That "true-noob" moment...

So even though they seem pretty rare these days, there are things I find insanely funny and telling about "true-noobs" that makes it kind of obvious they haven't been 'round the IRE block before. I'm curious to hear what everyone's favorite memory of their being a true-noob is (or even favorites about noobs that have been created since you've played that have stuck with you.

When I started Achaea and was a genuine true-noob I was asked if I wanted tattoos. My answer? "No thank you, I like my body just the way it is."

They got a good chuckle and had to explain that tattoos were magical yaddayadda and didn't actually show up. I still laugh about it.

Comments

• I had an Ashtani character who could never leave the city after novicehood because I would walk directly into the bog and get lost. Ever. God. Damn. Time.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    When I first joined Achaea I joined Ashtan. Was told by someone I was allowed to kill any denizens in the game I wanted to, and they didn't clarify any limitations. Took that too literally and went after Ashtan's drunk and the executioner. Got in trouble. Fun times. Didn't last in Ashtan long, went to Cyrene after that.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Asking what happened when a door is opened or shut between them and the next room. Basic stuff like that.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • My first character started as a cub in the Sentinel guild. When someone came to help me get started they hoisted me and tracked to Eleusis. I thought they were some npc, because I didn't think players could do that.
  • Getting near strip robbed by @Santar and then killed after popping him with my bashing alias. Afterwards a novice aide spent over an hour helping me set up super basic anti-theft triggers on the orginal nexus client.
  • I was told that butterflies were a good way to make money
    So I caught butterflies till I was 19
    I did make a lot of gold...
    And a reputation as a bit crazy
    Still get the urge to go catching butterflies :D

• When I started I couldn't find my way around at all, I was using the free Gmud back then so I memorized Hashan and killed rats till I was level 50, took a lot of rats. It's why with Bade his favorite food is rats, way faster to level now though.
  • The ones that always crack me up are the newbies who say that they don't smoke and don't want pipes.
  • Nazihk said:
    The ones that always crack me up are the newbies who say that they don't smoke and don't want pipes.
    On a previous character a couple years ago, before I knew anything about curing, I decided I wanted my character to be the "wise old man with a pipe" stereotype, so I took up a habit of smoking goldenseal. I didn't get asthma and it was cleaner than tobacco, win-win!

Needless to say some of the others looked at me like I was crazy.
  • I counted ten seconds aloud in between emotes when I did my full member CIJ performance. And the only offensive moves I knew what to do when I still had the Jester class was handspring, drop peels, backflip.
  • Bade said:
    When I started I couldn't find my way around at all, I was using the free Gmud back then so I memorized Hashan and killed rats till I was level 50, took a lot of rats. It's why with Bade his favorite food is rats, way faster to level now though.
    I basically did the same thing with my first character. After leaving the newbie zones I killed rats in Ashton until I was 50. Maybe that's why I still don't enjoy bashing too much? Haha
  • My true newb moment is printing out directions everywhere, printing out afflictions and always going to manara to hunt gnolls cause that was mostly the only landmarked hunting ground at the time. Landmarks totally save me now.

• My only true-noob moment was rage quitting a character back in like.. 2011 I want to say because someone killed me when I was a Mhaldorian slave. Didn't play Achaea again until 2016.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Omor said:
    My only true-noob moment was rage quitting a character back in like.. 2011 I want to say because someone killed me when I was a Mhaldorian slave. Didn't play Achaea again until 2016.
    I was trying to remember my reaction to the first time I got PKed, but I literally cannot remember it, so it must not have been that traumatic. But then, I came to Achaea after getting killed in a perma-death MUSH on a char that I'd been building up for like 7 months so temporary pk didn't phase me. (Now, losing the xp back then when xp loss felt like you got ran over by a semi, backed up on, then run over again did get me ragey in my earlier years.) :lol:
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Back on Telnet and arguing with someone whether the word imp was a word or an acronym.

I won.

Ok, back to my hole.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • when I first started playing I was never keen on tattoos, so when I was first offered them I was very against it, never wanted a tattoo ever. To be young again...
  • Minifie said:
    when I first started playing I was never keen on tattoos, so when I was first offered them I was very against it, never wanted a tattoo ever. To be young again...
    I knew a girl like that when I was in Shallam, hehe. Adorable.

• I still have my notepad with the directions from Shallam (fish street) to Minia.

Man, those were the days.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena

• Imperian was my big IRE mud, but I tried Achaea first. I have very dim memories of being a very young mage, no idea whatsoever of what was going on, but being instructed to train ONLY ELEMANCY. I remember being frustrated, wanting try all these other skills. I remember the only thing that kept me to it was the promise of Firelash, an attack that was supposedly much stronger than punching with Stonefist.

I don't think I ever got there.
  • Doing wave and thinking it was wave hello 
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Torinn said:
    Doing wave and thinking it was wave hello 
    Not gonna lie... I still do this on accident sometimes, 16 years in. >.>

I just blame playing 4 of the IRE games and all of their predefined emotes being different. :open_mouth: