Nonstandard spelling to evoke mispronunciation, etc.

2»

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Kuru said:
    Meanwhile, I saw a newbie channel comment about city accents, and how while SET ACCENT MHALDORIAN is not only possible, but done, there's no real communication of what that sounds like.
    Russian.

Cyrene is French(Quebecois), Hashan is British, Ashtan is Boston or NY. Eleusis is Indian. Targossas is Italian.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    SET VOICE dentalisedly lisping
    SAY *with-a-dentalised-lisp Hmm.

You say with-a-dentalised-lisp in a dentalisedly lisping voice, "Hmm."
    joke answer ftw.
  • I've heard it said that Targossas is supposed to be somewhat middle-eastern.  
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • I have a "drawling, Dwarven" accent. No idea what Dwarven sounds like, though I did want the drawl.
  • edited September 2017
    Nazihk said:
    Kuru said:
    Meanwhile, I saw a newbie channel comment about city accents, and how while SET ACCENT MHALDORIAN is not only possible, but done, there's no real communication of what that sounds like.
    Russian.

Cyrene is French(Quebecois), Hashan is British, Ashtan is Boston or NY. Eleusis is Indian. Targossas is Italian.
    I think I've read something like that. I also read, elsewhere, that someone thought Mhaldorian should be more like German or Klingon. Harsh sounds, to match the harsh culture. But is it official? Everything I've read about this, to date, wasn't official. Just players like us, with opinions.

Edit2ce: Russian or Ukranian or some language in that family, might be a nice nod to someone. I just realised I associated the wrong name.
    Some words, dey hard to say wif my mouf.
  • Solnir said:
    I have a "drawling, Dwarven" accent. No idea what Dwarven sounds like, though I did want the drawl.
    Yes, racial accents/languages could benefit from an official description too.

I think there is or was some MUD with lots of languages, in which if you didn't understand a language someone else was speaking, you'd see something like, @Ahmet says something you don't understand in an interesting, described tongue. The Achaea version does not distinguish between Hashani and Targossian to the Mhaldorian, allied-to-neither-of-those-cities ear. Is this hard to code?
    Some words, dey hard to say wif my mouf.
  • Ashtan uses a lot of Latin in city ranks, room descriptions,  etc.

Targossas has very heavy middle Eastern connotations, but skips between Arabic and Farsi/Persian, it's a bit all over the map. The architecture certainly seems to be meant to evoke that flavour, however. 

The Anachaine language is meant to sound Gaelic? Or Celtish, or something? I'm not entirely sure, but can probably ask one of them! I assume Eleusian can't be all that different from Artemis' followers' language.

The others are harder to pin down, I feel, particularly Hashan since it's had so many rewrites.
  • Pretty sure Anachaine was a mix of like... Islander and like ancient Mayan, or aztec or something.
  • Xaden said:
    Kuru said:
    Xaden said:
    If you make me work to understand you then I want absolutely nothing to do with you. 
    You always have to work to understand other people. It's just not usually so simple as that they speak differently.
    I also mean people who talk in riddles. Or talk utter bullshit.
    Like yoda, @Xaden does not

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates