R.I.P.

Comments

• Trilliana said:
    Trey said:
    I mean, not that I'm emotionally invested, but right after Carrie Fisher's death, now her mother just got rushed to the hospital after what most sources are reporting as a suspected stroke.
    Yep... after fighting tears since the news, I finally started crying when I heard about that. I cannot imagine the pain Carrie's daughter and brother are in right now.
    Debbie Reynolds. She's gone...
  • HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    Ghia said:
    Trilliana said:
    Trey said:
    I mean, not that I'm emotionally invested, but right after Carrie Fisher's death, now her mother just got rushed to the hospital after what most sources are reporting as a suspected stroke.
    Yep... after fighting tears since the news, I finally started crying when I heard about that. I cannot imagine the pain Carrie's daughter and brother are in right now.
    Gods, 2016 isn't just taking our celebrities, it's doing its best Keyser Söze impersonation while it wreaks havoc.

And, Richard Adams, author of Watership Down. RIP sir.

• Ghia said:
    Trilliana said:
    Trey said:
    I'm actually back to refusing to cry. Not a healthy response, but it's even harder to keep composure when basically the last thing she said before her stroke was she wanted to be with Carrie. I'm going to watch Star Wars, make a little Leia, and know they are much more powerful now as they are one with the Force.
    meh

• two days ago i watched Rogue One. a day ago, Carrier Fisher died. :( May the force be with you...

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Trey said:

In light of what's happened these last couple of days, there's now a GoFundMe to raise money to protect Betty through the rest of 2016:

https://www.gofundme.com/help-protect-betty-white-from-2016
  • Liz Smith as well. :( What the hey, world?
  • And the guy that invented the red Solo cup. :(

• You guys realize that thousands of people die every day right? Just in the time it took you to read this there were two still Borns a heart attack and someone had a stroke. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • I really don't understand the out pouring of grief when celebrities die, especially on social media. It's like a competition to see who's the most upset. 

When we lose someone like Carrie Fisher I can fully understand people being upset, her job brought an element of joy to those who enjoyed what she did. However, so does my local butcher. For those who never met her saying they are "devastated" just seems like attention seeking, sure, be upset someone has died, but I used "devastated" when I lost my best friend in June, and there's not a chance in hell I would use that phrase for an actor who was in a film I watched once. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sobriquet said:
    I really don't understand the out pouring of grief when celebrities die, especially on social media. It's like a competition to see who's the most upset. 

When we lose someone like Carrie Fisher I can fully understand people being upset, her job brought an element of joy to those who enjoyed what she did. However, so does my local butcher. For those who never met her saying they are "devastated" just seems like attention seeking, sure, be upset someone has died, but I used "devastated" when I lost my best friend in June, and there's not a chance in hell I would use that phrase for an actor who was in a film I watched once. 

What? Your local butcher died? I'm devastated, beside myself with grief. Cancel all the things, if you need me, I'll be in mourning

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • He really was a cut above the rest

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sobriquet said:
    He really was a cut above the rest
    You're not kidneying

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • If you had a bespoke order, he'd always do his best to fillet.

• Thread over

• Khairt said:
    Thread over
    And now I hope my passing (when it happens) results in no one giving a shit. The lack of empathy is disturbing.
    meh

• Lack of empathy? I feel for the guy who just lost his sister and mother, that's beyond tragic. As someone who has gone through the loss of a parent I have some empathy wirh the Fisher family. Does it make me want to break down in tears and post all over Facebook how devastated I am? No. 

Dont mistake my post for a lack of empathy or sympathy, but if I did that for everyone who died i'd not be a functional human being, I save that for the people who truely matter to me.

Sobriquet said:
    Lack of empathy? I feel for the guy who just lost his sister and mother, that's beyond tragic. As someone who has gone through the loss of a parent I have some empathy wirh the Fisher family. Does it make me want to break down in tears and post all over Facebook how devastated I am? No. 

Dont mistake my post for a lack of empathy or sympathy, but if I did that for everyone who died i'd not be a functional human being, I save that for the people who truely matter to me.
    Definitely a meaty topic; our sympathies lie with common celebrities that're bigger than life -- people that helped shape our imagination and spark our interests in ways perhaps we would not have otherwise known. Everyone places different import upon each and thusly, some are more hurt or moved by their passing.

I'm with @Sobriquet -- I feel for the man who lost two family members a day apart from each other at the holiday season. I'm sure you all would give a bit of sympathy for me, as someone who lost an uncle and grandparent two days apart during the holidays, but I think it's more reasonable that we find solace in each others' fleeting mourning for celebrities that've shuffled off rather than a huge out-pouring of text emotion at every passing.

Let's keep this post going for the fluff it is and an homage to our disappointment in 2016.

Truax said:
    The first time I felt genuine sorrow over a celebrity's passing was when Robin Williams died. 
    Don't know if I'll be able to watch Dead Poet's Society; his scene crying towards the end made me dusty (when he was alive).

Haven't had the gut punch feeling yet with a celebrity passing, but 2016 was pretty thick with "OMG, no way!"

• Meh for me as a medic in the army I'm probably a bit jaded. Seen plenty of death. Men women children. Maybe I should be softer about it but ugh it's just not in me anymore. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• M*A*S*H is my all time favorite show. Another sad loss 
  • John Hurt is gone. :(
  • We should start a new 2017 thread for this, imo, see if it can beat 2016's pagecount.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Elsam said:
    John Hurt is gone. :(
    @Elsam you just ruined my day. God damnit.
    Huh. Neat.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Elsam said:
    John Hurt is gone. :(
    Goodbye, Chancellor. Thank you for all the things you've done, and all the things you might have done.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Whoever brought up Robin Williams, fuck you. He was.... I can't describe it. Good Morning Vietnam. Everything. I saw What Dreams May Come when I was like 10. Even then it was haunting. It was everything you wanted to believe a human being could be. Could endure. Even weird shit like Jumanji. He made characters that felt so connected and humane. As a former actor turned lawyer (courtroom act/monkey) I love his work and cry still. He's one of the best to exist