Talisman Exchange System

So, as we move more and more into everything being gated behind talismans (as much as I dislike the system, I have come to terms with this fact), it's beginning to become apparent that the only people this system reasonably serves are those who purchase OOCly. While I'm sure this is great for IRE bottom line, it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of the player base. So far (please correct me if I'm wrong, ofc) the 'big' item in every set has had less than 10-12 completions each time. Which means the people who are already at the top are the ones completing, which leaves everyone else nearly SOL. I know people who went dormant waiting on Conclave pieces to resurface, they never did. Farrah has been trying to complete the music box since it was released, still no go. I've been waiting two months now for Blackwave to come back around so I can complete Mantle, instead we've had two completely new talisman sets released. I'm not unwilling to buy credits/spins, however I am very unwilling to take continuous shots in the dark and be left with nothing but dummy pieces, still trying for that one piece I need. It's not fun or interesting to me.

My point is this: The system currently is leaving anyone who is dormant during the promotion, or can't quite bash/buy up enough to purchase inside the promotion, nearly completely on the outs. These aren't like artefacts, where I can go dormant, come back 6 months later and buy it from the shop. The caches produce 2 talismans (and omg please stop with these damn dummies that do nothing and kill you for hitting them), RNG-based, so if you don't get what you want you end up having to buy again or hope someone else is willing to sell it and you can afford it. Rare pieces can sometimes sell for more than their individual ratio (tradein/pieces) because well, you just have to have the damn thing.

I get that this is an income-driven system, and I'm not asking to change that. However, I am asking that something be done about talisman sets being long outdated, but people still trying to complete those items. The disadvantage is pretty large, imo, so this is my idea.

We introduce a Talisman Exchange System, where the game randomly generates say 10-20 talisman pieces every day. When one piece is purchased, it's replaced in the Exchange with either the same piece or another RNG-produced piece. Or we could remove it completely and have the maximum pieces be 20. Every set is available in the Exchange (except dummies!!!), and every piece costs a large sum of gold. Say 200,000-500,000 depending on the 'value' of the item. Some math can be applied, I'm sure, to ensure that the gold valuation isn't less than what the talisman should be. Of course, any current set that is the promotion is not available in the Exchange.

This allows people to check the Exchange daily if they are looking for a specific piece, instead of hoping the administration starts a promotion with that set again.

Not to sound unappreciative, because I realize all of this takes work and innovation to find things to make that aren't balance breakers or egregiously flawed. I do appreciate those efforts and want that clear, but I (and I know I'm not alone here) can't continue to spend $200-300 every month on top of Elite and wind up 3/4 completion on a set that then takes me another 2-3 months to complete. I'd rather spend $400 and buy it out of the shop straight out.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.

Comments

• Atalkez said:

Farrah has been trying to complete the music box since it was released, still no go
    Has anyone finished the music box? I have never seen one used...
  • Not that I have seen either, no.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Not a comment on the actual idea, but I can say that there are musicboxes completed and pieces floating around to complete many more of them.
  • Makarios said:
    Not a comment on the actual idea, but I can say that there are musicboxes completed and pieces floating around to complete many more of them.

I think you're trying to make @Farrah cry, poor girl.

• I knew there were some completed, just nobody who wants to sell me the damn last piece I need (one song). :(
  • I'd pay money for some of the talismans out there, but not going to keep paying for a chance at completing one.

Here's my problem: you buy spins, you get tons of thing you can't actually use to buy talismans with (Artie vouchers, bound credits, arties, etc.). If you want talismans, you have to either ridiculously overpay on spins until you get enough unbound cr and pieces to complete what you need (alongside all the bound cr you didn't want) or you have to just buy unbound cr and hope you can buy the pieces off others. Then there's the catch 22 that the more people who do the latter, the fewer pieces there are to buy and the fewer people can complete talismans.

Would be nice to have either what Atalkez proposed or, say, individual talisman pieces purchaseable on the website some months. So you can reliably buy what you're missing.
  • That's why Seragorn needs to pool up all these random pieces so all of you can buy what you need. We need market makers. This too illiquid. 
  • edited June 2017
    I need a mantle enchantment, you don't have it and Seragorn doesn't have it. Whoever has it isn't selling, so I'm stuck.

• edited June 2017
    That talisman exchange that Atalkez mentioned, perhaps it would be there only for an hour in a day? Something like the special 500 credits you (used to) get via the wheel. That would make it rarer.

