Mudlet 3.0 final is here!

So long 2.1, 3.0 delta!

Mudlet 3.0 is the culmination of 4 years of hard work and replaces Mudlet 2.1 as the latest version of Mudlet: it's the recommended upgrade if you're on 2.1 or any of the 3.0 previews (3.0.0-delta, 3.0.0-epsilon).

This release adds many new features to 2.1 and fixes a lot of the issues that have been present in preview versions of 3.0 - big thanks to everyone involved!

Big features

There has been a ton of improvements in Mudlet, so included below a quick summary of the big features.

Variables view

You can now view and edit your Lua variables from within Mudlet! No longer are they things that are just "there".

Additionally, you can now get Mudlet to save your variables by ticking them in the list.

Windows sound fixes

Mudlet can now play sound again on Windows!

HTTPS downloads

Mudlet can now download over https:// links! This means that Mudlet packages can now be installed and/or self-updated from secure websites like Github.

As a bonus tip, if you're a package author, check this out for an easy way to install your package.

Double-click word selection

You can now double-click in the main window or a miniconsole to select a word:

You've also got the option of choosing what characters will the selection stop on - in case you don't want to select quotes and such.

Mudlet is now skinnable

You can create and apply skins to Mudlet!

Check this out for a demo you can try yourself.

Mapper API improvements

lot of work went into the mapper. Mudlet can now perform automatic quality checks on your map, a lot of the right-click windows in the mapper have been improved, custom exit lines creation has been streamlined, and pathfinding performance across large maps and distances has been improved. For coders, a lot of new functionality has been introduced - check out the API changelog.

Script loss issues

Development preview versions of Mudlet have had issues where they'd lose your scripts - this is no more and all such problems have been ironed out in the 3.0 final.

A ton of db: fixes

Mudlet's database interface has received a lot of attention and improvements, with a lot of functions getting fixes to work - work better, faster, stronger. If you've got a patched copy of the db: interface in your scripts, try running them without the local fixes so you can enjoy the new functionality.

macOS improvements

A lot of improvements have gone into the macOS version of Mudlet: the toolbar no longer goes black when you open the mapper, Mudlet no longer randomly resizes, tab completion works, and the new installer is really good-looking:

MSDP support

Mudlet now includes native support for MSDP! Protocol description available here, and as always, Mudlet allows you to add support for your own subchannel protocol.

Miscellaneous improvements

Below is a highlight of some other improvements over 2.1:

• GMCP data overflow on IRE MUDs fixed
  • Mudlet now detects infinite loops in aliases between the pattern and the substitution field
  • Strike-out text support has been added
  • nil and boolean can now be used with raiseEvent()
  • Geyser now supports flyout labels. You can build menus using them in a manner similar to insertPopup().
  • Buttons creation has been fixed

See here for the list of API changes.

Work that went into 3.0

Mudlet is an open project: anyone can contribute to the community, wiki, or even Mudlet's code. Release 3.0 was 4 years in making: 650+ commits, 18 authors, thousands of users (65,000 downloads on 2.1 alone).

Mudlet is a much different project compared to 2.1. Internally, we've upgraded from Qt4 to Qt5, all development is done on Github, modern C++11 is in use, and quite importantly, a very streamlined development workflow. Sounds interesting? Join us!

Looking forward

Mudlet 1.0 was about getting a super-fast, open-source and free client for Windows, macOS and Linux. Mudlet 2.0 was about getting that client an awesome 2D and 3D mapper. Mudlet 3.0 is a culmination of efforts of improvements to all around functionality of the client.

Mudlet 4.0 will be about taking on the world and making Mudlet international. We aim to make Mudlet enjoyed by MUD players all around the world  - everywhere from Spanish to Chinese MUDs.

Credits

This project would not be possible without the passion and free time contributed by many of individuals. We owe big thanks to:

Ahmed Charles
Chris Mitchell
Stephen Lyons
Christer Oscarsson
Colton Rasbury
Damian Monogue
Eric Wallace
Florian Scheel
Heiko Koehn
Ian Adkins
Jor'Mox
Michael Hupp
Nyyrazzilyss
Owen Davison
phasma
Phoenix
stratumnine
Vadim Peretokin

Discord

And, one last thing, Mudlet now has a Discord server! Join up.

Comments

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Woo! Skins and sounds and variables!

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    [ INFO ]  - Reading map (format version:16) file:
                "C:/Users/Name/.config/mudlet/profiles/Achaea/map/24-03-2017#15-39-
    58map.dat",
                please wait...
    [ INFO ]  - Sucessfully read the map file in 0.169083 seconds, checking some
                consistency details...
    [ INFO ]  - Auditing of a loaded/imported/downloaded map starting...
    [  OK  ]  - Auditing of map completed, in 0.237803 seconds. Enjoy your game...
    [ ALERT ] - At least one thing was detected during that last map operation
                that it is recommended that you review the most recent report in the file:
                "C:/Users/Name/.config/mudlet/profiles/Achaea/log/errors.txt"
                - look for the (last) report with the title:
                "Loading map(2) at 2017-03-24T15:40:17 report".
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• That's the new map QA Mudlet does. You can have a look at the file to see if you'd like to fix the stuff.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Sounds awesome! Going to give it a try right now!

