Class Emotions

Comments

• salute1
    emote raises his sword in salute, hilt at chest level.

I never bothered to think of any more, but now I want to!
  • Vayne said:
    Coeur said:
    @Vayne Pretty please? :)
    We already have one if you did not know, Decan got us the new house items and DIRKTWIRL. If you want more you can suggest them, sure.

Haha, the old emote alias from Daes' system? I saw you use that a few weeks ago and thought you had nabbed it from me/him.
    (Party): Mizik says, "This can't possibly go wrong."
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Yep, it is a slight modification of his. LOL Daes...
  • BabelBabel Oblivion
    Cities may purchase custom emotes, yes-- up to two per organisation, last I checked. The price is really quite reasonable, too.

• But I am a miser.
  • KitarelKitarel Edmonton, Alberta

Merchants have 'rollcoin'.

We had a contest a few months back and people suggested different ideas. I didn't know you could have two though...

I think city emotes would be pretty cool since most cities have tons more gold than Houses.

Because editing doesn't work on this ancient browser...

[You take out a golden sovereign and roll it across the back of your hand,
    flipping it from finger to finger before slipping it back from whence it came.]

• Corbeaux said:
    Ourania said:
    Orgs can purchase their own emotes (subject to approval of course), so it is up to you kids to design/request them, if you want more! :)

Awesome, I did not know this. Thank you for the heads up!

Hehe. You said 'heads up' and it's funny because she's got three heads.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Kitarel said:

I think city emotes would be pretty cool since most cities have tons more gold than Houses.

Cities have to pay for repairs and improvement upkeep, in addition to any expansions or projects they'd want to tackle.
    @Delphinus - This is true. I completely forgot about the upkeep! Are there any cities that volly on near bancruptcy? That'd be pretty spiffy.
  • serpentcry

First person: The injustices your class has suffered become too much to bear, and tears begin to roll down your cheeks.

Appropriate for blademaster evade, vibrating stick, or pauldrons of shrugging.
  • Kitarel said:
    Are there any cities that volly on near bancruptcy? That'd be pretty spiffy.
    Yeah, having your events hindered because you can't pay for something would be super neato. It would be great, not being able to fund a new NPC or a new shop item.
  • @Delphinus awful snarky tonight!
  • Vayne said:
    Yep, it is a slight modification of his. LOL Daes...
    Call him by his real name, Achaean Jesus.

• Okay, for once this is a serious question:

Why don't folks just custom the emotes they want? If you want to IGly teach your esoteric bow to the members of your org, then go do it. If you find that non orgies (hmm, that's an unfortunate contraction...) are using your esoteric mannerisms, then do what you'd do if they were using your esoteric titles.

Love y'all.
  • Emoting takes balance so it's annoying?
  • Yes, the balance loss is annoying especially if you're following someone, you risk being left behind if you use custom emotes.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• edited January 2013
    If you're on the move -that- much, then why are you even bothering to use socials?  It'd look bloody idiotic seeing someone dash through the room while bowing at the waist or something.

And if it uses balance, so what?  If you're roleplaying, you shouldn't be doing much that uses balance anyway.  "OH NO, I'M OFF BALANCE FOR 1 SECOND AND I'M DOOMED oh wait no im in my home city and no one ever dies in just one second even if we get raided RIGHT THEN"

EDIT:

Going further, why is almost everyone in the game so damn shy of using custom emotes?  In roleplaying MUDs I've played before this, almost no one used the vanilla emotes.  Everyone used custom to some greater or lesser extent, spliced speech with it, and generally did well.  Why not here?  It's all "Woot" "hi" "wave" and "bow" and stuff like that.
  • I'd personally be in favor of emotes in general taking some sort of balance. I don't like to judge other people's expressiveness through media, including the medium of roleplay, and I'm not particularly anti-silly or anything. However, I am very much anti-spam, and when someone spams the same emote 3+ times (or, gods forbid, 10 or 20+ times), I feel like spamming them back with some good old ridiculously spammy Achaean combat. D:

Actually, it'd be pretty cool if says and emotes (predefined or custom!) were all on some sort of roleplaying balance that served to mainly just prevent people from spamming things. It seems kind of silly that custom emotes take up normal balance when they're not supposed to even be used in combat (or, at least, for any tangible benefit).

