Another form of experience gain.

2»

Comments

• No, and that was just rapiers. Not including any other forged item, although I don't think combined total of everything else I've forged equals the number of rapiers I'm up to by now.

• edited January 2013
    @Hermaldo I really like some of your ideas regarding the celebration of figures and their achievements. How would you arrange it so that it's not always the same people being rewarded?

@Trey How's this?

In addition, the best reward the CIJ have received was when we performed at Thera's Soiree and we got put upon a plaque. The achievement was beyond experience and gold.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
  • Trey said:

Sasiya said:

Who said you had to be mechanically best at forging? In my opinion, the person that forged the most of a specific item is the best swordsmith or best armoursmith or whatever. So, yeah, whoever had the most free time they were willing to spend at a forge should be the best smith in Achaea.

I've got the record best for a fair few things, and I turned off my forged item counter when I hit 50,000 rapiers alone because it was depressing me. I think I win either way.

Edit: so where's this hammer?
    If you call that winning, then sure!

• Considering I paid for about 90+ % of my toys with profits earned IC, I do think it's winning, even if I did spend umpteen billion hours doing it.

• Beya said:
    @Hermaldo I really like some of your ideas regarding the celebration of figures and their achievements. How would you arrange it so that it's not always the same people being rewarded?

@Trey How's this?

In addition, the best reward the CIJ have received was when we performed at Thera's Soiree and we got put upon a plaque. The achievement was beyond experience and gold.
    That's one thing I am open for comment to. I am not sure of the best way ti implement this, but in my opinion there have always been things that people agreed on consistently throughout the player population. Most people think so and so is best at blank and so on. I always felt the Gods as players had a good handle on the strengths and weaknesses of their followers and the notables of the general population.

Perhaps hold competitions or something of that nature, maybe go with their gut on rewarding people for their achievements. Maybe getting rewards of things will incite competition in areas of the game people don't truly care about right now. I suppose I may just have entirely too much trust in the people behind the game, though I have always trusted the judgement in the game. As long as the game has been fun for men in any case.

• I am guessing Trey is probably at like 75,000-ish by now, but that's a pretty broad guess.
  •     I think RP awards would be nice, considering that I only really hunt anymore just to bring myself to 80 so I don't have to eat or sleep. I much prefer developing roleplay with others, which of course I can do without the reward, just....well, it's generally perceived that if you aren't a substantial level, by the time you're like 40 or 50, you've either been out of the realms for years, or been doing nothing but mudsexing. Houses provide a good RP environment, and I hear Orders do as well (can hardly wait to join one, myself!) but even Houses have minimum skill requirements that you need to reach, before becoming HR3. If I just focused on the RP like I wanted to all the time, I would still be HR2, with no access to the Master Crystal, or anything with even some substance to deepen the roleplay I could develop, which I discovered as soon as I was permitted access to the House Estate.  Cities require HR5 before even gaining any kind of position, it seems, so no political office there without experience gain, no matter how many people you befriend, influence, or ruin politically.
         I know the admins are so busy, and the Gods visit often, so they might not be able to watch out for serious roleplay going on to hand out rewards.  The only thing I can think of, is being able to hand out monthly rewards to others for their good roleplay, on a person to person basis.  You could even make it so that you have to be active for a certain amount of hours, before you're able to hand out rewards, so that you don't have people building a ton of newbies just to abuse the system, (though you could limit people to one alt to fix that). Yes, older players already have a huge advantage, and they COULD just give their friends in their clique rewards each month "Just Cause", but I'm not thinking we need to reinvent the wheel or anything. Those who were here first, often have the most influence, till someone manages to wrest some of it away. It's the way life works. I think there will be more people willing to reward honest roleplay, than the few that would abuse the system.  In the end, it would work, though that is just my opinion. :)
  • Aren't those called favors? Cityfavors for example are highly underused in some cities.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • Kakotas said:
    Aren't those called favors? Cityfavors for example are highly underused in some cities.
    Yes, but I was thinking on a personal basis, like for those who aren't even aligned with a city or house.  Just good roleplayers, favouring someone else who did well in a roleplay. 
  • I was never meaning that roleplay should be turned on and off.  I'm talking about specific events within roleplaying being rewarded, like perhaps a unique ritual performed by a Magi, with others participating, or a heated debate among Priests about the future of the Church.  I'm just saying, that many of the deeper possibilities of roleplaying within the established history and traditions in the game are limited to those who do some modicum of hunting.  You completely misconstrued what I was trying to talk about.  Roleplaying should be everpresent in Achaea, though many only pay it lip service.
  • I'd honestly rather see a punishment for a lack of RP. I swear, every time someone talks about cookies I want to dock them 5%.

