This war

Comments

• Now that you mention it, a system like Bicentennial wouldn't be bad. Cities score based on categories, so that individual contests don't count towards the point total, unless the City wins the category. Duels, tanks, skirmishes, Nish battles, naval battles, all contribute, just like riddles, twins, tumblerace, etc. etc. all contribute.

Can have more frequent events of each that way, with more variety, without each being such a huge deal, incentivizing people to play more.
  • Out of curiousity and as someone with no experience of naval combat, why was the naval battle a 1v1? I had assumed it would be as many ships as possible, that inexperienced captain sailing off in the wrong direction and accidentally spawning a sea monster, someone getting lost eternally at sea, etc.
  • Ysela said:
    Out of curiousity and as someone with no experience of naval combat, why was the naval battle a 1v1? I had assumed it would be as many ships as possible, that inexperienced captain sailing off in the wrong direction and accidentally spawning a sea monster, someone getting lost eternally at sea, etc.
    Well numbers are one of the biggest factors in naval combat. For example we've beaten two striders with a single ship purely because we had 4 competent people on board, versus 3 spread over the two ships coming against us. Not limiting how many ships or crew you can bring would turn it into chaos. Although admittedly that might be incredibly fun too.

Next time it's going to be 2 striders vs 2 striders though, and hopefully we'll put up a better fight then. We sure learned a lot from the galley v galley though, but it's also not something I'd personally want to repeat, I think there's more flexibility involved in multiple ships going against each other with limited numbers on board.
  • Xaden said:
    Great. Now I'm picturing @Greys in a skirt.

Thanks. For. That.
    Behold: the Targossian Navy in uniform!

Now animated, as they prepare for the Naval portion of the war:

Sauce: Binbougami Ga!

• You're just jealous. We were faaaabulous
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • There's a trousers design for those who wanted that instead of a skirt, and then there were different shirt designs based on navy rank (mine was midshipman).
     <3 
  • Agreed.  I think a bunch of us had stuff planned for win/loss but it is true that our IC actions were not in line with what our characters would do normally in that scenario.  We were playing "optimally" but not playing IC.  
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • I was! Pew pew!

• Ugh I didn't get too write my scathing post to Mhaldor that was going to get me killed and disfavoured :(

• Should we ever make an attempt at this kind of war again, something needs to be done to the reliance of raids... The way its currently setup either side could always just deny every opportunity. Deny duels, Deny sanctions.
  • Damn, now we don't have an excuse to send Beggar Tuck to Mhaldor... =)
     <3 
  • It also makes sense from a roleplaying perspective on Mhaldor's side. 

• Congrats on the new job @Kythra !
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Yeah, this totally makes 100% sense and I fully understand why it was done, but my motivation to keep warring is pretty substantially lowered. Which, is fine. I'll probably just finally play Abzu and get my schoolwork done early this week, and prep for the naval battle.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • What about preplanned raids? Where when the time comes one side immediately gets sanction?

Take turns, one in Mhaldor, one in Targossas.
  • Alrena said:
    Honestly I'm kinda relieved the stakes were lowered and we can have more casual fun skirmishes. I'll agree that in the next attempt, relying more on preplanned battles could be a lot of fun, though I'd hope at different times of the day! Europeans can't do a Nish battle at 3am! Well, it's not good for us anyway. Even if it's high stakes then, all engagements will have a clear ending and allow some breathing room.

Also yes to Naval battles.
    Pre-scheduled is probably the only way to go at this point, yeah. Also agree that it's nice to be able to tie in Naval things for once.
  • Think that sounds good on paper @Taryius, but it's probably a lot of coding and whatnot on the God-end. Makes sense logically, but from a practicality standpoint, it's ridiculous that we'd need to code in hard-set game modes to counteract currently used tactics. But, if it's a necessity, always an option!