Ark: Survival Evolved

Comments

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Super Spyglass seems to be working fine.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
    edited February 2017
    I forgot to mention that some of the stats on the website need to be udpated. Most of the stat distribution and rates have been toned down a bit since I started the server to make it not ez-mode. Dino food drain is back at 1x (dinos poop too much) and taming speed is 25.

I don't like mods like Annunaki that add a bunch of weird stuff and dinos to the game, but I will definitely consider other mods that add more QoL stuff if people want them. Recently added the egg/poop collector.

Additional info: Server restarts every day at 7am (est or gmt, not really sure atm- haven't been logged in to find out), steam updates once every other week (Sunday), and mod updates once a week (Thursday). Wild dino wipe when new dinos come out, no server wipes planned as of yet.

I'll be at work today, so if you send me a PM for the password and I don't respond, that's why.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    do I need any dlc or expansions?

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
    edited February 2017
    Nope, we're on The Island (original map) because The Center has been a bit buggy, so no dlc needed. Mods are free and will install automatically when you join the server for the first time.
    edited February 2017
    Someone asked me about pvp. The server isn't strictly pve or pvp. Don't go raiding someone's base unless they agreed to it at some point before, you could be destroying hours and hours of grinding. I'm not really fussed about people killing one another for the fun of it, but don't be a dick about it and certainly don't strip them naked because "victory spoils" or some such.

Another question about player slots. Right now the server can hold 15 people at a time. I can/will upgrade if needed. If you have friends that want to play, I don't really have a problem with it.

The exception might be caves and/or carno island for full pvp (think free pk from achaea) or maybe even some other areas of the map if desired.

Also, sorry for posting so much.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    it is downloading but will probably have to wait until friday to play it

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited February 2017
    Rangor said:
    Anyone looked at conan exiles, and compared to ark survival?
    I haven't played this type of games before, and figure I need to test it eventually. 
    It's basically an ARK reskin that's just come out. Not very far into development as I can tell. ARK is also on sale currently.

Currently the Center map works fine, haven't noticed any issues with it recently. There's also a new map called The Volcano that seems to be pretty popular lately.

I'm currently just messing around on a highly pumped up server to see what the tech tier stuff is all about, but when I get bored with that I'll probably try to join this server or the new version of the old community I had that's up and running now.

• Kresslack said:
    Rangor said:
    Anyone looked at conan exiles, and compared to ark survival?
    I haven't played this type of games before, and figure I need to test it eventually. 
    It's basically an ARK reskin that's just come out. Not very far into development as I can tell. ARK is also on sale currently.

Currently the Center map works fine, haven't noticed any issues with it recently. There's also a new map called The Volcano that seems to be pretty popular lately.

I'm currently just messing around on a highly pumped up server to see what the tech tier stuff is all about, but when I get bored with that I'll probably try to join this server or the new version of the old community I had that's up and running now.
    Sadly, the sale seems to have ended when I went to purchase it. Trying to decide I want to wait for the next sale or just buy it anyways.
    Here's the Volcano map, which throws in desert biomes with all the stuff from Scorched Earth. It eliminates the need for buying the DLC or having a separate server to host the SE map on.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715028562

• AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Is it cross-platform or does anyone play on XboxOne?

It's not cross-platform as far as I know.

Just a support fyi, I have rcon for ark and steam on my phone. If you have issues, let Tyamat know or just say my name in the global chat and after about an hour (unless I'm sleeping) I should see it and be able to fix any server issues from my phone (granted they don't require me to be logged in).
  • So is this server still up and running? Just re-downloaded Ark the other day.
  • any chance we could get the levels turned down a bit? Like I only find lv 300+ dinos. Can't take anything down early game, even dodos take like 5 spears to kill. Get wrecked in one hit by most things too
    edited February 2017
    It's the mod. To turn it down, I'd have to uninstall it and install another and I'm not sure what effect that would have on other server settings.

I'm going to say that it's difficult early-game. If enough people want, I'll back up the server and do the above, but I can't guarantee that it won't mess stuff up.

Alternatively, you can ask Tyamat or me for a lift to herbivore island to get some basic supplies and then head out. I haven't figured out if it's possible to create a "starter kit" on character creation.
    Jonathin said:

Alternatively, you can ask Tyamat or me for a lift to herbivore island to get some basic supplies and then head out. I haven't figured out if it's possible to create a "starter kit" on character creation.
    There's isn't, unless you want to use a mod to spawn in a box of stuff. Most of the ones out right now though have a serious drawback in that they kill anyone holding one if the mod is ever removed.

edited February 2017
    So here's the compound and the start of my teleport hub.

If you don't catch Tyamat or me online, you can always walk to the compound- I built bridges. I try to keep one or two unclaimed pteranadons there with saddles for newcomers (0 right this very second, have to tame a couple more up). Don't mind the random bronto. His name is Phil and he guards travelers as they cross the bridge.

I almost forgot, for those that are unfamiliar with Ark or don't really remember where things are, here is a map.

The red dot with the arrow is where the compound is located. If you spawn in the south zone, keep your right hand toward the ocean and run like hell until you see the bridges if you want to get there.
    Mishgul said:
    downloaded game. created character. spawned where.you said..headed for water. picked up a rock. Instantly got eaten by an ambushing crocodile that made me jump so hard that I fell of my chair. 10/10 continued playing. 
    Please start a stream.

• Did you guys set up like a noob area or anything? All the dinos I'm finding are level 1000+ and I can't kill them.
  • gotta keep looking. I found a lv100 trike which I tamed as my first. Levels come really fast so get a rifle and tranq dart when you can. With the trike harvesting narcs I managed to grab a bunch of tranq darts and took down a 550 beaver p.fast. 
  • Can also ask for some help. If I'm on and not in the middle of my own tame I'll help anyone getting their first few dinos just pm me your steam tag and I'll add you
  • Im just trying to kill stuff so I can start gathering some hides and stocking up on meat
    3 mods and the game were updated after the automatic updates. I went ahead and ran the update script manually but if you don't automatically update on your end, might want to do that before trying to log in.
    edited February 2017
    I did some remodeling of the compound. There is an industrial grill outside if you want to cook up a bunch of meat quick. It's electrically powered, so don't worry about adding gas. There are also a few pteranadons outside the big gate for anyone that wants one.

Pin code for the big gate and grill is 0000.
    I apologize if anyone was logged in a few minutes ago. I got an alert that the server was acting up and had to do a restart. Bascially, the server was reporting erroneous information in the control panel and RCON and was using up a ridiculous amount of system resources. An emergency restart seems to have fixed the issue and I'll be monitoring the system throughout the day to make sure everything is peachy.
    Just a quick fyi if you are unable to connect. The problem seems to be client-side and Steam doesn't seem to recognize the Death Recovery Mod as updated, the easiest solution is to go into steam, unsubscribe and then subscribe to reinstall it. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it sure is annoying.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Ark server hosting. Every day is a new surprise/headache. 

• If anyone is thinking about joining the server, it is pretty brutal to start out on. If you see me around let me know and I can help get you started!
  • I'm going to probably join as soon as I can figure out where I'm going to free up 58GB

• Trey said:
    I'm going to probably join as soon as I can figure out where I'm going to free up 58GB
    ARK's sitting on 81.5GB on my hard drive currently, so good luck with that!