What would you like to see in Nexus?

We're currently working on putting together goals for the next version of Nexus, and thought it'd be handy to just ask this open-ended question. Name whatever you want - maybe it's something we haven't considered!

Comments

• *well, it would be nice to fix scrolling spam problem. in some situation when it occurs, some browser will freeze until it able to process them all.  it will occur often in raid and defense most of the time.sometimes few seconds.

*Also, it would be nice to add a CSS file to modify in the setting (somewhat similar to Reddit) to make Nexus look more awesome.

*I would like the Nexus setting loaded before login to the ire realms. for example, I want to capture some missed GMCP information that only happens right before the setting has been loaded and executed.

that all I have on my mind for now.

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Nexus is awesome and cheers for more development!! 

Things I would like: 
    - More graphic flexibility. I use @Zahan's mapmod to allow me to resize the column and row heights and set an auto-zoom on the mini mapper. It made me 10x happier with how the client worked. Having to constantly manually zoom out (since it goes back to the default all the time) is very annoying, which is what I had to do before using Zahan's mod.  I think the default zoom should be quite a bit more zoomed out anyway.  Sailing at the default zoom is pretty unworkable. 
    - More robust walk-to that takes into account room names and vibrating stick/wings. I have mudlet envy over their walkto functionality.  
    - Offline system editing. 
    - Fix the bug that causes people to lose all their settings occasionally. If you exit the game (or get disconnected) and leave the settings tab open, there's a chance all your settings will be erased. I back mine up weekly now, but it's happened to me twice and it's happened to just about every nexus user I know at least once.  
    - Some kind of more robust encouragement/advertising for people who develop useful nexus packages. I know you host some of them on the website, which is great, and maybe there's not much you can do on your end, but one of the biggest mudlet draws is being able to use things like Keanunung's (sp?) bashing system, various combat systems. etc. I imagine you wouldn't want the workload of having it be monthly, but what about occasional package contests where people can submit their nexus packages and the best ones win credits?  Or maybe a central website for nexus packages so that the ones that are most downloaded show up on the front page? 

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    edited July 2017
    Is it possible to bring back the original Achaea font as a font option?

For main window AND wilderness window:

• edited July 2017
    The main reason why I couldn't use Nexus is the mapping.

Basically, I cannot live without the option to look up a room's vnum and then "go 22228" or whatever. As long as you don't offer that functionality, I will consider Nexus to be borderline unusable and it will continue to be a major reason why third party clients are dominant.
  • Tab-completion for text would be really nice. Every time I tab and it cycles through targets in a room I get very confused.

To build on @Krypton's point, text selection in general would be great - I really like Consolas, but everyone has their preference.

Not exactly a feature request, but It'd be nice to have some basic bashing keybinds set up for new players (the battlerage buttons are cool though!), I've had a few people request help with this before.
  • The key thing that pulled me away from Nexus is scrollback lag. Anytime I attempted to scroll back over what had already left the main screen, I experienced immense lag (10-15 seconds) when I initially scrolled up. Seeing as how I was interested in combat, at looking over fights is the best way to learn, this made the client unusable for me.
  • Oh, if you could have some way to pull logs off Nexus, that'd be cool!
  • Log thing is seconded. Would help very much with reviewing and sharing spars for opinions.
    There is. The button next to Fullscreen is a "Start/Stop Logging" button.
  • The big thing is handling how the main output handles text; I'm not sure if anyone's tried to fight in Nexus when group spam is happening - the client just cannot handle that amount of throughput in that period of time. The input becomes bottlenecked and you end up staring at the screen waiting for catchup. Very similar when I wrote a simple telnet client for Chrome: for the most part it was fine, until it started needing to parse 100+ lines per second. It still did ok but the input delay was aggravating (upwards of 200 ms).

For the scrollback lag, with my own client, I changed the way the data was presented which made it much more tolerable; less efficient but much more tolerable. The entire output window was frozen and static, and a short 'new' input window hovered near the top to keep the player up to date on incoming changes.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• Nazihk said:
    The main reason why I couldn't use Nexus is the mapping.

Basically, I cannot live without the option to look up a room's vnum and then "go 22228" or whatever. As long as you don't offer that functionality, I will consider Nexus to be borderline unusable and it will continue to be a major reason why third party clients are dominant.
    Yes please.

Also, is there a way for help files to be displayed as text in the main window without having those popup windows? Maybe there's already a disable function for that, but I don't know about it.
  • Krypton said:
    Logging creates a lot of lag for me. If I want to log a longer event I have to do it in 2-3 chunks, and that's just house events and concerts and things. I imagine for a combat log, the lag would start after just a minute or two. 
  • edited July 2017
    Laedha said:
    Krypton said:
    Logging creates a lot of lag for me. If I want to log a longer event I have to do it in 2-3 chunks, and that's just house events and concerts and things. I imagine for a combat log, the lag would start after just a minute or two. 
    Having the logging button enabled induces lag after about a moment or two into a fight for me. Gets a lot worse when I've got a relatively decent amount of afflictions on me too and I'm trying to hit or runaway and cure.

God forbid I turn the thing on when we're being raided and the already bad, 'you must wait 15 seconds before the screen changes' gets longer.

I'd be okay with being able to highlight stuff in the scrollback and having right-click provide a 'copy html' option like mudlet does so I could post to Ada's pastebin and have coloured logs that way. Especially since half the time I use the logging function I just get a black screen when I try to view it.

Edit: Or, you know, I could just have really shitty internet.
  • The ability to automatically dash or gallop while traveling across the map.
  • edited July 2017
    Removing some of the clutter or making the GUI configurable would be good. I don't really like the defences portion or the mobs-in-room tracker. Some of us are old, we like our screens un-cluttered!

