Help Picking a Class

Hello everyone! I've recently picked up playing again on one of my older characters after being away for several years. My... how things have changed in that time span! I'm honestly looking to start over as a newer character, just to hopefully experience the newbie feeling and grow familiar with the game again. I've become acquainted with the retirement program, but my character sadly falls short of the 100 credit investment, so I'll be starting completely anew.

The biggest problem that I seem to be having is class selection. Honestly, I can see several classes that I think would be interesting to roleplay as, so I'm having a harder time than I thought of narrowing them down. So, I thought I'd bring my problems to the wise, wise folks of the forum in the hopes you might make my choice a bit easier. In general terms, I'm looking at the following classes: Runewarden, Depthswalker, Paladin, Infernal, Blademaster, and Apostate.

In general, I have a natural preference for physical classes with perhaps a bit of magical flair thrown in, ala Depthswalker, but Apostate seems rather interesting. I've done some poking around on the forums, and I eliminated Bard simply because I'm not that great of a coder, and I believe it requires a certain level to be successful? I've also eliminted Monk simply because my old character was one, and I'd like a bit more of a change. Ultimately, what I'm looking for is a class that can do a bit of everything. I'd prefer one that's at least decent at hunting and capable of performing well at mid-high tier combat, though I'm unsure if I'll ever reach that level of skill. I simply want the options to be there in case I should. As far as utility goes, that really isn't a huge concern for me. I can afford to take an extra bit of time doing things if I feel the class is a better fit for my other requirements. I'd like to again say that this class is likely going to be completely unfunded in terms of credits and artefacts, so I'll have to completely earn everything I get in game, at least for now.

tl;dr I'm a newb. Please help me choose a class from Runewarden, Infernal, Paladin, Blademaster, Apostate, and Depthswalker.

Best Answers

Answers

• just go magi. Sarathai is a knight-fag. only talks about runies and how they're OH SO AMAZING. no. its rubbish. Go magi :)
  • There is more to life than holocaust bombs, Aegoth.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sarathai said:
    There is more to life than holocaust bombs, Aegoth.
    Crucible?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • After reading up a bit more on the specific class help files, I think I'd like to narrow down my list to Depthswalker, Blademaster, and Runewarden. Do any of them have any big negatives that I should know about. Are they all decent for hunting and combat? RP and flavor wise, I think I could work with any of them. I just want to make sure I'm not going to be subjecting myself to really subpar grinding.
  • I'm not saying the class has to be really great. I'd just prefer if it wasn't awful.
  • The race isn't a huge issue to me, but thank you anyways. Assuming that all three are at least average at hunting, could you tell me a bit more about how they fair in combat, @Farrah?
  • So I've eliminated Blademaster due to the fact that the customization seems subpar compared to other classes. I'm not saying I'll ever get artie weapons, but not being able to customize my loadout is just a big turnoff for me. I don't really have any questions about Runewardens, since it seems like a straightforward class. However, could anyone give me some more information about Depthswalker?

Which stats do they actually benefit from? How does the age mechanic work for their skills? Are there attacks balance or equilibrium based? I've taken a look at the skilltrees and Aeonics seems to be mainly a combat/utility path. Does that mean I should Trans Terminus for bashing after Shadowmancy? Trait recommendations? Sorry for all the questions. I just wanted to be a bit more knowledgeable before I make a commitment to the class.
  • Edelin said:
    So I've eliminated Blademaster due to the fact that the customization seems subpar compared to other classes. I'm not saying I'll ever get artie weapons, but not being able to customize my loadout is just a big turnoff for me. I don't really have any questions about Runewardens, since it seems like a straightforward class. However, could anyone give me some more information about Depthswalker?

Now I'm curious, what do you mean customization seems subpar? Blademaster weapons basically has built-in, albeit random customization when making their blades. It's also a quite excellent combat class, though it definitely lacks behind Runewarden in hunting (But then again, so does most classes.)
  • I was specifically referring to the Blademaster swords. I don't really consider something randomly generated like that to be custom.