Question about roleplaying

I was wondering what the rules are regarding character's history pre-creation. I know most people have "amnesia", can't remember the first 18 years of their life or so, but I had a simple story in mind for Zakkariah.

Basically, my headcanon is: Zakkariah is a human who was abandoned by his parents at birth, but taken in my a Rajamala Monk named Daigo, who used to live in Shallam before it's downfall. Living in a cave, Daigo taught him the basics of being a Monk, and general life skills. Daigo, being very old, eventually died and decided he was done with life, and allowed Lord Ugrach to take him, never returning to life. Shortly after, Zakkariah was kidnapped by the pygmies.

Now I know it's probably silly because this doesn't really affect the game at all, but is this kind of thing allowed? Obviously, there is no character named Daigo that fits that description, and anyone in game who was a member of Shallam won't have ever known him. But I was just wondering if this kind of backstory is allowed or if the default is "nobody remembers their life before the age of 17/18".

Thanks!

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    As long as doesn't go against game cannon/lore/history and you don't claim to be the spawn of an actual known denizen/person (without consent), you're a-okay and in fact, I would say it's encouraged. A lot of people go down the amnesia route just because not everyone has a story right away, but if you've got one that fits in well with the game world, go for it!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    As long as doesn't go against game cannon/lore/history and you don't claim to be the spawn of an actual known denizen/person (without consent), you're a-okay and in fact, I would say it's encouraged. A lot of people go down the amnesia route just because not everyone has a story right away, but if you've got one that fits in well with the game world, go for it!
    Cool! So it's ok that I'm using a made up citizen/denizen then? Nothing else of importance really happens in the backstory, basically raised as a vagabond, so no going against lore or history there!
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Yup, made-up people are definitely a thing. 
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    Yup, made-up people are definitely a thing. 
    Cool, thanks for your help!
  • Frederich grew up in nimick up until he was 18 and set out .
  • Mathilda is supposedly from Inbhir Ness who was captured by tsol'dasi and then sold to the pygmies. Die, tsol'dasi!

Also, I recall reading somewhere (it might even be from another IRE's forums) that the visible denizens + the player citizens are only a small fraction of the actual population of a city. So you're very much free to invent your own denizen characters as long as they're not flying in the face of canon. 
     <3 
  • I always thought it was neat when people make up their background. I kind of felt like a cop out to say I lost my memory, but on the other hand it did give my IG mom the freedom to tell me I was raised by merpeople. :)

I've even seen people pretend the whole pygmy thing never happened. I forget who... I think someone told a story of being raised on a farm, and someone came and raided and killed his family, so he moved to Eleusis. I might not be remembering that quite right. It was a good story.
  • Everyone has freakin' abandonment issues.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Zakkariah said:
    I know most people have "amnesia", can't remember the first 18 years of their life or so
    This is because people are lazy, not because it's encouraged or the default "canon."

The whole point of HELP BACKGROUND is that you can make your character history pre-Loom Island rich and detailed, though stay away from ridiculous/implausible storylines of course.

During the Age of Guilds, several guilds even required novices to craft their pre-18 history for guildrank advancement.
  • Krypton said:

pre-Loom Island
    whispers Loom Island doesn't exist anymore

(tbh I'm not crazy about the pygmy thing as far as background stories go. newbies are always like... 'why does everyone let their kids be captured by pygmies?' It's a great tutorial, but it doesn't make much sense.)
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    The Portals surveys as Loom Island.
  • Well I mean I feel like really it's only for headcanon purposes (and in case anyone asks IG), because only two or three people ICly know Zakkariah's story. And for those of you reading this thread that now know, you might reread my poem about the Oak tree and realize it was about Zakkariah #2deep4me
  • I was a farm boy from some nameless rural area. Parents killed by chaos creatures when I was ten. Ran away, lived on my own as a beggar, then was captured by pygmies and brought to targ. I was offered to bloodline several times but never did cuz of the story. Best I could do was be adopted unofficially.  You can go pretty crazy with what you do.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Torinn said:
    Best I could do was be adopted unofficially.  
    Why not officially?
  • Because there's no such thing as official adoption in Achaea.
  • Antonius said:
    Because there's no such thing as official adoption in Achaea.
    Too much paperwork
  • I'm a Rose.