[Mudlet] Nexus-like Room Tracker

I've been puzzling over this idea for a while, but figure I could definitely use some help. For those who have played serverside, there's a mini-console devoted to Players, Denizens, and Items in a room. It updates automatically when anything changes (enters/picked up/dropped/etc) and is unbelievable useful. You can also minimize each section if, for example, you didn't care what items were in the rooms you traversed. 

I'm pretty new to Mudlet and only recently started thinking about this, but my thoughts are: 

NEEDS
- We need to create a mini-console that records gmcpPlayers and general room items
- Changes need to be pulled to the console in real time

WANTS
- It should print the name of your current room at the top of the console
- Current targets should be highlighted in a different color 
- We should be able to minimize each section 
- Options to color code player names by city/class/whatever (kind of superfluous)

Is this do-able? Has someone done it? I'm going to start looking into this more seriously, but I'm very curious about any attempts or successes (!) that I may not know about. 

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Link in my signature for a people tracker. You can use the same logic for an item tracker (I have, although it was based on Valden's room tracker)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • ZahanZahan Valhalla
    I'll second Klen here.  This is actually a relatively easy task.

I've coded up a few windows like that in mushclient and nearly the exact window you describe.  Mudlet uses css through geyser, so it should be even easier there.  Getting the information from the game is easy as heck since it's all packaged neatly in gmcp msgs.  The tedious comes with designing the window.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out zulah's gui here on the forum, too.  It may do close enough to what you want, or give good examples of code.  
    Click here for Nexus packages
    Currently available: Abs, Cnote, Keepalive, Lootpet, Mapmod
  • Klendathu said:
    Link in my signature for a people tracker. You can use the same logic for an item tracker (I have, although it was based on Valden's room tracker)
    Based on Valden's? I'll take a look for that and Zulah's GUI stuff. Thanks for the help!