The War: Ideas not rants.

Comments

• @Skye that is great.  Only suggestion I have is some limitation on the person doing the challenging to be within 50 ranks of the other person.  Or 100?
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • edited June 2017
    Skye said:
    The complaint about people cherry picking their duels and there 'only being two fighters willing to engage' makes me think that there should be a system in place for it.
    Those penalties seem really... Bad- no offence; they just seem a tad too punishing. :/

I'd rather the board worked like ranked spars do, where it automatically places you into a sanctioned fight when a person from either side signs up to it, but like...

Put board at NoT. Once a person from each side is on it, they're notified it's their turn. They then have 3 mins to TOUCH BOARD. Once both are there, port them to the arena (but disable the 'curatives aren't used in the arena' part) and peace them for 30s to prepare. If they're not there before the timer ends, they can't again until Serenade and the other side gets a point.

Rules simple:
     >15-20 minute timer, if it expires then no side gets points and neither can queue again until Serenade.
     > Loser gets 1 point for actually fighting and not sitting around, winner gets 2 or 3.
     > Loser can't fight again until Serenade, winner can't for 1-2 Achaean days.

To prevent the better duelists constantly facing lesser ones, make a tiered system that activates when the war starts:
     - CL/MoS/MoW/Army Rank 5 are A-grade,
     - Army Rank 3/4 are B-grade,
     - AR 2 is C,
     - Everyone else (that's enlisted) is D.
    --->To counteract mass-demotions, it'll base off of the highest rank you've been in the army.

You'll never fight above your grade (you also won't know who you're fighting until you join). Winning 2 or 3 in a row will raise you a grade (make it visible on the board or something, idk)... Start at D > win 2 fights > you're C-ranked now. If you lose more than 3-4 in a row, you get demoted a rank.

Rather than the suggested penalties, make it something like this:
     - If there's not at least 1 A-rank fight before Serenade then both sides lose a point. If no A-ranked people from a city queued then that city loses another 1-2 points. That way the ones who started the war actually have to fight in it constantly.
     - If you're queued longer than ~30-45 minutes then it'll expand and you'll get matched vs people +/- 1 from you. B will fight both C and A, for example.

--------------------
    Alternative to the touch board thing, get Aegis to make a curator denizen of some sort that you can send a tell, and the denizen will summon you from anywhere to the arena (provided it's your turn).
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    yeah I think i like your penalties better too. However, why the discrepancy in cooldown times for winner/loser?

• edited June 2017
    Skye said:
    yeah I think i like your penalties better too. However, why the discrepancy in cooldown times for winner/loser?
    Mostly a lack of trust for certain individuals :p

Doesn't make much difference either way, I figured the winner would be encouraged to continue fighting and gaining points; the loser would be prevented from costing their side more points.

In addition to the post above, make it so that you're not told/notified when people from the other side join the queue. To stop others from just keeping an eye on the board to see when people queue, could even have it so you can join from your city's bounty board rather than going to NoT.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Are CL/MoS/MoW also vulnerable to being demoted or will their rank sustain them perpetually in the A rank tier?

• Sure. Could make it so A/B have to lose double the amount to get knocked out of their grade or something, just so there'll always (probably) be someone at that rank to queue, and they don't suffer the daily penalty (unless said person decides not to queue).
  • edited June 2017
    Sayenna said:
    To prevent the better duelists constantly facing lesser ones, make a tiered system that activates when the war starts:
     - CL/MoS/MoW/Army Rank 5 are A-grade,
     - Army Rank 3/4 are B-grade,
     - AR 2 is C,
     - Everyone else (that's enlisted) is D.
    --->To counteract mass-demotions, it'll base off of the highest rank you've been in the army.
    Basing that off of army rank is a bad idea because army rank has nothing whatsoever to do with how good you are at dueling. I got my army rank by being good at group combat and because Targossas needed more people with the ability to disarm tanks. Dueling isn't involved in the army system at all, and so army rank is a terrible way to organize a dueling system. 

Also, I feel like a war is the wrong place to try to emphasize 1v1 duelling. If you want to do that kind of thing between cities arrange some kind of a tournament of champions or something. Wars should primarily focus on group combat and objectives.

