Retirement: Starting Over

2»

Comments

• Yeah alting in different orgs at the same time is just a recipe for disaster, as I saw in other IRE games with individuals that did it. Drama does indeed ensue, mostly because the individuals dont know how to separate character roles. Not to mention the gossip and rumors that appear when it is discovered it is the same player in both orgs. Just isnt worth it.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    In regards to something someone mentioned about characters having story arcs and playing them out: I've considered retirement on a few occasions since it was released. Honestly I feel as if, for the most part, Kresslack accomplished everything he set out to do. Having gotten a taste of Seafaring when I just started Achaea, and taking the plunge into that part of the game at an early stage, perhaps his story should have come to a close a long time ago, leaving it off with his retiring from the naval scene after having a long career in it. Now, everything that follows seems to be nothing more than an attempt to chase the past or find a suitable distraction from it.

So I think that's definitely something to consider, but I'm not sure if I could ever go through with permanently retiring my character; not unless it was just a really suitable time and with a good way to end his story.

• Characters have story arcs. What is your next arc?
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Torinn said:
    Characters have story arcs. What is your next arc?
    Voyria

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited February 2017
    I'm in the same boat (lol) as you, @Kresslack. Mosr's "story arc" was finished a long time ago and now it feels like those shitty sequels that are only ever written to continue sucking money out of me.

Edit: had an extra "the" in there.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • But arcs are the best, so many cool new Bankais revealed.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited February 2017
    Jonathin said:
    I'm in the same boat (lol) as you, @Kresslack. Mosr's "story arc" was finished a long time ago and now it feels like those shitty sequels that are only ever written to continue sucking money out of me.

Edit: had an extra "the" in there.
    I'll never for get that time you blew up a district in Ashtan during one of your experiments. Everything was nice and calm and then suddenly....

@1:49

• But arcs are the best, so many cool new Bankais revealed.

Such blasphemy

Fillers are the devil.

(give me cherry blossom sword please)
  • edited February 2017
    Don't over estimated how other people will think about you. And don't underestimate how much you are attached to people thinking about you. Do what you want, everyone will get along with you, no worries. 
  • I've tried to stop playing Siena so many times over the years but she is my baby. If I ever retire her I'd be depressed for months.

• I did it! I retired!

• @Makarios Idea: Honours Line for retirement: He|She gave up the adventuring life on <day> <month> <year>.

It just seems that the first question that follows "Did they retire?" is "When?" or "How long ago?"

• Borran said:
    @Makarios Idea: Honours Line for retirement: He|She gave up the adventuring life on <day> <month> <year>.

It just seems that the first question that follows "Did they retire?" is "When?" or "How long ago?"

Glad you did it, now to find out your new Mhaldorian's name :>
  • Trying out other IRE games for a bit.  I may return,  but I doubt you'd recognize me. =P

• edited March 2017
    Retirement is a very good idea for some people, and a very bad idea for most people. You are still the same player behind all of your characters, and with some doing you can take your character from old situations to a new situation. That also means your new character won't be as utterly detached from the old one as you think. RP-wise, a total transition is not only possible but justified by IRL standards. There are -- in real life -- some situations that completely, abruptly and permanently alter a human being's personality, such as a nervous breakdown or being in a war. Instead of making a new character, which involves losing 1/2 of your assets, just sit down and write out the new character concept along with a believable transition RP for it. I've seen people do this hastily to failure, and I've seen people do it well -- probably few now remember Jhui as the quintessential champion of Nature, as he has taken Tanris's place as the head hardass of Ashtan.

People who retire or disrupt their built-up existence hastily may not have very solid reasons for doing so; many such people are burnt out, and after changing everything either go dormant for prolonged periods or retire completely. It's good to really examine your reasons for leaving your current existence and make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. Burning your bridges is a one-time thing.

That brings me to the valid reason to retire and start over -- you burnt your bridges. I know people who were very skilled and important people but they made the wrong choices and they flat-out cannot continue playing without retiring and starting over. It doesn't necessarily mean the person pissed the ever-living shit out of the whole game, it might mean he or she pissed off a faction, house, etc., or a set of them that they realize they want to be with and cannot continue without retiring. That in my view is the valid reason to retire, though it's still hard.

In my case, I've been in Cyrene since my character was 18, but I am the one person that never got over the Cyrene-Targ devotionist split, and I also would not renounce Lord Phaestus. I thought about it long and hard and went Rogue, though to my knowledge I am still welcome to return to Cyrene if I requested it. It was a very big change for me, but not one I regret. For me, retirement would be a very bad move, though I've considered it -- I haven't angered very many people or factions. But I DID consider it.

Retirement is a very expensive thing, both in terms of the character development you made and the money you spent. Think long and hard before you do it.