General Overview of the Cities

What's the general state of affairs for all the current cities? Are there any that have really standout roleplay or interesting goals? Any that have a lower or higher than normal population? Any that require/discourage PvP?

Answers

• Cyrene discourages PVP like it's the plague (but defending will happen once every 50 years.)  They've a house for teaching combat, but it's dying out.
    Targossas requires you to defend the city.  Doesn't require you to go on the offense.  Good idea to still learn what the shit you should do though.  If you want to go up, in rank, in the city.  Pretty much required to be a minister, aide to a ministry, or be a soldier.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Frederich said:
    Cyrene discourages PVP like it's the plague (but defending will happen once every 50 years.)  They've a house for teaching combat, but it's dying out.
    Targossas requires you to defend the city.  Doesn't require you to go on the offense.  Good idea to still learn what the shit you should do though.  If you want to go up, in rank, in the city.  Pretty much required to be a minister, aide to a ministry, or be a soldier.
    Cyrene doesn't actively discourage pvp, it just doesn't have very many opportunities for organized group combat (i.e. raids). There's always Marks, Dauntless, arena events, treacherous planes/areas, duels, etc. You pretty much only lose out on raids, but that's what people seem to enjoy most when it comes to combat, so to each their own.
    Huh. Neat.
  • oh god, I laughed so hard at @Daeir 's post. Bravo bravo
  • This is one of the best things I've read this week. Thanks, @Daeir!
  • edited January 2017
    Why Cyrene is so passive? What do they do all the time?
    Be wild; that is how to clear the river.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    HEY.

I spam Incinerate.
  • Daeir said:
    Stuff
    This just earned one of the very few "awesome"s that I've ever given out on forums. Good shit.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Antidas said:
    Good shit.

• Vesios said:
    Scae said:
    Historically, Cyrene was founded on the premise of "the entire world is fucking insane and murdering each other, let's gtfo and hide in the mountains so we don't die". That eventually involved into an isolationist city obsessed with maintaining their neutrality and refusing to take sides in conflicts - there's a law, for example, that prohibits any citizen from defending a non-Cyrenese in a raid or conflict. This law is part of a much larger, all-encompassing set of laws that can be summarized as "Don't bring conflict to Cyrene". Cyrene's goal is to provide shelter and a home for those individuals who aren't religious zealots keen on murdering everyone with an opposing worldview, those cast out from their former homes and looking for a fresh start, etc.

Cyrene's ideology culminated in them unenemying literally everybody and opening their doors to all citizens of all cities, whether they be Mhaldorian or Targossian, as long as they don't start trouble within the city walls. The city's citizenry is varied and on the whole, they all have varied views, beliefs and motives. The majority (but not all) of Cyrene's players are fans of "slice-of-life" roleplay: managing businesses, putting on plays and trading, with the occasional explorer or three using the city as a home base of sorts.

All of this has both positive and negative side effects: the city's non-combatant population is quite large and extensive, their shops are always well-stocked and you can easily find people to roleplay with, but the combatant population has been declining for a while now, due to the Shield being unable to find fights (because they're prohibited from starting them, and also because nobody raids Cyrene anymore).

They're essentially the Achaean equivalent of the pre-World War 1 United States: we don't care about your problems, we're not part of it, leave us alone.
    1. Thanks for great explanation! I will discover and explore a lot of interesting things about Achaea!

2. Why nobody raids Cyrene?
  • Scae said:

Nobody wants to have to listen to some of them cry at you.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Scae said:
    Vesios said:
    Scae said:
    Historically, Cyrene was founded on the premise of "the entire world is fucking insane and murdering each other, let's gtfo and hide in the mountains so we don't die". That eventually involved into an isolationist city obsessed with maintaining their neutrality and refusing to take sides in conflicts - there's a law, for example, that prohibits any citizen from defending a non-Cyrenese in a raid or conflict. This law is part of a much larger, all-encompassing set of laws that can be summarized as "Don't bring conflict to Cyrene". Cyrene's goal is to provide shelter and a home for those individuals who aren't religious zealots keen on murdering everyone with an opposing worldview, those cast out from their former homes and looking for a fresh start, etc.

