The Magicians

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
Anyone else been watching this? Caught it when it first came out last year and have been eagerly awaiting every new episode since.

Comments

• I watched it on netflix. Really weird show haha

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Been watching season 2. It's like the opposite of pixar. The adult appeal is blatant and over the top and the story/family-friendly stuff is buried beneath it all.

I love it.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Made it to around episode 9-10 of the first season. Got bored around then.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Read the books, liked the books, never watched the show.
  • I watched season 1, it was alright, definitely worth it if you want to kill some time with a light show. I'll watch season 2 when it hits netflix
  • Nazihk said:
    Read the books, liked the books, never watched the show.
    Liked the books too, I never really got sucked in by the show.
  • So weird
  • I haven't watched the show, but I absolutely hated the first book. I struggled through probably 75% (the second time around, I got maybe 10% of the way through the first time I tried to read it), then decided I really didn't give a shit about what any of the characters were doing, and stopped. It's one of only two books I've ever started reading and then not finished.
  • Enjoyed season 1, but got bored partway through season 2 and stopped.

• I enjoyed the episodes that are on Netflix. At first I was soooo irritated because it seemed like a poorly thought out spin-off of the HP series. But then you start meeting the characters that are more unique to the story. Like the alcoholic/drug addict bisexual bourgeois "boyfriend" type dude, with his gossip-girl bratty-but-smart best friend. If Magicians was going to be compared to HP, I'd say it's the rated R version. But really, once you get past the first episode, and the fact that they're at a magic school, the stories' similarities end there. Also... Some of it is actually pretty creepy, and the adult content is uhhh. Well, it's adult content. 

[spoiler]I can't say I'm looking forward to the next season though tbqh. The season finale of the last season on Netflix (season 2? I think?) kinda just unravelled all the secrets and didn't really give you anything to look forward to. Like... I don't really care about what's his face being the new king of fairy land, and everyone is dead and the stupid dramatic chick is now trying to make a deal with the "evil" guy who is really just an angry, sexually abused sociopath. We know everything about everything now, and it feels like the end of the story. The kids failed, everyone died, the bad guy wins, The End.[/spoiler]

So I doubt I'll watch the next season lol. It was good while it lasted though!  B)
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Netflix only has season 1. Season 2 is airing now.
    Huh. Neat.
  • I got really tired of the whiny entitled brats nature of the first season. Season 2 is miles better than season 1 was, definitely worth giving it a shot if you need some not-challenging, not-intellectual tv.
  • Really only season 1? Haha well I guess that's that. Pretty rough when the whole story wraps up in one season. Whenever season 2 shows up I'll check it out. I won't lie and say I'm not curious how they fix the mess they made! My best guess is they rewind it all and make it out that someone had a vision or some other scenario like that. 
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Nicola said:
    I got really tired of the whiny entitled brats nature of the first season. Season 2 is miles better than season 1 was, definitely worth giving it a shot if you need some not-challenging, not-intellectual tv.

THIS, FOR DAYS

Season 2 is way better, and actually gives the characters time to flesh out beyond "I AM SO ANGSTY AND BOUGIE WAHHH"
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Kiah said:
    Really only season 1? Haha well I guess that's that. Pretty rough when the whole story wraps up in one season. Whenever season 2 shows up I'll check it out. I won't lie and say I'm not curious how they fix the mess they made! My best guess is they rewind it all and make it out that someone had a vision or some other scenario like that. 
    Without giving anything away, it ends much differently than that. They also face an entirely new set of challenges in season 2.

• edited March 2017
    Kiah said:
    Really only season 1? Haha well I guess that's that. Pretty rough when the whole story wraps up in one season. Whenever season 2 shows up I'll check it out. I won't lie and say I'm not curious how they fix the mess they made! My best guess is they rewind it all and make it out that someone had a vision or some other scenario like that. 
    I wouldn't say anything is wrapped up at the end of season 1. Sure, most of the secrets and mysteries have been revealed at that point, but none of the problems have actually been resolved, and a bunch of new problems were just introduced. Figuring out what's really going on just isn't the point of the story beyond the beginning (season 1), rather than solving mysteries it's more about dealing with known problems.

Without spoiling anything, I'll just say that so far there haven't been any cheap solutions like rewinding time or revealing that everything was just a dream/vision. "Magic doesn't offer easy solutions to anything" is kind of the point of the series.
  • Nicola said:
    I got really tired of the whiny entitled brats nature of the first season. Season 2 is miles better than season 1 was, definitely worth giving it a shot if you need some not-challenging, not-intellectual tv.
    As far as the books go, the whole arc of the trilogy is basically Quentin's growing up and maturing. So his being an unbearable little shit in the first book is intentional, because he has to grow out of it.
  • @Nazihk I can cope with one unbearable and whiny little young adult trope, but it was every single character in season 1.
  • Nicola said:
    @Nazihk I can cope with one unbearable and whiny little young adult trope, but it was every single character...
    Just like Achaea?  *rimshot*

• I loved the books, I would definitely say check them out. I watched a few episodes of the first season, but I hate waiting for episodes in general so I haven't sat down to watch them on Netflix. 

My impressions of the characters were mostly a minor lack of chemistry although the awkwardness is there, which is hard to explain I just felt like some of the characters didn't fit with the others. I liked the effects that they used to portray a lot of the magic and appreciate the storytelling style, but as with most things, the books are better. Lev Grossman takes you on a fun journey that sucks you in and really makes you want to keep reading.