New Forums

edited August 2012 in North of Thera
And I looked, and behold a new forum: and his name that sat on him was Vanilla, and an amazing experience followed with him.
We ought not offer only on one occasion, subliminally sublime sublimation.

Comments

• Posting this again for the benefit of those who did not participate in the vanilla forums preview:

I rely fairly heavily on the 'show unread' functionality of our recent few incarnations of forums. A similar feature exists here, though it is not (yet) prominently displayed. I've bookmarked the following link and I hope it is useful to some of you as well:

• Posting this again for the benefit of those who did not participate in the vanilla forums preview:

I rely fairly heavily on the 'show unread' functionality of our recent few incarnations of forums. A similar feature exists here, though it is not (yet) prominently displayed. I've bookmarked the following link and I hope it is useful to some of you as well:

Out of curiosity, how did you find that link?
  • The new forums are using the Vanilla forums software, so you could be familiar with it from other boards.
  • It seems that it doesn't list everything new though. It doesn't show new threads without replies, and it isn't showing the "New Forum, Altered Rules" thread.
  • Is there any way to make quoting less awkward? I might just be failing at this, but it's kind of awkward to manipulate long quotes in this tiny little box at the bottom, and I can't figure out how to get to a separate page.
  • Is there any way to make quoting less awkward? I might just be failing at this, but it's kind of awkward to manipulate long quotes in this tiny little box at the bottom, and I can't figure out how to get to a separate page.
    Have you tried clicking on the rightmost icon of the edit toolbar (well, second-rightmost. The smiley selector is the most rightmost one)? The one with the four arrows pointing outward? That increases the size of the editor box.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    This reminds me of WordPress. Just when you think you got the forums all figured out. Hopefully this is a change for the best, and the last one we see in a while. Now, time to get digging.

• Have you tried clicking on the rightmost icon of the edit toolbar (well, second-rightmost. The smiley selector is the most rightmost one)? The one with the four arrows pointing outward? That increases the size of the editor box.
    You're a wizard. Thanks!
  • edited August 2012
    It seems that it doesn't list everything new though. It doesn't show new threads without replies, and it isn't showing the "New Forum, Altered Rules" thread.
    The /discussions/unread page does have some missing functionality and unexpected behavior. E.g., here's one recent issue that reports some of the deficiencies. I'll be making suggestions for tweaks here on the Achaea forums, but for issues/ideas/complaints about the general forum behavior I'll be reporting that upstream to the Vanilla team.

@Eld - @Vadimuses is correct, I'm already familiar with the Vanilla forum software from using it on other sites.
  • is there any way to import the old forums? :(

I loved to dig posts from 2004 and stuff... and now they are gone

• You can use achaea.com/forums to get to the old version of the forums.

Not sure if they're going to keep it there, or just haven't moved it to its archive location yet. 
  • Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/ on this server.

• oh, achaea.com/forum - no s
  • We are probably not going to be moving the old data into the new forums. They have just become too monstrous and it seemed like a good time to make a clean break.
  • Need a way to block/ignore people.

• Jumpy said:
    something
    then immediately afterward
    Cooper said:
    Need a way to block/ignore people.
    I laughed hard
  • We need a way to ban @Cooper
  • Cooper said:

iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 69.65.42.198 --sport Cooper --dport Forums -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j DROP

• edited August 2012
    Rakon said:
    Cooper said:

iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 69.65.42.198 --sport Cooper --dport Forums -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j DROP

Noob. I miss ipchains. :(
  • Yeah, ban Jumpy. (I was actually referring to the "people" posting spider pics)

• 1. Is it possible to preview your post? I could only preview when I started a thread.
    2. It saves empty drafts. It shouldn't save empty drafts.
  • edited August 2012
    Forums need a way to edit the messages you send to people like you can in the threads. I didn't realise some of my embedded stuff was wrong so it just posted up a wall of text instead.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• XerXer Langley
    edited August 2012
    You can edit. However over your post, and in the top right corner of the entire post, you should see a gear that you can click to edit (or click to see an option to edit, and then click that). It is way out of the way and and immediately visible though if you didn't know about it before hand.

EDIT: You can only do so within a hour of the original post I believe.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • It's up to one hour for any posts made in the threads, but it doesn't seem to exist for the PMs :(
    You know how you can do "New Message" to a person's Inbox to start a conversation? That one can't be edited it seems.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• XerXer Langley
    Oooooh, I see. I haven't used that particular feature yet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • Is there some way to open the thread a person commented in? Currently if you go to someone's profile and view their comments, they can get cut off and you can not see in which thread they were made.

Also, if you click on your own Likes, it would be nice to see who gave them and in which thread or comment. Same for LOLs etc

• Loving that this forum has a good mobile interface. I just wish i could find the "Recent Discussions" link that the full version has. Right now I have to check every section to see if new posts were made.
  • Is there a way to add a 'view unread threads' page where it just lists every thread that you haven't read all the posts in yet? That was one of my favorite features of the oldold forums. I would love you forever if you implemented that.

<3

• There's http://forums.achaea.com/discussions/unread, but it doesn't list everything. It seems to ignore announcements and new threads with no replies.
  • Hmm, weird. I have everything marked as read but threads still show up there. Thank you.