Cyrene's ideology culminated in them unenemying literally everybody and opening their doors to all citizens of all cities, whether they be Mhaldorian or Targossian, as long as they don't start trouble within the city walls. The city's citizenry is varied and on the whole, they all have varied views, beliefs and motives. The majority (but not all) of Cyrene's players are fans of "slice-of-life" roleplay: managing businesses, putting on plays and trading, with the occasional explorer or three using the city as a home base of sorts.

All of this has both positive and negative side effects: the city's non-combatant population is quite large and extensive, their shops are always well-stocked and you can easily find people to roleplay with, but the combatant population has been declining for a while now, due to the Shield being unable to find fights (because they're prohibited from starting them, and also because nobody raids Cyrene anymore).

They're essentially the Achaean equivalent of the pre-World War 1 United States: we don't care about your problems, we're not part of it, leave us alone.
    1. Thanks for great explanation! I will discover and explore a lot of interesting things about Achaea!

The shopping is so arguably good and in bulk. While some places sell curare for 750 per refill, Cyrene at the Knights Companion or some other shop is selling it at more than half that price. Also it's a great place to afk if you can stand every cyrenian with a: soft, seductive, demure, uncertain, shy, meek voice. Enjoy the amount of kissing and snuggles, and literally watching hookups happen before your very eyes.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Reminds me why I left Cyrene. Gross.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited February 2017
    Scae said:

Three reasons:

1. I'm enemed to Mhaldor/Eleusis/Ashtan/Hashan and I like having at least one other city I am not enemied to, so that I can shop there. And Cyrene does have the best shops. 

2. As a Targossan, it's a lot harder to justify raiding Cyrene. Ashtan is Chaos, Hashan is Dark, Mhaldor is Evil, and Eleusis is Askin' For It. So they're easy to justify.

Cyrene, on the other hand, really doesn't do anything offensive. The best reason I could come up with is "They're not formally Good, so they're obviously Bad", but their shops are too useful to me for me to want to pursue something so tenuous.

3. You can't tank at all without a sanction and you can't tank properly without the enemy being willing to fight you a fair bit. Cyrene wouldn't do either of those things, which makes them a really boring target.
  • Ahmet said:
    Frederich said:
    Cyrene discourages PVP like it's the plague (but defending will happen once every 50 years.)  They've a house for teaching combat, but it's dying out.
    Cyrene doesn't actively discourage pvp, it just doesn't have very many opportunities for organized group combat (i.e. raids). There's always Marks, Dauntless, arena events, treacherous planes/areas, duels, etc. You pretty much only lose out on raids, but that's what people seem to enjoy most when it comes to combat, so to each their own.
    Standing around in a city, chatting with neighbors about business and the like is no less RP than preaching or fighting.

People visiting in Cyrene are not talking about the real world - they are discussing people, events, relationships, all within the world of Achaea. That *is* Role Playing.

RP does not have to be some overwrought scripted or impromptu drama.

The standing around and talking is more realistic than "Let's go kill somebody." "Ooooh. I'm going to preach at Strangers and convert them to my [evil/good] ways."

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• Aquil said:
    Scae said:
    Vesios said:
    Scae said:

The shopping is so arguably good and in bulk. While some places sell curare for 750 per refill, Cyrene at the Knights Companion or some other shop is selling it at more than half that price. Also it's a great place to afk if you can stand every cyrenian with a: soft, seductive, demure, uncertain, shy, meek voice. Enjoy the amount of kissing and snuggles, and literally watching hookups happen before your very eyes.
    Hmm, yeah, agree about prices - today bought some very cheap stuff, that was much more expensive in Eleusis.
  • The shopping in Cyrene is atrocious. 15K for 1K potash? gtfo 
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• @Xaden

We all know who got screwed by those potash prices.  I think she's trying to bank on him doing it again.

:open_mouth:

• This more or less sums up the feelings for Cyrene, sometimes.

• Forgive me for raising this from the dead, but its the funniest thing I have read in a long time. Cant stop laughing! Dont hurt me I'm fragile.
  • Don't be--this was absolute golden to read! And it brings insight to current discussions about Cyrene and Hashan in a newer city thread.