Mudlet and Jaws

KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
I'm trying to help one of the VI players with some anti-spam measures. She's currently using MUSH because it works with JAWS, but the MUSH trigger / scripting interface is much less user-friendly (in my opinion) that Mudlet's.

She's not wedded to Mush, other than it's Jaws support, and she'd heard Mudlet didn't support Jaws. Doing some quick squiffling around the internet and there seem to be conflicting reports...

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Mudlet 3.0 might but I used Mushclient for TTS support when I needed it. You can get some readers that will pick up the main screen on mudlet but the problem is when you want to make triggers or aliases, which does not work in my experience.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • @Makarios will advocate MUSH over everything else, I'm sure... It's not bad, but yes there's less support for it, so much of your learning will be done on your own.
  • I'm not trying to derail the thread but what makes mush "better" or more preferenced by some?  
  • Finkle said:
    I'm not trying to derail the thread but what makes mush "better" or more preferenced by some?  
    Can't speak for others, but to me it felt faster. Also doesn't really crash at all, albeit lacks as in-depth GUI capabilities that Mudlet has. (You can do minor GUI stuff with it, but not nearly as advanced/flashy).

Could be misremembering but there's also a lot more options for triggers/aliases etc (which don't require extra coding to do). Mostly I use Mudlet though because it's more visually appealing and, as stated, easier to setup/talk to people about.

I'd probably use MUSH if their scripting windows were better laid out/designed.
  • The first thing to remember is that an interface that is visually useful or intuitive very well may not be useful for a screen reader. Quite a lot of the time its completely the opposite in fact. I'll not get into pros/cons (client wars ahoy), but for accessibility mush is the better choice.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Time for me to learn how to implement multiline and filter triggers in MUSH... any pointers?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Having a look at JAWS - am I correct that people are using the $900 home edition? http://sales.freedomscientific.com/Category/11_1/JAWS®_Screen_Reader.aspx
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Vadimuses said:
    Having a look at JAWS - am I correct that people are using the $900 home edition? http://sales.freedomscientific.com/Category/11_1/JAWS®_Screen_Reader.aspx
    I couldn't honestly say, but would imagine so. The person for whom I'm doing the research has been using JAWS for a long time and doesn't want to change to something else

• I've had a look, improved some things in the connection editor allowing you to tab around the place. Making triggers is a pain though, those 50 lines of patterns really get in the way.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    every little helps :) can at least make tempTriggers on the command line using the lua alias for now.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Thankfully it looks like JAWS can be used for 40min for free until you reboot, so I had a play around with it. Looks like we also want to give inputs names so the reader can say what the user has selected.

If anyone has any ideas for the trigger editor, happy to hear them. I'm thinking it would have to be a special key combination that allows you to 'escape' from the pattern fields - maybe shift+tab or something? The difficult part is then communicating this non-standard method to the user. Each field can have a name and a description for accessibility reasons, maybe JAWS will read out the accessibility bit too and the mention of the key combo could go in there.