Don't Take Any Wooden Jewellery Schematics

Would it be possible to simplify jewellery? Get rid of the schematics by material and just have one per type (necklace, hoop, etc.) - like cooking has one recipe per type (bowl, plate, etc.).

Then add the ability enabling adventures to:

DESIGN <sketch> MATERIAL ADD|REMOVE [[#] <material>] (for Jewellery only)

The material would be most of what's already able to be rifted within that section of the rift, such as bone, cloth, coal, gems, gold, ice, iron, lacquer (for glass), leather, obsidian, horn, platinum, rope, silver, steel, and wood.

This would give adventurers more freedom in designing things created from materials currently unavailable, like wood or rope. As with anything, there would be a bit of a learning curve but once in place, it could also help cut down on the number of questions, issues, complaints, etc.

For example, when creating "a black diamond navel ring" which, upon examination appears as "A curved barbell of darkest obsidian forms the base of this body piercing. Carved into the shape of a Vashnarian wildflower, the top ball secures the adornment in place. A prong-set black diamond dangles from the bottom of the navel ring, the gemstone glittering in the presence of light." one would use the newly available "a schematic for a plain navelring" (which would replace the six types currently listed) and the commands:

DESIGN SKETCH MATERIAL ADD 1 OBSIDIAN
DESIGN SKETCH MATERIAL ADD 1 GEMS

to add the two materials mentioned within the design.

Comments

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    No because then the value of tradebooks drops through the floor!
    Huh. Neat.
  • I really like this idea. It would allow more flexible material use but be more intuitive. 

People with tradebooks should have the schematics in the tradebooks switched, if this happens. I don't know how many people bought multiple tradebooks in order to fit all the schematics, but if anyone did, possibly they should be allowed to tradein the tradebook for full value. 
  • There is only one jewellery tradebook. It fits ALL the schematics.

I like this idea. While it may have been better submitted as a classlead, I think it's a worthy enough idea to implement between classleads, should the Garden wish. (And I hope they wish.)
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    My first thought is after having gotten a tradebook and having forked out to get all the schematics, it's lame.

It's a really fantastic idea though and would remove a lot of the guess work when it comes to crafting, and needing to use the schematic of the most expensive metal and such. I like that it would offer more flexibility and possibilities toward design, and I am always in favour of symplifying things.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Lisbethae said:
    There is only one jewellery tradebook. It fits ALL the schematics.

I like this idea. While it may have been better submitted as a classlead, I think it's a worthy enough idea to implement between classleads, should the Garden wish. (And I hope they wish.)
    Does it really? I thought it fit 50 and so I was being choosy with which I added. Not sure why I thought that. Never mind then. 
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Aethele said:
    Lisbethae said:

Does it really? I thought it fit 50 and so I was being choosy with which I added. Not sure why I thought that. Never mind then. 
    Probably habit from packs and most containers having a limited number of items. You can fit every pattern, schematic, or recipe in the respective tradebook.

Also a lot of people aren't aware that you can copy the base designs directly from where they are sold instead of buying it, copying it, and having to feed it to a humgii. 
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

Kyrra said:
    Aethele said:
    Lisbethae said:

Probably habit from packs and most containers having a limited number of items. You can fit every pattern, schematic, or recipe in the respective tradebook.

Also a lot of people aren't aware that you can copy the base designs directly from where they are sold instead of buying it, copying it, and having to feed it to a humgii. 
    This seems like a bug.
    Huh. Neat.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Tradebooks are referred to as "massive" in the help file description, and there's no statement of limited capacity at all.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Ahmet it's not, it's in the syntax!

Kyrra said:
    @Ahmet it's not, it's in the syntax!
    Good to know :open_mouth:
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Kyrra said:
    Aethele said:
    Lisbethae said:

This seems like a bug.
    I always put mine in the Crafter's Clan hall so others can copy it as well, and announce it on UUC.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Lisbethae said:
    I always put mine in the Crafter's Clan hall so others can copy it as well, and announce it on UUC.

I did that the first time around! I traded in my tradebooks though, so when I repurchased them, I just bought the copies directly into my tome, which seemed a lot more efficient for me. I just dislike clutter and the option is there, and I think it's awesome that you're able to do that.

• AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited June 2017
    I don't mind the current system of just using the closest schematic in value to whatever the material is. I've never had problems with doing wooden designs (or any other material). Then again, the suggested system seems to function okay, as long as we're not exclusively denying any material that's not already on the 'list.' So either way works for me.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    The problem is that the current system is extremely reliant upon  the subjective opinion of whoever is doing the approval. Meaning one day someone might decide they're not going to accept that adding a clasp or a tiny detail of the schematic's base material is sufficient for approval. I'd rather make a change that promotes a chance of consistency

• Heck, I've done designs that had NOTHING in them from the original schematic and still had no problem getting them approved. But like I said, I'm down with a new system as long as it's not exclusive.
  • MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    Aereidhna said:
    I don't mind the current system of just using the closest schematic in value to whatever the material is. I've never had problems with doing wooden designs (or any other material). Then again, the suggested system seems to function okay, as long as we're not exclusively denying any material that's not already on the 'list.' So either way works for me.
    The suggested change would open the list to more possibilities without adding a new schematic type for each type of jewellery that adventurer jewellers can currently craft.
    @Madelyne You can already make things out of materials that aren't listed, as was stated. Just use the schematic that's closest in approximate value.
    Huh. Neat.
  • MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    Ahmet said:
    @Madelyne You can already make things out of materials that aren't listed, as was stated. Just use the schematic that's closest in approximate value.
    Aereidhna said:
    Heck, I've done designs that had NOTHING in them from the original schematic and still had no problem getting them approved. But like I said, I'm down with a new system as long as it's not exclusive.
    Things have been returned as of late. It happens every time there's a transition with Whoever helps Amarisse. This idea was a suggestion to cut down on frustration for both Them and us.