Class/race ratio chart

2»

Comments

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Sigge said:
    Aliath said:
    Hmm odd that there are more Tsol'aa magi than Grook.
    Really? Kermit vs the Keebler Elf? (I think thats how most people think of them).
    fixed
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I always envision Tsol'aa looking like Legolas from LOTR. So yummy.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited January 2013
    Delphinus said:
    Iocun said:
    The allure of fantasy settings is not to experience something entirely different from what we already know, what we already are. If we wanted that, we wouldn't be playing Achaea, but perhaps some game that consisted of orange polygons in an eight-dimensional space, wobbling in indistinct patterns and playing white noise from our speakers whenever we press F9.

The world of Achaea and every typical "fantasy world", however, is like the real world in much more aspects than it is different from it.

The allure of these settings is that they are actually quite close to the reality we know and are part of, allowing us to play a character that is different from ourselves, but still close enough to be relatable, so we can imagine ourselves in our character's place without too much of a mental stretch. It's therefore absolutely no wonder that many like playing as humans, or human-like races.
    Absolutely this. Why communicate with language, walk on two legs, eat, sleep, or be comprised of matter? Why organise into cities? Why be situated on a planet, with forests, mountains, oceans, and solid ground at all, surrounded by an atmosphere? Why play a game where there's a sky? We already have a sky in the real world. Skies are boring.

To answer @Xaetherian's question more directly, and to pretend it isn't just rhetorical:
    • A good character's more about what you do than what you are. If you base an identity around simply being, that's called a prop.
    • There are plenty of opportunities to be something you're not: a serpent, an Eleusian, a follower of Babel. A human cleric of Sartan is pretty different from a real-world human. In this light, having leathery grey skin or an exoskeleton is somewhat unimportant.
    • Achaea's humans are born from the rape of a near-deity by a Lovecraftian horror. Can you, as a real-life human, lay claim to that? They're plenty special already.
    You are both putting way too much meaning into the amount of "different" I was implying. I agree, there has to be a solid level of realism for the game to be enjoyable, but why DOES Achaea include winged people, the abilities to jump through warmholes, and dragons stomping through cities? Because none of this is possible in real life. Using these options, and playing a fantasy in a fantasy world in general, are why we play games like Achaea, otherwise we'd just be playing a game of text-Sims.

• Agreed
    • Agreed partially, I agree class,religion, and personal beliefs make up most of the average characters persona, but race can be a large part of who a character is.
    •  Disagreed, Humans may have come about in a unique way, but from my understanding there is nothing special between real humans and Achaea humans, we look, move, and work pretty much the exact same.    
           I just feel if you're going to play a fantasy game, why not take full advantage of it? While the races are humanoid, if a player is worried about not taking it to the point of being a walking bug person, why not choose something very similar to Humans, but with unique characteristics to play into and with? Be a stronger then Human Troll, be a more graceful then Human Tsol'aa, or a more hearty then Human Dwarf.

I'd also like to make it clear that I don't disapprove or Humans as a whole, certain people like @Amunet make grate use of Humans and their history within Achaea, I just think there are more interesting and flavorful options in fantasy game then picking something so vanilla.                        

• Delphinus said:
    Iocun said:
    The allure of fantasy settings is not to experience something entirely different from what we already know, what we already are. If we wanted that, we wouldn't be playing Achaea, but perhaps some game that consisted of orange polygons in an eight-dimensional space, wobbling in indistinct patterns and playing white noise from our speakers whenever we press F9.

The world of Achaea and every typical "fantasy world", however, is like the real world in much more aspects than it is different from it.

The allure of these settings is that they are actually quite close to the reality we know and are part of, allowing us to play a character that is different from ourselves, but still close enough to be relatable, so we can imagine ourselves in our character's place without too much of a mental stretch. It's therefore absolutely no wonder that many like playing as humans, or human-like races.
    Absolutely this. Why communicate with language, walk on two legs, eat, sleep, or be comprised of matter? Why organise into cities? Why be situated on a planet, with forests, mountains, oceans, and solid ground at all, surrounded by an atmosphere? Why play a game where there's a sky? We already have a sky in the real world. Skies are boring.