• @Nim For the love of god, yes.  No more bounce spam or sorry spam or what-the-hell-ever.
  • Nim said:

I'd personally be in favor of emotes in general taking some sort of balance. I don't like to judge other people's expressiveness through media, including the medium of roleplay, and I'm not particularly anti-silly or anything. However, I am very much anti-spam, and when someone spams the same emote 3+ times (or, gods forbid, 10 or 20+ times), I feel like spamming them back with some good old ridiculously spammy Achaean combat. D:

Actually, it'd be pretty cool if says and emotes (predefined or custom!) were all on some sort of roleplaying balance that served to mainly just prevent people from spamming things. It seems kind of silly that custom emotes take up normal balance when they're not supposed to even be used in combat (or, at least, for any tangible benefit).

A mechanical change like that would unlikely curb the lolsnugglers of the game. Makes little difference if they can enter bounce;bounce;bounce;bounce or just bounce, wait x milliseconds, bounce, repeat... 

Also, hypnotists and Aeon + snap(3x) people will not be pleased.

• I'm sorry, but nodding/bowing/snuggling as you move through a room, fearful of losing balance, is not roleplaying. It's emoting.  And... if you're worried about losing balance then just use a predefined emote. Maybe, whilst running behind your mentor, you don't have time to stop and do the specific thing you wanted to do.  It kinda feels as if there are two very different arguments going on here.  To the second: I don't think there's actually a Predefined vs Custom argument at all at the base of this. I think that the type of person who likes to piss people off spamming rubbish is less likely to use Predefined emotes because they're a bad player, not because there's no balance cost.

To the first:  The question "Can we have (more) org-emotes?" has already been answered twice.  "Yes, you can pay for them" and "Yes, you can make your own for free and share them but you'll not be able to use those on the few occasions that you're using balance."

To (badly) paraphrase @Delphinus: Hardcoding who can and cannot thump their chest twice and then reverently bow their heads seems a little odd thematically and doesn't do what it's intended to do.  Subcultures beget subcultural behaviours. Not the other way round.
  • @Sylvance you do not have to be 'running through a room' to have someone you are following decide that now, after standing around for 20 seconds is the time to start moving.

• KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited January 2013

I would say it is more common among Mhaldorians, we do not favour a lot of the regular emotes as they are just too happy go lucky, etc, so yes, we smile differently if at all, or show amusement differently, we do a lot of saluting/acknowledging of others.

There is a very small list, I could probably count them on the fingers of one hand, of people in Mhaldor Katzchen will let her guard down around enough to 'laugh', rather than her creepy 'fakesmile' custom emote, or 'sparkle' instead of the custom one I have set for showing amusement.

ETA: I'm not trying to argue that a lack of balance loss on custom emotes is necessary, but that it does effect some of us who regularly use them quite a bit, certainly enough to mention it as a downside.

• Katzchen said:
    @Sylvance you do not have to be 'running through a room' to have someone you are following decide that now, after standing around for 20 seconds is the time to start moving.
    I'm quite aware of that. I was exaggerating, but I'm sure you understand the point I am trying to make.
  • Katzchen said:

I would say it is more common among Mhaldorians, we do not favour a lot of the regular emotes as they are just too happy go lucky, etc, so yes, we smile differently if at all, or show amusement differently, we do a lot of saluting/acknowledging of others.

There is a very small list, I could probably count them on the fingers of one hand, of people in Mhaldor Katzchen will let her guard down around enough to 'laugh', rather than her creepy 'fakesmile' custom emote, or 'sparkle' instead of the custom one I have set for showing amusement.

ETA: I'm not trying to argue that a lack of balance loss on custom emotes is necessary, but that it does effect some of us who regularly use them quite a bit, certainly enough to mention it as a downside.

Okay, fair points. Personally, as somebody with a mudlet folder full of custom emotes, I've never had a problem.
  • Sylvance said:
    Katzchen said:
    @Sylvance you do not have to be 'running through a room' to have someone you are following decide that now, after standing around for 20 seconds is the time to start moving.
    I'm quite aware of that. I was exaggerating, but I'm sure you understand the point I am trying to make.
    Of course. But that doesn't negate my point.

• @Iocun I read @Nim's idea as removing the current balance cost of custom emotes, and just giving all emotes their own short balance. That way the balance loss doesn't interfere with things like moving, but you still get a bit of a guard against spam (intentional or otherwise). If it's fairly short (say, the same as the current balance for say-like commands), you'd probably rarely notice it, anyway.