What to do with 7500 credits on a new character.

Comments

• Class? Interests? Any information at all?
  • I'm open to suggestions on what class as I've not played for easily 7+ years. Probably just some chilled out bashing. Maybe some pk on the side but I imagine I'd be rusty, there's been several new classes added.
  • It's really impossible to tell you what to spend it on beyond 'lessons and some arties I guess' if you haven't picked a class first. If you're bashing you'll want a crit pendant, and wings are convenient for everyone, but beyond that class choice is gonna be too impactful.
  • I'm probably going to be a monk, I've heard there is dual class now? Not sure how it works.
  • I'm not sure how much it would cost to trans whatever I would need to do, but then thinking maybe, knuckles, girdle, health regen, crit pendant, sip ring, hp bracelet. Maybe wings. Some of those.
  • edited September 2017
    Keep in mind as a new character you'll have access to 2000 lessons from the store to lessen some of the costs in skills, as well as access to bonus lessons (7.5 instead of 6 per bound credit as I calculated) you'll also gain an ample amount of bound credits from leveling up.

If you decide on monk, you won't want a shield of absorption immediately, artefact armour (with absorption paragon) might be a possible alternative.

The choice in miniskill is based on your class, as a monk you'll want fitness, willpower usage is mostly for transmuting and pvp.
  • I'm going to look into all of this, thanks so much, I've had a quick look at the in game help files, it's all slowly coming back to me!
  • I wouldn't really go monk if you're starting with only 7.5k creds, it's an expensive class without any real edge over other classes even when fully decked out in 1 vs 1. Groups are a different story though.

Classes like SnB Runewarden/Depthswalker would have more reliable kill paths/equivalent utility but are somewhat cheaper.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • You'll need a few more artefacts for monk against more artefacted combatants, yeah.  The tekura variant also isn't the strongest class for bashing anymore.  Hopefully that helps as a baseline, try not to buy them all immediately - play a bit for yourself and determine what you need.
  • I used to love bard, how are they nowadays?
  • Bards are great.
      For bashing, you'll have access to harmonics (faster bal, healing) that you can efficiently pull along with you (with artefact).  They're one of the better classes in bashing but not very naturally tanky (leather armour).

For 1v1 PvP you'll be a hybrid locking/prep class with access to impatience with access to somersault (faster tumbles as prone defense).  It has a degree of complexity (due to afflictions being on different balances)

For group PvP you'll have access to harmonics (buff allies),  dirge (anti-gravehands) and of course, afflictions.  Its glaring weakness is it has a lack of natural line of sight abilities (can be augmented by a low accuracy artefact bow).
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Crixos said:
    bonus lessons (7.5 instead of 6 per bound credit as I calculated)
    8.5, not 7.5

2500 bonus lessons for the first 1000 unbound credits you convert
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    @Crixos faster balance / eq recovery from harmonics affects the bard's allies, not the bard itself

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    @Crixos faster balance / eq recovery from harmonics affects the bard's allies, not the bard itself
    Whoever classleaded that is an arsehole :(
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• edited September 2017
    RE: Lessons and harmonics, noted, my fault.

I would definitely recommend monk however in its 1v1 capabilities it hits a wall (as do most classes) when relying on its damage kills against artefacted opponents.  You could skimp on the defensive (bad for bashing, still ok for pvp) and buff your offense (str, collar, knuckles, diadem) and roll over - with some practice - most of the game.  Without those artifacts (and even with them against some people) you're looking at the bbt and scythe instakills, the latter of which I'd say is one of the more difficult, 'trick' based instakills the majority of the time (giving curatives into force eat, forcing touch tree, cancelling tumble, etc), unsuitable for a beginner / returning player.

That being said, 1v1 isn't for everyone and you can participate in all conflicts without any real money invested as any class (I do recommend the lessons though!).  Many artefacts you won't even notice, they just become cream on top of the cake.

Bashing is pretty universally bad as a tekura monk though both artied/unartied.

tldr; my own issue is with tekura monk's 1v1 rather than not having enough credits
  • In addition to that, it's difficult to keep up with the 'credit arms race' as a primarily damage focused class at least in 1v1!
  • I'd like to underline the idea that not everyone is geared towards the 1v1 combat scene, and in fact a lot of the combat systems in Achaea (city destruction, shrine defilements, crusades, etc.) are made for the group combat scene.

And in group combat, you don't need to invest nearly as much. Even the simplest damage combo will be a great addition to the team. I started dabbling in the combat scene as a druid with just one skill fully max'd (Metamorphosis), and I gave good support via Hydra (hinder, damage), even picking up some kills along the way.
     <3 
  • edited September 2017
    Hmmm, good advice, good advice, I am leaning towards bard, I need to look more into these newer classes a bit too. I have no intention on spending much more money on the game, I've spent thousands in the past and don't want to do that again haha.
  • Thanks for this, I've been vacillating between whether or not to invest serious money into my monk (due to the sale). If what you guys are saying is true, I guess I won't be investing any time soon.
  • The newer classes will be a bit cheaper, especially DW. You only have one artefact that finctionally changes your offense, so your credits can be spent elsewhere etc.

Shikudo monk you want the weapon and the augments, and all of the other stuff already mentioned.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Alecks said:
    Thanks for this, I've been vacillating between whether or not to invest serious money into my monk (due to the sale). If what you guys are saying is true, I guess I won't be investing any time soon.
    You can take advantage of the promo now. Don't have to spend the credits until you later decide. Promo like this is rare...
  • 7500 credits is more than enough to make monk viable.  Outside of raiding, there are arguable better classes for whatever you're planning on doing,  but a 7500 cr monk is no slouch. Defensive powerhouse for sure. Diadem is going to be the main artie that opens an alternate kill path, but for one on one, bbt definitely has enough umph(the instant kill is reasonable viable, and I don't even really use monk for one on one). Tekura is definitely weaker than shikudo, imo.  The lack of hinder as you prep really hurts, but once you get there, the simplicity and static progression is very easy to understand.  I personally find knuckles to be one of the easiest class arties to do without.

• Alecks said:
    Thanks for this, I've been vacillating between whether or not to invest serious money into my monk (due to the sale). If what you guys are saying is true, I guess I won't be investing any time soon.
    Omg another one with @Cooper's avatar picture. How many more will there be!
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    You tell me.