• What about if the ranking tiers were based on these sanctioned duels? Everyone starts even, then through the victory and losses they are separated out into their tiers?
  • I much prefer there being a hard limit on the amount of times an individual can duel during the war period. That means that you have to use your duels strategically; sure, you can burn your big guns on sure wins, but you could gamble on spending them on the enemy's big guns and hoping your less seasoned hands can win you some points. Makes it a bit more strategic, like, instead of just a rehash of combat rankings: outside the arena version.
  • edited June 2017
    Reyson said:
    I much prefer there being a hard limit on the amount of times an individual can duel during the war period. That means that you have to use your duels strategically; sure, you can burn your big guns on sure wins, but you could gamble on spending them on the enemy's big guns and hoping your less seasoned hands can win you some points. Makes it a bit more strategic, like, instead of just a rehash of combat rankings: outside the arena version.
    It could even be set up like a tournament. Get a list of people willing to duel (since hopefully the next war isn't 24 days) from each city, then work with a neutral third party to develop a roster of who duels who. If we have 10 fighters willing to duel and Targ has 33, Targ starts the list by nominating 'Atalkez', then Mhaldor replies with like, 'Medi'. And then it's Mhaldor's turn to name one, and Targ gets to reply with their nomination to fight that person, etc. etc. Then the list is developed, you got your list of people to fight. If you don't fight your duel, the neutral third decides who gets the win. Obviously 23 of Targ's people wouldn't get to play, but you could also allow extra duels for the less populated side.
  • I'd like it if there were a channeled action non-combatants could do during a raid for tanks to charge faster or to slow down the progress of the font, or something not-game-breaking but tangible and advantageous like that.

It could work -like- the font, in that you have to have the mechanism primed with something (can be a gathering quest, can be kill-a-denizen like eidolons, can be anything you want) that requires a time investment before battle-time and a don't-move action during battle for a tangible advantage that non-coms can safely engage in, to give their warrior pals an advantage during big group combat.
  • edited June 2017
    Reyson said:
    I'd like it if there were a channeled action non-combatants could do during a raid for tanks to charge faster 
    That's literally how city destruction used to work and it was awful.
  • Oh. Some other advantage, then? Maybe slows down the rate at which guards march, or cuts down the amount of guards that can be called into a room, or slows down the font, or gives a small damage boost on damage for the raiders or something.

Just something that contributes, isn't super duper crazy, and involves people that wouldn't ordinarily get involved.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Antonius said:
    Reyson said:
    I'd like it if there were a channeled action non-combatants could do during a raid for tanks to charge faster 
    That's literally how city destruction used to work and it was awful.
    People messing up the channel right before tick sucked. I never minded the exact mechanics, though.  I think a secondary method of getting sanction could be cool.  
  • Eh.

I am sort of opposed to that, if just because that's the kind of thing that's basically designed to straight up enable offhours/offnumbers tanking. "We're gonna tank you 10v5 and now there's no way to deny us the tank."
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Nazihk said:
    Eh.

I am sort of opposed to that, if just because that's the kind of thing that's basically designed to straight up enable offhours/offnumbers tanking. "We're gonna tank you 10v5 and now there's no way to deny us the tank."
    Im an "off hours" player. I've not been involved in a tank in probably three months.  As a player, it's incredibly disheartening to try to raid a city with 2 friends, have twelve people on their qwho, and not get any sort of defense because everyone just so happens to be going to bed at that exact moment every night. I basically shut down Targ, Eleusis, and Hashan the other night, just by entering the city with Jadys and Seragorn. Three factions completely cleared out almost. Would you rather me just uproot twenty totems? I can swing some gauntlets..

As for this "everyone's afk" bullshit, I really miss the days being afk was against the rules..
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Afk folks is just more opportunities for marks to get contracts!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Were all the Nish melees in Ret or was that just lag?  =)
     <3 
  • Severe lag. Every time was dead in a massive influx of text.
  • The first fight was definitely massively laggy for everyone. I didn't really lag after the initial one though.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    First fight was huuuuuge lag. I lagged on and off after that too, though. Phew.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • First fight is obv the one they targeted me first tho :(
  • If we wanna do raids, we should have a victory condition for defenders beyond 'disarm tank.' X number of attackers slain, or a time limit, or something like that. No raids is better though.

Also, if we do naval battles again, let's decide on a format before the war, admirals were arguing about how to do this for a while.
  • Maybe some sort of combined battle, even. Naval battle where the losing side has to fight a ground battle at a disadvantage of some sort. Ground battle that determines how many ships can be launched by each side. Run a blockade to land on an island for a ground fight, where ground fighters have to be carried in on ships and ones who are on ships that sink don't get to participate. Etc.
  • Yeah that'd be fun!
  • edited June 2017
    If you really want duels as part of a war, have them organised and not 'go at it when you want' because it's just going to result in what happened this war, every time.
     -> Each side puts x people in, neutral party ( Aegean or whatever. I dunno if I'd trust Shield for this, personally ) pairs them for what they think would be the fairest, and they go at it.
    Every win nets 1 point, simple. If anyone refuses to fight, then the other side wins by default.