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Question that may be stupid: is it a smooth transition from 2.1 to 3.0? As in, uninstall 2.1, install 3.0, and load my profile? Or will I need to ensure I have everything backed up properly in case something doesn't agree?
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Does the mapper automatically update a room change name? If the gmcp of a room doesn't match the DB, the DB refreshes the information.

Specifically for shop name changes.

If not, could this functionality be added?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    It did before if you were in mapping mode.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    It did before if you were in mapping mode.
    Usually a bad idea to walk around in mapping mode unless you really know what you're doing. Pretty easy to screw up your own local maps if you do that.

• Omor said:
    Question that may be stupid: is it a smooth transition from 2.1 to 3.0? As in, uninstall 2.1, install 3.0, and load my profile? Or will I need to ensure I have everything backed up properly in case something doesn't agree?
    It is a smooth transition, yes!
  • Atalkez said:
    Does the mapper automatically update a room change name? If the gmcp of a room doesn't match the DB, the DB refreshes the information.

Specifically for shop name changes.

If not, could this functionality be added?

Yep it does, mc on and off you go. Read up on how to map with it here: http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/IRE_mapping_script
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I am probably just missing something but is the spellcheck thing working correctly? I have it enabled but somehow everything shows with a red line underneath and no suggestions whatsoever for alternate spellings.

Also, how do I add dictionaries again?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited March 2017
    What're on - Windows, macOS, Linux?
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Glad we have the same taste in colour palettes. Don't have to make my own skin 'cause the example one is exactly what I'd do myself.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Shirszae said:
    I am probably just missing something but is the spellcheck thing working correctly? I have it enabled but somehow everything shows with a red line underneath and no suggestions whatsoever for alternate spellings.

I'm having the same issue, on Win10.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    @Vadimuses I'm trying to figure it out myself but just in case there's already a solution, is there a way to block skins from the text fields mudlet has in script/trigger/etc windows? Makes things hard to read if it ain't white

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Yeah the skin customises all of the different parts, taking out the right statement should do it
  • Is anyone else having a spellcheck issue on Win10?
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    edited March 2017
    Win10 here, working fine.

EDIT: Another issue though, 3.0 final seems to have trouble writing files outside of the profile directory, getting lots of sysDownloadErrors for unable to write file, whereas previous versions have been just fine.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Spellcheck error: https://snag.gy/HLxWct.jpg
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Ahmet said:
    Win10 here, working fine.

EDIT: Another issue though, 3.0 final seems to have trouble writing files outside of the profile directory, getting lots of sysDownloadErrors for unable to write file, whereas previous versions have been just fine.
    Nothing has been changed in that regard. It might be your computer blocking Mudlet?
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Maybe. Not sure why it'd block the new one but not the old one. /shrug
    Huh. Neat.
  • I believe the old one was signed, the current isn't afaik.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Hey, from what I can tell, reloadModule works great with the exception of one of my modules.  Errors.txt didn't have anything beyond mapper related issues, but I did manage to get this before mudlet just locked down. Hoping it helps:

http://m.imgur.com/a/BZFpt
  • I posted this in the Discord Channel, but I thought it might be a good idea to place this here too.

I'm having some trouble with my Groups. I can't single click or double click to open them (they only lock or unlock).The only way I can get them to open and show the contents inside of the Groups into a 'drop down' menu is by clicking the "add item" button.
    I also can't close the Groups once I've opened them via "add item" button.

I am on Windows 10, and have installed QDarkStyleSheet via Package Manager. (If that matters at all)
    These are the only two things that I have done since upgrading to 3.0 Final. 

I am new to this so please let me know if I've done or am doing something wrong to open them. Thank you.
  • edited March 2017
    Still no triple click for line highlight, unlike most terminal emulators. :(
  • I also had a few more problems, and they all seem to be connected with the QDarkStyleSheet Skin.
    The other problems I had were a complete freeze of Mudlet, where I wasn't able to type anything into the input bar.
    X'ing out and restarting resolved this issue.
    Another issue I had was not being able to see the checkmark boxes to click to enable or disable GMCP or MSDP.
    Maybe these are UI issues?
    Once I removed the skin package, everything appears to be running as normal. I can open my Groups again and the checkmark boxes can be seen and clicked.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited March 2017
    Is there an option to change the text colour in the editor, too? Or does the skin not apply to the editor? Back when I was using a skin on the pre-release, the text that told me the line number (which I didn't realize that I used so much) was too dark to read.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Amranu said:
    Still no triple click for line highlight, unlike most terminal emulators. :(
    A similar feature has been coded up and will be included presumably in 3.1 that allows you to ctrl+click or click on the timestamp of a line to select the entire line at a time. It also supports dragging those two types of clicks across multiple lines. I could also work out a triple-click for line selecting if people want that too.
  • edited March 2017
    Omor said:
    Shirszae said:

I'm having the same issue, on Win10.
    It's strange, not everyone is having this problem. I'm OK on my Win10. Dictionary files are the C:\Program Files (x86)\mudlet, en_US.aff and en_US.dic. Do you have these files as well?
  • Austere said:
    Hey, from what I can tell, reloadModule works great with the exception of one of my modules.  Errors.txt didn't have anything beyond mapper related issues, but I did manage to get this before mudlet just locked down. Hoping it helps:

http://m.imgur.com/a/BZFpt
    Could you PM me your module?