What do you look like when you fight?

Comments

•       
  • Truax said:

This is what I imagine Tru looks like when she curses "Inflame!"
    For half a moment, I could've sworn there was an 'f' in your name, and I was really wondering how you slipped that past the admins :D 
  • Anedhel said:
    Truax said:

This is what I imagine Tru looks like when she curses "Inflame!"
    For half a moment, I could've sworn there was an 'f' in your name, and I was really wondering how you slipped that past the admins :D 
    and i look at gif, she was about to utter 'f...'

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • edited March 2017
    Remilia likes to be flashy and grandiose sometimes, and is certainly proud of her appearance, but in a real battle she wields her sword more like a baseball bat or splitting maul, delivering pragmatic, bone-crushing blows as befits its nature (and the Weaponmastery skillset.)

"Calling it a sword is something of a misnomer, as it was really a demolition tool that happened to be sword-shaped."
  • Cursegunner, pew pew.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Remilia said:
    Remilia likes to be flashy and grandiose sometimes, and is certainly proud of her appearance, but in a real battle she wields her sword more like a baseball bat or splitting maul, delivering pragmatic, bone-crushing blows as befits its nature (and the Weaponmastery skillset.)

"Calling it a sword is something of a misnomer, as it was really a demolition tool that happened to be sword-shaped."
    Did you say... baseball bat?

What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    This fight between Mark Hunt and Ray Sefo is basically how I imagine all my fights with @Mizik, Jarrel, or Tanris were.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited March 2017
    So I've been looking for a good picture or something that shows what I think of with Bade fights, first I do like to think of Belkar when he used the dagger and bucker in this comic even if I am a 7 foot black tiger.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0613.html

For when I use my whip I think of Ivy from Soul Calibur, when her sword is in whip form. Garrote is what she kills Taki with in this video.

Lastly, my dirk skills are like the guy in this video. Plus this is how I imagine myself running around on the battlefield dodging or at least trying to dodge, and getting behind denizens for my garrotes'.

Haven't done alchemy much but so far I'm picturing the main character from Elantra, when how he describes drawing the shapes in the air for magic. That and throwing formulations like a ninja, while still running around.
  • I always imagine saying prayers while my mace is wreathed in righteous flame hands glowing gold with divine power.  Somewhat like my forum picture. 
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • I suck at chasing people... so this is pretty much every fight for me:

httpsmediagiphycommedia2JpneKVT8wkwggiphygif
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.

• Tyr in a nutshell.
  • Saeva said:

@Saeva

• edited April 2017
    Minifie said:
    Saeva said:

Best part of this isn't the shirt or the keyboard mashing, but the cat having saeva's same disappointing "useless raid mates" look.
    Haha have you raided with me yet? If not we need to! I will go with the C, D and F team and die 20 times and not get mad about useless raiders. It's the cranky and entitled ones, that conveniently have to leave mid raid when things aren't going well, that make me put on my disappointed look. Or the people who start blaming everyone else when things are bad, even if it is the other peoples' fault. I just like a chipper bloodbath. Don't care who is dying.

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Aegoth said:
    Looks like you have your Friday night all planned out, then!
    Have now seen. Yes, like that. 

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • This video made me really want to play Blademaster when I first saw it:

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.

Just as ridiculous.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • This was old Draqoom:

Draqoom now:

• edited July 2017
    shocked blinking sarah jessica parker GIF

The eyes are all Medi, the mouth is me IRL

• It is me!
  • BronislavBronislav Maryland
    edited July 2017
    First of all, thanks for raising this thread from the dead. Ever since I saw it, I kind of 'squee'd a little when I thought about the implications.

Maybe I'm a biased opinion, but if you get down to brass tacks, Serpent is as much a biological condition as it is a class. Yes, you have to put lessons in it like a class, but an entire skillset is based on secreting venoms that would otherwise be biologically IMPOSSIBLE to secrete. It allows one to twist minds, grow scales, have fangs. Based off of that, I came down to two conclusions:

• Serpent skills are innate.
    This was a huge one for me, because it makes the most sense: traditionally, in combat, knives/daggers/dirks are a secondary weapon to either be used against an unsuspecting/wounded enemy or as something that's better than nothing. Serpents, on the other hand, use it regularly and often against trained, competent swordsmen (among others) - and they are just as capable of victory as the swordsmen. Venom aside, I'd like to think that it's just because Serpents strike fast - they step in range, strike twice, and step back (or dodge a blow that most people COULDN'T) faster than their opponents can put space and/or their weapon between them. The more dexterity they have (or the better dirk they have..), the more exaggerated this is.

• Skill is the only thing that separates most Serpent noncoms from Serpent combatants (and artefacts).
    One could really argue this about everyone in-game, but it hits home the most with Serpents because it's literally ALL BIOLOGY with their skillset. Every Serpent in-game has the capacity to be among the best killers in Sapience on a biological level - but, so often, if one does not practice and refine what comes naturally, it's lost.

Artefacts, naturally, twist their owners into beings that far exceed what they should be capable of - but this applies to every class and race. :wink:

So, I'd like to think that a Serpent that is improving their combat via real-life skill and experience is not getting 'better' at using their dirk - and, while something could be said for technique (it's a lot easier to stab someone with the pointy end, for example), I'd like to think that the most skilled of Serpent combatants do one of two things: they are either bestial and animalistic in ALL of their movements or they are as casual and laid-back in their fighting as someone would be with mowing their lawn.

Taking all of this into consideration, I think that Bron's style of fighting is...Um. Hard to pin down. When he's fighting, he doesn't look like he's fighting: his stance is too relaxed. He isn't raising his shield up to protect his body as a swordsman would. He isn't keeping his blade pointed at an enemy. Instead, he's jabbing faster than his opponent can parry, stabbing hands, face, legs, and any openings in one's armor with a venom-infused dirk at odd angles. It shouldn't work - a skilled swordsman should be splitting him open before he gets within striking distance, but his heritage ensures that he's getting inside of that guard (though Serpents typically take more damage than most other classes, the aforementioned artefacts just make Bron a freak of nature).

I've tried to find a proper depiction of this that isn't the typical depiction of, 'OMG I'm the unstoppable master who can't be harmed ever', but the closest I found was this moment: Game of Thrones (least original thing ever, I know), when Oberyn walks in the room, he doesn't immediately SEEM like he's going to maim someone. But the little things: the way he runs his hand over a flame, the low menace of his voice, the barbs can all be picked up.

When he strikes, he doesn't need to think about it (even though I do!). It just happens. That's how I think Bron fights.

Also, if you've gone this far, you've read a bunch of this stuff. So thanks for indulging in my rant and vanity here - it's been a really fun train of thought for the past few days. :smiley: