Quick Combat Questions

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Natliya said:
    Hey.
    Is me again.

What does Pommelstrike Do exactly? 
    Is it simply the fastest balance, lowest damage, combo-capable strike available to a Blademaster? Or is there some hidden passive about stunning or amnesia or some such?
    In thyr this is how BMs stack afflictions / lock.
    You can get an impale out of when your balance catches up to their herb balance.
    You can get a stun out of it if you're a troll because it's considered blunt!
  • edited September 2017
    Anyone know if collar affects demon corrupt? The helpfile doesn't have it included, but some people say it does.  

As a follow up, does it also affect the mana 'damage?'
  • If it scales with int then collar should affect it, too. I'm not aware of any exceptions to that
  • edited September 2017
    Well except collar tells you the damage type they affect.  Pretty sure it's basically only Magi damage types or other classes that use the Magi damage types.  Sucking Mana doesn't count as that, I'm almost positive.  @Farrah will probably be around soon to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Collar increases damage from a magical source, it's not based on specific types of damage. It's definitely not only the "Magi damage types" (by which I assume you mean the four types of damage they can staffcast); kai choke is an obvious counterexample, since that's asphyxiation damage but is increased by collar.
  • For the most part, collar applies to any damage that's affected by int. I can't think of any examples that are boosted by int but not collar, and the only thing boosted by collar that I don't think is boosted by int is distort aura.
  • Don't need Farrah to tell you you're wrong, Torinn, just need to read the helpfile and do a bit of logical deduction!
  • Pfffttt things are considered "magical" in lots of different ways and not counted.  The word "magical" gets tossed around a lot.  
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Xaden dancing is anything but magical, I assure you.

I get he's a leprechaun and all, but doesn't mean everything he does is magical.
  • I've been chaining Staff attacks with Golem attacks, such as smash. But can't seem to chain them with Golem Impurity. Is that right, or is it an error on my part? If Impurity is a single attack, where is the benefit of a single affliction on a 2s balance?
  • Volphrin said:
    I've been chaining Staff attacks with Golem attacks, such as smash. But can't seem to chain them with Golem Impurity. Is that right, or is it an error on my part? If Impurity is a single attack, where is the benefit of a single affliction on a 2s balance?

Primarily just retardation afflicting.
  • edited October 2017
    Moved to tech questions.
  • How far in pvp can monk go without artefacts?
  • Exactly how long after you sip speed do you recover the defense? 
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Cen said:
    Exactly how long after you sip speed do you recover the defense? 
    I want to say six seconds?
    Huh. Neat.
  • 6 seconds, 8 if you have Leach from Depthswalker I believe

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Ahmet said:
    Cen said:
    Exactly how long after you sip speed do you recover the defense? 
    I want to say six seconds?

Pretty sure it's 5, but that's from memory not recent testing.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Five seconds, yeah. Not six.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Liatris said:
    How far in pvp can monk go without artefacts?
    Depends. Shikudo doesn't seem to artie dependent and is really strong if you can figure it out, but holy shit is it complicated. Definitely not recommended for beginners. Tekura is far more artie dependent since it is far more limited in kill paths, so you might have a harder time killing some people.

All in all I'd say, if you're fully confident in your abilities to understand a skillset and (most likely) code yourself some sort of system to help manage the offense, pick up Shikudo and wreck everything. If you're not confident, stick with Tekura for now until you are. Just know that you'll likely hit a health wall where you just can't kill people above that health due to your lack of damage.

• Antidas said:
    Liatris said:
    Depends. Shikudo doesn't seem to artie dependent and is really strong if you can figure it out, but holy shit is it complicated. Definitely not recommended for beginners. Tekura is far more artie dependent since it is far more limited in kill paths, so you might have a harder time killing some people.

All in all I'd say, if you're fully confident in your abilities to understand a skillset and (most likely) code yourself some sort of system to help manage the offense, pick up Shikudo and wreck everything. If you're not confident, stick with Tekura for now until you are. Just know that you'll likely hit a health wall where you just can't kill people above that health due to your lack of damage.
    What. This is totally not true at all. Tekura monks have some solid kill paths that don’t require artifacts man. It’s a new ball game.
  • While monks can scale incredibly well with artefacts, I believe a tri-trans tekura monk has all the tools they need to kill anyone.
  • Antidas said:
    Liatris said:

What. This is totally not true at all. Tekura monks have some solid kill paths that don’t require artifacts man. It’s a new ball game.
    Ehhh. Not sure I fully agree. You do have scythe which means monks do have a non-damage kill route finally. That said, its not an easy insta-kill to pull off, and requires some stupidity rng if I remember correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong here). I can't remember the last time I saw it done in an actual fight either way though.

• You're wrong!
  • Antidas said:
    Ehhh. Not sure I fully agree. You do have scythe which means monks do have a non-damage kill route finally. That said, its not an easy insta-kill to pull off, and requires some stupidity rng if I remember correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong here). I can't remember the last time I saw it done in an actual fight either way though.
    Wrench torso makes triple BBT an insta kill.

They definitely have the possibility to kill anyone.
  • If you're going to use scythe unartied, you'll likely need to be quick-witted to make it reliable. I haven't tested that seriously, but I think it'd be somewhat difficult to pull off, at the very least. 

If you're playing a +str race and go quick witted, I think it's got plenty of potential unartied, though. Monk damage is based far more around strength then around artifacts, so plenty of people will die to 16 strength backbreakers, and scythe and wrench torso should give viable alternatives.
  • Monks are OP, both Tekura or Shikudo. Arties will definitely make the class more appealing.
  • Just tested, definitely possible to pull of triple bbt with wrench. That being said, I consider it a defensive error to not just run tf away when you get wrenched, so I maintain its not really a viable kill strat against anyone over a certain skill level. Head/leg break fork is definitely viable, but again, not that easy to pull off a scythe unless you intentionally nerf your tekura damage by taking quick witted.

• Antidas said:
    Just tested, definitely possible to pull of triple bbt with wrench. That being said, I consider it a defensive error to not just run tf away when you get wrenched, so I maintain its not really a viable kill strat against anyone over a certain skill level. Head/leg break fork is definitely viable, but again, not that easy to pull off a scythe unless you intentionally nerf your tekura damage by taking quick witted.
    Kai Transition Horse, wrench + double-break arms, then combo transition to Bear stance to make fleeing unlikely. Tekura Monk has ways to pull off shennanigans.
  • edited October 2017
    Scythe is plenty viable with quick witted or a diadem. Wrench is solid against anyone that doesn't count torso, and then you have blackout to play with.

Mind you, it's definitely not as straight forward as some other classes. It's viable, sure, but takes some work.