Gold and the Unconscious Patient

I accept that this is entirely my own fault, but would like to see if the person who took my gold from my unconscious starving AFK body would be so kind as to return my 680,000 gold.

Peace!

Comments

• You might want to ask this IG, there are quite a few serpents who don't do forums.

• Done and done!
  • Also, if you weren't actively raiding and whatnot, that's kinda douchey

• yeap, pretty sure I was minding my own business in Manara.. it really doesn't affect me materially too much but someone else newer may suffer that loss more keenly and may even have stopped playing. Whoever robbed my toon robbed a 19 year old char... easily something that would turn a person off from playing a game.
  • It must be a sickening feeling to lose so much gold. So sorry that happened to you, Iniar. It's a tough way to learn to keep most of your gold in the bank. Walking through Manara with all that gold is like carrying a suitcase full of cash through the darkest alleyways of a gangland ghetto. Risky business.

• Theft is part of the game. So is antitheft. Teach your city and org novices good antitheft. When I first started playing years and years ago antitheft was pounded into my head. Now it seems like novices are barely offered any real help or instruction on anything until they're wise enough to ask for it. Not always but too often. If you make yourself a target for a mark you don't get to cry about being killed. Don't make yourself a target for a thief. And if you're so concerned with the emotional well being of novices then take this IC and teach them!
  • Sounds like we found our culprit.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Xaden said:
    Sounds like we found our culprit.
    Or someone who believes in personal responsibility? 
  • I'm gonna go with the former. 

• Xaden said:
    I'm gonna go with the former. 
    Your theory is yours. Which means it matters to me exactly none. And changes nothing of what I said. 
  • Theft sucks, would not be sad to see it go the way of the dodo.
     <3 
  • Mathilda said:
    Theft sucks, would not be sad to see it go the way of the dodo.
    Completely agreed. There are much better conflict mechanisms in the game already. 

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Theft is terrible mechanic as there is little counterplay if the thief just wants to be a douche.  You can what hire on someone (LOL if they are a veiled and/or never bash).  And the victim in these cases are usually some poor non-com.  Shoot, some Mhaldorian noob died the other day and dropped 130k and I returned it (this has happened dozens of times).  Thats still 60 credits worth of gold, so someone essentially stole about $20 from another player.  Not cool.
  • This may be an unpopular opinion but I like that Achaea is a volatile world and bad things can happen to you if you're mindlessly bumbling about. In addition, isn't anti-theft education a part of every house's requirements? In the three different organizations I've seen across alts I was specifically tested for it against a Serpent in the city. 
  • He admitted it was his own fault.

Regardless, anti-theft not really gonna help you if you're unconscious/starving and the serp is paying attention and times their shit right.
  • Achilles said:
    Theft is terrible mechanic as there is little counterplay if the thief just wants to be a douche.  You can what hire on someone (LOL if they are a veiled and/or never bash).  And the victim in these cases are usually some poor non-com.  Shoot, some Mhaldorian noob died the other day and dropped 130k and I returned it (this has happened dozens of times).  Thats still 60 credits worth of gold, so someone essentially stole about $20 from another player.  Not cool.
    As a known thief I won't comment on the rest - however, 130k is definitely not worth 60 credits!

• Antidas said:
    As a known thief I won't comment on the rest - however, 130k is definitely not worth 60 credits!
    Think he was referring to the 600k that Iniar lost.
  • Ryzeth said:
    Antidas said:
    Think he was referring to the 600k that Iniar lost.
    Oops, you're probably right...awkward

• Theft has all the counterplay in the world, it's pretty much impossible to get robbed if you set up any kind of defence ahead of time and don't sit afk with timeout 600 in random places.
  • edited June 2017
    Kiet said:
    Theft has all the counterplay in the world, it's pretty much impossible to get robbed if you set up any kind of defence ahead of time and don't sit afk with timeout 600 in random places.
    It's super easy to time pickpocket to land while someone is off eq from the forced generosity. You won't lose too much if you keep your gold in a pack with reflexes to wear the pack and put the gold back if taken out, but to say that it's impossible to get robbed is very silly.

And of course, good antitheft requires basic scripting, which is not something that true newbies tend to want to do right off the bat. And if you d/c then all the anti-theft in the world means precisely nil.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    pause system
    suggest action generosity
    seal person 5
    snap person/pickpocket person

Requires 0 scripting.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • edited June 2017
    Wow, you'll lose a whole 5000 gold. Truly the epitome of griefing.

I'm fairly certain that barring actual novices no one considers 5k gold even worthy to be qualified as a real loss. It's impossible to lose anything worthwhile, I should say, if you take proper precautions and don't go afk in a random place.
  • Kiet said:
    Iniar said:
    I accept that this is entirely my own fault, but would like to see if the person who took my gold from my unconscious starving AFK body would be so kind as to return my 680,000 gold.

• edited June 2017
    * Theft as it currently exists is a pretty terrible mechanic that pleases no one. 

* Personal responsibility IS a thing.

* I said it elsewhere but it bears repeating here: some cities/houses don't teach their people anything. The quality of some of Achaea's primary in-game orgs is really lacking with little effort being expended either by players or divines to increase it. You can't exactly blame novices in those orgs for being clueless when the most they can hope for is to be referred to some out-of-date helpfile on anti-theft written in the days of Seleucar. Nor can you expect them to know which groups are which.
  • Calira said:
    Kiet said:
    Iniar said:

He didn't take the precautions I listed as a condition for that, though, did he?
  • edited June 2017
    Kiet said:
    He didn't take the precautions I listed as a condition for that, though, did he?
    He didn't. But the punishment he received is monumentally out of line for his sin of having poor anti-theft. If he had lost only 5k then nobody would be complaining, but the fact that he lost so much over a single mistake is indicative of a plainly flawed mechanic.
  • I personally like theft, though I think that stealing from a 19 year old with a novice title is something of a dick move. When death is so utterly meaningless, it's one of the few things that can put the hurt on somebody. 

With that said, I would not object to it being removed. This is largely because anti-theft is so relatively easy that it is a crime that has a disproportionate impact on the new and inexperienced. I find it odd how the game takes care to protect novices from PK and undeserved deaths, but is okay with "L30 and up is fair game, fuck 'em" as their guidelines on theft targets. What's more likely to drive somebody away? A death and a minute of embracing, or losing the proceeds from hours of bashing because they can't script well yet?

• Eh, it was my fault for logging in after work; falling asleep at the computer was not part of the plan!

Hope whichever person took the gold gets to enjoy it.

Close thread!
This discussion has been closed.