How important is the Achaean Mythos to you?

2»

Comments

• Krypton said:
    In the U.S., it would be like knowing who Jesus, Christopher Columbus, and George Washington Beyoncé are.
    An Arab, a genocidal white man and this:

truly, it rivals the mythos
  • OOC I find it an interesting read, but my character doesn't need in-depth knowledge of world history to make it through the day. There are millions and millions of people in the world without any knowledge of world history, even plenty who had schooling but simply because they weren't interested in history. I don't see how it should be different to the inhabitants of Achaea; some will enjoy and know about history, some will only have some knowledge and others close to none. Of course, history and religion do tend to go hand in hand in most fantasy worlds, so one could argue that religious people would know more about history because the two are entwined.
  • I've always found the Mythos difficult to get into (sort of like the Silmarillion - I mean, not AS dense but I have trouble getting immersed in both for some reason).

At the same time, I LOVE history and Divine lore and that love carries over into playing Aerei. So I don't really just sit and read the Mythos for giggles, but she does consider them more or less historical fact/record and often tries to incorporate things from the Mythos and histories into her art/design/work (her cooking finale was based on the downfall of the Seleucarian Empire, and I pored over those bits as well as doing some research on Meropis).

She is also a bit of an amateur historian/lorekeeper so she accords a certain amount of respect to the Mythos and histories, as well as to many of the older and more well-known player-created books.
  • I started reading the Mythos as well as the rise and fall of the the Seleucarian Empire only when it was raised as part of a task in the Scions. Once I started, I realised I couldn't stop and before I knew it, I finished the whole thing within two IRL days.

It changed the perception of how Marisella viewed the world, especially Meropis. There's a great amount of history there which can be visited, and she pretty much pulled her mentor across that continent to visit places such as the Asterian Peninsula, Sutter's Gap, the Atrousian jungles, Mnemosyne River, Judgement Mountain, Battlesite of Mourning Pass. Even sailing along the Tears of Sarapis or walking along the Vasnari Mountains full of aggressive creatures could get her to start talking about Achaean history.

Marisella almost always recommends that her protégés read about the Mythos and the Seleucarian Empire when they have the time to, as well, because she believes that history contains lots of lessons that can be applied to the present and future. Not many know, but her current motto is also taken from a poem written by Lucaine when he was musing about his life as a Blademaster and how he found love and purpose in service to Catarin. She likens it to her service to Nature, and how she also mused over her life as a Blademaster and how she found a worthy purpose to fight with sword and words in Eleusis.
  • So I've read bits and pieces throughout the years,but I'm really getting into it. Is what's on the website everything or is there more if you read the in game books?
  • Everything is on the website!