Another form of experience gain.

To those  whom detest the long hours of clicking a button, grinding away as they slay creature after creature, do you believe another form of xp gain should be introduced to Achaea? Something perhaps for the more serene type? The passive type? The "im going to gag if I have to go bashing again" type?

If so, what would it be? Would it be experience gained via a craft? Perhaps a system introduced that works on renovating and running your city's daily affairs  in an RP manner? Give in your idea!

Comments

• It's called questing.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • I say you should be able to nominate people for outstanding RP, and give them a small XP reward for such a thing.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • edited December 2012
    XP for class trade/utility skills!

Small amount of XP for every correct concoction/transmutation made.

Small amount of XP for every finished forged material.

Small amount of XP for every Enchantment created.

Small amount of XP for every pocket successfully picked!
  • The pocket picking makes sense. There's some danger there.

Stay out of my pockets.
  • Sohl said:
    It's called questing.
    If only Achaea had satisfying quests, or at least more in general :/
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2012
    Asmodron said:
    If so, what would it be? Would it be experience gained via a craft? Perhaps a system introduced that works on renovating and running your city's daily affairs  in an RP manner? Give in your idea!
    Well other IRE games give XP for exploration and questing, so I'd start there by re-working different XP bonuses for those, I suppose. 

I also like the idea of Achievements in Achaea, but...Something...below honours line quests/kills but above newbie tasks.

• It's unfortunate that the coding is different, Achaea could grab a LOT of stuff from the other IRE games.
  • Not every class has access to crafting skills outside of inkmilling. Gaining xp from crafting would only encourage auto-crafting anyway, at least you can die if you auto-bash.
  • Aepas said:
    I say you should be able to nominate people for outstanding RP, and give them a small XP reward for such a thing.
    The only problem with this is that Achaea is already such a popularity contest. And what if you have been roleplaying for a very long time with a small group of people apart from Houses, Cities, etc.? For example, the Curia had some pretty cool RP but no one on the outside would know that. Same with @Favonius' crew of forestal Rpers a year or so back. Cool things happen in Achaea every day that no one knows about.
  • Experience gain (a small amount every month/serenade?) for any political position. City/House leaders, ministers, HoN, etc., with higher positions getting more experience.
  • Level 2 Hammer... pleaaaaaase? I don't even know what it would do, I just want it. Add extra refines to items?

• edited December 2012
    I've always wished there was a way to gain exp from emoting. The only problem is, people would just abuse it.

I love the idea of some kind of hard-coded rewards for activities other than PVE, PVP. However, when it comes to the stuff that I do, its not really quantifiable like forging or wealth hoarding is. The reward is the respect you ultimately earn from your piers and the power that comes with it.

Still, if the amount of hours I put into my work were translated into bashing time, I'd be dragon by now no probs. :)
    I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • Hermaldo said:
    Have all the smiths forge something in honor of one of the best smiths, give him a custom item or level 2 hammer.
    There's no such thing as the "best" smith, unless you want to quantify "best" as "has the most free time they're willing to spend forging", which would be absolutely absurd.
  • Delphinus' solution is the one I agree with. I disagree with just about all the others because:
    1. Will just motivate people to hang onto power (xp for positions).
    2. You should not need to be rewarded for roleplaying. You should do it because you enjoy it, and if you don't it will likely feel contrived and detract overall.
    3. The system would be gamed with friends just thumbsupping each other for not actually doing anything.

More complex bashing is already an interesting thing. LHG for instance has the makings of something very cool, if that concept was just expanded on (obviously you could do this for lower level areas too, it'd not need to just be for dragon armies).

• I like the reward for RP nominations idea.  Yeah, the RP of those who didn't refine theirs may feel contrived and melodramatic.  It would be -hilarious-.
  • Antonius said:
    Hermaldo said:
    Have all the smiths forge something in honor of one of the best smiths, give him a custom item or level 2 hammer.
    There's no such thing as the "best" smith, unless you want to quantify "best" as "has the most free time they're willing to spend forging", which would be absolutely absurd.
    Actually Trey designs custom rapiers and such, and RPs out that he's forging the person new weapons. So yes, you can do more! Of course a lot of time spent forging would be a requirement to be considered for the best smith, but it's not the end of it.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Mechanically, "best smith" is like "best at roulette". All you can do is get luckier than others or do it more than others. That doesn't prevent anyone from RPing otherwise, though.
  • Who said you had to be mechanically best at forging? In my opinion, the person that forged the most of a specific item is the best swordsmith or best armoursmith or whatever. So, yeah, whoever had the most free time they were willing to spend at a forge should be the best smith in Achaea.
  • Strikes me as pretty boring, since forging just requires you to reflex a bunch of things and make sure admin knows you aren't AFK.
  • That's what forging is.

Boring.
  • edited January 2013
    Sasiya said:

Who said you had to be mechanically best at forging? In my opinion, the person that forged the most of a specific item is the best swordsmith or best armoursmith or whatever. So, yeah, whoever had the most free time they were willing to spend at a forge should be the best smith in Achaea.

I've got the record best for a fair few things, and I turned off my forged item counter when I hit 50,000 rapiers alone because it was depressing me. I think I win either way.

Edit: so where's this hammer?

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Trey jesus man, did that count include every single rapier/item you'd forged, from the beginning?