It would also create a market for the talisman pieces.
  • Only issue with the exchange I can see is people monitoring it, buying up the rare pieces, charging the truly desperate ridiculous amounts of credits for them.
  • edited June 2017
    Kazam said:
    That talisman exchange that Atalkez mentioned, perhaps it would be there only for an hour in a day? Something like the special 500 credits you (used to) get via the wheel. That would make it rarer.

It would also create a market for the talisman pieces.

Stuck in the box, but that would be terrible. Then if you're not logged in at serenade or whatever you can't even participate in the Exchange.

You're right Tah, could restrict it to one talisman purchased per day.

• Introduce a promotion similar to the Candy Cane currency from December. But you spend this currency on talisman pieces.
  • The first paragraph of the OP is everything I dislike about Talismans. I agree on that 200%.

ive kind of stayed away from anything other than Dragon pieces mainly due to knowing I'll have to pay through the nose for pieces and sometimes not be guaranteed to finish the set. The whole Talisman idea leaves a bitter taste and I think really widens the gap between FTP and PTP. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I don't like gambling so I stay away from talismans completely. I would love this market (or something similar)
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    There's still no point to Delosian Eagles. Would love to use 'em to get some more quisaliscloak pieces. Or hell just throw all the caches into the SoW like the historical sets are. At least then even with rng we'd be able to keep trying after the limited runs end.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • The worst part about talisman pieces is that you never know for sure if you're going to be able to complete some of the more rare items.

Being stuck with 3 of the 4 pieces you need and looking around for months sucks. I also can't think of any good solutions for that issue either.

• Lusternia had curios, which are much like talismans. They opened a gold shop for curio caches, and they were very, very expensive. I'm not sure how effective of a gold sink it was across the board, but I know quite a few people who dropped millions on them.
  • I can easily see that becoming the biggest gold sink in the game. Would be great for completing these sets too.  

• Doesn't Talisman Market allow for some element of this? Those are listed with a gold value

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Those are pieces /sold/ by players.
  • I don't see why if a given talisman set hasn't been in circulation in say the past 2 RL years they can't just be put on the SoW or something. That way you can keep putting the really popular ones on the wheel and they come up regular enough that you have a chance of getting something and you will know that in a reasonable time they will either come back or appear in a different way, and then the less popular stuff people still get to pay for complete but without the worry of a half completed artefact.
  • I love Tahquil's idea. 
  • In my opinion they have been releasing talisman sets too frequent.. i think we waited about 2 years for marks to be brought back... 
    The far and in between of releasing them makes them keep there value. I dont know maybe just me, but these sets you have to invest for the long game not just expect to get them all instantly when they are released, no fun that way.
    I like the way it is now, if only there was a way to place retired or dormant persons pieces back into play (assuming they release even amounts of pieces per set).

Oh and btw... you all haven't released a promo giving globe pieces as an option for a while.. globetop bottom middles and such!
  • Proficy said:
    In my opinion they have been releasing talisman sets too frequent.. i think we waited about 2 years for marks to be brought back... 
    The far and in between of releasing them makes them keep there value. I dont know maybe just me, but these sets you have to invest for the long game not just expect to get them all instantly when they are released, no fun that way.
    I like the way it is now, if only there was a way to place retired or dormant persons pieces back into play (assuming they release even amounts of pieces per set).

Oh and btw... you all haven't released a promo giving globe pieces as an option for a while.. globetop bottom middles and such!
    No one is asking for them to be purchasable on release. 

Having to wait for months to complete something is an issue. The value of the item is there regardless of the time frame, otherwise the person would just give up and sell their pieces. The value doesn't got up purely because it's rare, the value goes up because someone is tired of waiting for the thing and is willing to pay out the nose for it.

That's a flaw in the system, and people like myself have run dry on buying into it.

Whats the point of awesome new content if only 7 people get to enjoy it?

• I think intention is that not many are completed. You don't want 200 people walking around with a suremekh'neina.

The problem is that if you have 3 people that want to complete a talisman but only having the pieces for 1 or 2 and no one wanting to be the odd one out. Or when no one has the pieces you need. Or if that person goes dormant.

I love the talisman trading game. I despise not being able to complete a talisman I really wanted, even worse if you just need one more piece.

• I mean that they -want- it to be scarce, they don't want 200 people to have it. If they wanted everyone to have access to the higher end talismans they would just make them purchasable artefacts.

• Speaking as someone who has profited immensely from smart talisman trading and -very- rare OOC purchases, I'm pretty over the current way they work.

• Talismans are cool when they're fun utility or convenience. They're not so cool when they're essential more pay to win that's even pricier than usual and hard to find. I know it's hard to keep designing cool things that don't give combat advantage, but someone that's amassed all the combat advantage talismans would be at an absurd advantage over someone who hasn't.