Cookies developed around the time of AIM, back in the early 90's. It was a form of affection when in chatrooms, and very stupid. People would use asterisks to simulate emotes like *eating the cookie* or *noms the cookie*
    I'd like to pretend we're all grown adults. Stop doing this. I freaking hate cookies.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Aepas said:
    I'd honestly rather see a punishment for a lack of RP. I swear, every time someone talks about cookies I want to dock them 5%.

Cookies developed around the time of AIM, back in the early 90's. It was a form of affection when in chatrooms, and very stupid. People would use asterisks to simulate emotes like *eating the cookie* or *noms the cookie*
    I'd like to pretend we're all grown adults. Stop doing this. I freaking hate cookies.
    lol.  i've had to cltoff an ooc clan a few times, cause of how ridiculous it would get. I don't mind a bit of ooc in messages, or if really needed in tells to explain something, but when someone touches your mind with *noms* or something, while cute, how do thoughts "nom" on you?  Do you get a headache, from the telepathic signal gnawing at your brain?  Hehe
  • I've never been a fan of achievements in Achaea. If they're introduced in a non-invasive way, to reward completionist playstyles by just saying "Hurray, you done it!" then maybe. Significant rewards for achievements would water down a lot of the meaning in doing many of those things, though

• Sarapis said:
    We do actually want to put in completionist achievements (forge X items, kill X monsters, complete Y quests, destroy/build Z shrines, etc etc), though. My biggest wish there is quests, but unfortunately it is an immense amount of work to convert our quests to work that way. The whole reason you don't have a QUESTS verb is that the game doesn't have a concept of "being on a quest" generally speaking. It doesn't know when you're on a quest, as you know. We're going to convert them this year sometime, but it is a shudder-inducing amount of work, going through the prog of basically every NPC in the game and defining quests based on how they work, etc. 

As for rewarding roleplay, that's not really going to happen. If enjoying it isn't reward enough, there's probably not much point in doing it!
    Omg omg a Divine commented in my thread :D.
  • @Silas: I once played a MUD where exploring and gathering achievements was a huge source of EXP. Until you started making alts, it felt a lot less grindy than killing X things to get Y EXP, and even speaking as a non-completionist, it was honestly pretty fun (which honestly should be a pretty important goal for considering alternative EXP awards). However, the achievements weren't along the lines of "make 50,000 rapiers" but closer to "do this thing you've never done before."

Along that line of thought, I would personally love it if exploring granted a small bit of EXP. It'd probably encourage newbies to explore more often, and thus learn the world around them, at the very least! Though, it might also decrease the time players get protective newbie-status, which can already be pretty short, but I honestly think that's a separate problem that ought to be addressed anyway.

Also, @Sarapis: If you do add quest tracking, maybe there could be an extra bonus the first time you complete it, to encourage people to explore new quests rather than just doing the same ones over and over again, thus getting bored of them and gaining a negative opinion of questing.

Of course, I used the word "encourage" twice now, so I should probably add a disclaimer that I do, in fact, know that any sort of encouragement from the game will not convince everyone so encouraged, and the actual effects of such encouragement may be far from ideal. >_>

• edited January 2013
    I don't think rp should be rewarded. That'd take the intrinsic fun out of roleplaying!  

Edit: oh. Sarapis already said that.  haha! 
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.