    Sultani said:
    I appreciate the irony of the 'free' aspect that brought so many players to Achaea ;)
    While Achaea has been far from free for me, it's been a lot cheaper than any monthly subscription after more than 10 years.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    500 people!
  • Read a kid's book about a boy playing a MUD and getting absorbed into the game. Googled MUD and this was the first result.

10 years later, I know exactly what that kid felt like.
  • Zmud, by random chance (it was near the top of list) circa 1999. 
  • @Delphinus I wonder what Leo Laporte's character name was.
  • Lyr said:
    @Delphinus I wonder what Leo Laporte's character name was.
    It shows "Archeopteron" in the video.
  • I genuinely have no idea how I found it but I assume it was from an ad of some sort? It was my first Mud and I didn't know they existed beforehand and now I play all the IRE games
  • A friend looked about for muds and we found one but it wasn't terribly interesting. I think I found Achaea via Altavista and I tried a few times to get myself into the game...and eventually did. Rest, as they say, is history.
  • I decided to start playing again the old mud i used to play back when i was 15, but i found it boring.. so i clicked the recommended items in my very old version of Zmud (was something like 2.something), tried first anime mud(?), horrible thing.. and my second shoot was Achaea because I liked the name.

• i honestly don't remember (it was like 12 years ago), but i think it was topmudsites or an ad. or i googled "roleplaying games."
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Sena EFF play.net. Just sayin'. DR was fun for a year or so. I miss my thief.... Wait, he was a Ranger, I SWEAR!
  • When i was 16 an ex and his friends kept going on about some game and something called 'maldoor' and it sounded really lame. Not long after I was at a sleepover with one of the girls who had started playing and she made me make my first character, who joined Shallam because it had a pretty name. As far as I know, none of the rest of them still play, but Katzchen (who I think may have been introduced by them?) obviously still does!
    "All men must die.. But first we'll live."
  • There was an ad for another MUD in a webcomic I used to read. I followed that to a MUD site (not sure if it was TMS) and picked one to try out.