The target capture is annoying in nexus, as well. If you use the command separator in game to move and then attack, it sometimes doesn't catch the targets you set through achaea until you look, or quick-look.

Eta: HTML log format would be great. 
  • TalamondTalamond Atop his throne of books
    edited July 2017
    * I really dislike the feature of dragging/swiping to switch to the side panes on a non-maximized window, and mobile. I very rarely do this deliberately, and it makes selecting text difficult. I would like options to change this to clickable buttons or disable it entirely.

* On desktop, it's annoying trying to read/select something in your scrollback when every new message shifts the scroll position. I'd like it to stay on the same part of the text, assuming I'm not hitting the scrollback limit.

* I'd like an option to set the size of the scrollback buffer to much higher than the current default.

* On mobile, the tiny settings and history buttons hovering over the right side of the input field are troublesome if I need to edit a long input before I send it. I don't mind the position of the buttons, but why does the input extend to be partially under them?

* Also on mobile, can selecting something from the command history just paste it into the input field instead of sending the command? Up/down isn't easy to access, and sometimes I want to perform a previous command with a slight tweak.

* Also also on mobile, there seems to be a bug where using the buttons occasionally results in them sticking in the "pressed" position, which causes their tooltip to display, even when tooltips are disabled. (Running on a Nexus 6P, Android 7.x, if that means anything.)

* Finally, please add the ability to set multiple conditions for triggers.
    Devran said:

Also, is there a way for help files to be displayed as text in the main window without having those popup windows? Maybe there's already a disable function for that, but I don't know about it.
    On the settings page > Display Options tab > Interface section > Uncheck "Show HELP files in a new window".
    edited July 2017
    Talamond said:

* I'd like an option to set the size of the scrollback buffer to much higher than the current default.
    Heh. Just found it: Advanced tab.
  • Oooh yes, multiple conditions for triggers would be awesome.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Talamond said:

* On desktop, it's annoying trying to read/select something in your scrollback when every new message shifts the scroll position. I'd like it to stay on the same part of the text, assuming I'm not hitting the scrollback limit.

Yes, this!! I was trying to catch a line for a trigger while seamonster hunting today and couldn't get it during the fight, and then when I went back later it was past my scrollback limit. So very annoying. 
  • edited July 2017
    Laedha said:
    Talamond said:

Yes, this!! I was trying to catch a line for a trigger while seamonster hunting today and couldn't get it during the fight, and then when I went back later it was past my scrollback limit. So very annoying. 
    How long did that fight take? Scrollback limit is 5k lines.

Edit: Woops, forgot not everyone sets it that high, sorry.
  • Chubbs said:
    Laedha said:
    Talamond said:

How long did that fight take? Scrollback limit is 5k lines.

Edit: Woops, forgot not everyone sets it that high, sorry.
    Might be my computer but when I set it that high, the client slows way down. 
    Talamond said:
    Devran said:

On the settings page > Display Options tab > Interface section > Uncheck "Show HELP files in a new window".
    The issue with this is that the HELP files displayed this way ignore your CONFIG PAGELENGTH. A long file like HELP MISC ARTEFACTS will display in the main window in its entirety -- you have to scroll to find what you're looking for, and it pushes a lot of things off your scrollback history.

• Reyson said:
    Removing some of the clutter or making the GUI configurable would be good. I don't really like the defences portion or the mobs-in-room tracker. Some of us are old, we like our screens un-cluttered!

If you right-click in the main window you can select/deselect which of the GUI tabs and windows you want to see. (I run minimal theme with only Global Communication Window.) The entire GUI is pretty much customisable in that you can choose what you want to see.

• Super cool, good to know! 
  • 1- Fix the broken avatar upload. 
    2- More mobile friendly verison for iOS and Andriod based phones. 
    3- I'd personally recommend making the GUI boxes and such customizable, such as what you want. For example the option of including a map, and a chat box (or have options to have everything as it is). 
    4- I definitely agree with the above to include a more advance map. 

• Customizable GUI a la Zulah.

A mudlet to nexus automatic script converter. 

• Tysandr said:
    The big thing is handling how the main output handles text; I'm not sure if anyone's tried to fight in Nexus when group spam is happening - the client just cannot handle that amount of throughput in that period of time. The input becomes bottlenecked and you end up staring at the screen waiting for catchup. Very similar when I wrote a simple telnet client for Chrome: for the most part it was fine, until it started needing to parse 100+ lines per second. It still did ok but the input delay was aggravating (upwards of 200 ms).

For the scrollback lag, with my own client, I changed the way the data was presented which made it much more tolerable; less efficient but much more tolerable. The entire output window was frozen and static, and a short 'new' input window hovered near the top to keep the player up to date on incoming changes.
    This holy shit, this.

Group fights with more than 6 people start to get REALLY hectic and super laggy.  To the point where I just sit there staring at my screen for 30-60 seconds and going "Am I dead?" and end up just opening the deathsight app on my phone to see if I should still be hitting the jai command or not.

The mapper being updated would also be seriously lovely.  I literally cannot navigate NIshnatoba currently (and refuse to hunt LHG) simply due to the fact that the rooms just aren't mapped.  I asked @Makarios a few months back about adding NIshnatoba's map to Nexus and he said he'd look into it (since the mudlet mapper really does trivialize everything a lot of the time).

Offline scripting would be a fucking blessing too.  Just give us a good auto-walker with some functions like auto-gallop, etc etc and I'm in love with Nexus all over again.

I've been tempted to swap out to Mudlet for...

A: Good mapper
    B: Better script support (AKA: my friends can actually help me instead of going "lol i dont know nexus"
    C: Bashing Scripts.

Get at least 1 of those fixed and I'mma love ya'll.