To answer @Xaetherian's question more directly, and to pretend it isn't just rhetorical:
    • A good character's more about what you do than what you are. If you base an identity around simply being, that's called a prop.
    • There are plenty of opportunities to be something you're not: a serpent, an Eleusian, a follower of Babel. A human cleric of Sartan is pretty different from a real-world human. In this light, having leathery grey skin or an exoskeleton is somewhat unimportant.
    • Achaea's humans are born from the rape of a near-deity by a Lovecraftian horror. Can you, as a real-life human, lay claim to that? They're plenty special already.
    You are both putting way too much meaning into the amount of "different" I was implying. I agree, there has to be a solid level of realism for the game to be enjoyable, but why DOES Achaea include winged people, the abilities to jump through warmholes, and dragons stomping through cities? Because none of this is possible in real life. Using these options, and playing a fantasy in a fantasy world in general, are why we play games like Achaea, otherwise we'd just be playing a game of text-Sims.

• Agreed
    • Agreed partially, I agree class,religion, and personal beliefs make up most of the average characters persona, but race can be a large part of who a character is.
    •  Disagreed, Humans may have come about in a unique way, but from my understanding there is nothing special between real humans and Achaea humans, we look, move, and work pretty much the exact same.    
           I just feel if you're going to play a fantasy game, why not take full advantage of it? While the races are humanoid, if a player is worried about not taking it to the point of being a walking bug person, why not choose something very similar to Humans, but with unique characteristics to play into and with? Be a stronger then Human Troll, be a more graceful then Human Tsol'aa, or a more hearty then Human Dwarf.

I'd also like to make it clear that I don't disapprove or Humans as a whole, certain people like @Amunet make grate use of Humans and their history within Achaea, I just think there are more interesting and flavorful options in fantasy game then picking something so vanilla.                        
    Human is the best for bashing, that's why.
  • Sigge said:
    Aliath said:
    Hmm odd that there are more Tsol'aa magi than Grook.
    Really? Frog-men vs Elves? (I think thats how most people think of them).
    Yeah but people also tend to minmax a lot
  • I am one of 6 human bards. I feel special. 
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Hmm would it be possible to see a chart over the specialization distribution within each race?
  • I wonder how many of these people are still the race they started as, I think I am but I forget
  • edited March 2013
    Randlog said:
    I wonder how many of these people are still the race they started as, I think I am but I forget
    Not me, I started as a Jester in the Ty Beirdd house under Dumas (I think). Jumped almost all classes. This may be my 3rd time as an Apostate since 2005-ish.

Edit: But I plan on sticking to one class this time and developing other parts of the game that I haven't really explored much, like crafting and combat. Still, being a Jester is always intriguing. 
  • Randlog said:
    I wonder how many of these people are still the race they started as, I think I am but I forget
    I am, unless you count my race as dragon.
  • FitzFitz Fire and Spice
    Delphinus said:
    2013, not realising that Lovecraft is the one true prophet and that we're an experiment of the Great Old ones. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

• Fitz said:
    Delphinus said:
    2013, not realising that Lovecraft is the one true prophet and that we're an experiment of the Great Old ones. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
    Love this :D
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Randlog said:

Same race, same class. I've never used my original free reincarnation.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Same race, and I class-hop like a mini-Mizik.  Though I did use the free reincarnation at one point because I thought it would function like a trait reset.
  • I, or rather, my character, chose Human when she started her researches into the life of Nicator -- something which consumed her life to the extent of causing some definite behavioral changes (ie, swapping wilderness for civilisation because she wanted to know what it was like). I don't think I'll ever move from Human. It's just too fascinating from the viewpoint of the history of Sapience.

In other news, the real reason I wanted to post on this thread was to express my dumbfoundedness that dragons outnumber a great percentage of other races (not counting those above 200).
  • Kyrra said:
    I always envision Tsol'aa looking like Legolas from LOTR. So yummy.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • edited March 2013
    Eld said:
    Randlog said:
    I am, unless you count my race as dragon.
    Trevize was Tsol'aa when I first created him, but changed to Xoran -very- early. He's been Xorani since late 2003.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I don't class change, I make alts. So every character I have has been the same class/race since creation.